LLC State choice

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

LLC State choice

Post by NYGman »

Wondering if there was any specific reason why an investment company would form its LLC in a state other than Delaware, besides potentially being the state of domicile for those founding the fund or just where their office happens to be. I just saw this on docs I was reviewing, and It seemed a bit out of place to me. It got me thinking whether certain states may inadvertently facilitate either US Tax evasion, or just general global tax evasion. I am not talking Montana LLCs registering cars to avoid local state sales tax on car purchases, thats a loophole. I know states like Nevada and North Dakota (or is that south) have some great secrecy laws, and other rules that may help estate planning (not my area), but can help non-US persons evade their local tax, but I thought that only applied to trusts in those Jurisdictions, not LLC's. I just reviewed documents for a non-Delaware US LLC investment fund, so they are out there. My question is could this somehow be tax driven, or is it just an innocuous choice based on where their office is located?
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.