Mormon Church Tax Trouble?

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Mormon Church Tax Trouble?

Post by Number Six »

This story hit recently on the Mormon Church and possible tax cheating: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/18/us/latte ... index.html

Does any professional want to project a likely outcome in this? A politically well connected church may not have to be in compliance like lesser ones?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Mormon Church Tax Trouble?

Post by Jeffrey »

Churches are tax exempt so I don’t see what the problem is.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Tax law isn't my thing, but methinks the whistleblower may also be an axegrinder. :?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Judge Roy Bean wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56 pm Tax law isn't my thing, but methinks the whistleblower may also be an axegrinder. :?
It's their retirement fund.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

Per a report on NPR the other day, there is a separate legal entity that was set up as an investment fund of some kind. It has accumulated around $100 billion of assets.

The report said there may be an issue that the fund should have been making charitable contributions or using the funds for charitable purposes, but has not been dispersing funds.

I don't know enough about private foundation, charitable trusts, etc. to know if there is potential exposure for excise taxes if the fund has not been dispersing funds as required.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

With tax avoidance schemes by "churches" and their charities, there usually are some serious professionals in and out of the tax agencies to hold them accountable, at least trying to. But some churches have extensive tentacles throughout the establishment, so you wonder if there are smoking guns, whether the Mormon churches potential evaders would be held accountable.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I’ll take a fact check on it but I always assumed there was no requirement for spending funds on charitable activities. They’re free to accumulate money.