Canadian tax court?

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Canadian tax court?

Post by Arthur Rubin »

A customer at JustAnswer is saying something about Tax Court in Canada. Before I decide to take him as a quasi-client, I'd like to know if there is such a thing....

[edited] Yes, there are Tax Protesters who post to JustAnswer. One of them actually accepted my answer that his position was frivolous.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
TBL
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Canadian tax court?

Post by TBL »

This sounds like a job for *cue impressive music* Burnaby49!
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm A customer at JustAnswer is saying something about Tax Court in Canada. Before I decide to take him as a quasi-client, I'd like to know if there is such a thing....

[edited] Yes, there are Tax Protesters who post to JustAnswer. One of them actually accepted my answer that his position was frivolous.
https://www.tcc-cci.gc.ca/tcc-cci_Eng/Index.html
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

I know the Tax court well, I first testified there in 1978 (when it was known as the Tax Review Board) and I've testified at the court perhaps twenty times in subsequent years. I also, after more than a decade of retirement, still read every Tax Court decision.

The Tax Court of Canada has the mandate to hear all Canadian income tax appeals. It is the only Canadian court allowed to hear income tax appeal issues. Appeals from Tax Court decisions are heard by the Federal Court of Canada.

So, yes, if your potential client is talking about a Tax Court appeal it may well be a legitimate appeal but, as noted, the Tax Court of Canada, like your tax court, hears many totally meritless appeals. I'm reading one right now on my daily update to do with bogus charitable donations.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs