Coronovirus Emergency Family and Medical Leave Payments

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Coronovirus Emergency Family and Medical Leave Payments

Post by noblepa »

I just received my W2 from my employer. I work for the local county government, but I don't think that is really relevant to my question.

Along with the W2, I received a letter, saying that I had received $2,958.46 in "qualified emergency family leave wages under the Families First Coronovirus Response Act".

My question is: is this income taxable at normal rates? Is it subject to some sort of tax credit?

The amount came through the normal payroll process and was included in my normal paycheck, so I assume that the amount is included in my gross income as shown on the W2.

A quick look at the 2020 form 1040 and associated instructions seems to indicate that this is fully taxable at normal rates and not subject to any sort of deduction or tax credit. Is this correct?

If it is fully taxable, then, I don't need to do anything special when I file my return, right?
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Re: Coronovirus Emergency Family and Medical Leave Payments

Post by jcolvin2 »

Fully taxable to you. I would guess it was separately stated because your employer received a tax credit in the amount of the payment and was not subject to the employer share of the SS tax on it.