Tax Cuts and the Economy

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Tax Cuts and the Economy

Post by Number Six »

This research paper looks pretty thorough and definitive to me on the question of major tax cuts and the economy:

https://academic.oup.com/ser/article/20/2/539/6500315

Here is one comment I found unconvincing:

"Post hoc ergo propter hoc - a common fallacy. Statistical analysis is entirely the wrong approach here. What is the correct approach? Class analysis - Marxist or Austrian - these are the same thing in my book. CF Hoppe: https://cdn.mises.org/9_2_5_0.pdf

"There is always only this war - the super-rich vs the rich & working classes. The former seek to profit largely by pushing paper around (EG acquistions & stock buybacks) or enacting regulation via the administrative state instead of producing goods & services that people want to buy. The latter are the productive classes.

"The remedy for this is not to take away the property of the productive classes by raising taxes but to prohibit the parasitical activities of the corrupt & depraved super-rich."

Usually in these arguments people have an ideological or practical bias. They have been personally benefitted by tax cuts in their part of the world. They are loathe to acknowledge all that have not been helped by "trickle down" effects after a tax cut goes into effect.

Anyone here with probably more street smarts or book smarts than I have want to comment?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Re: Tax Cuts and the Economy

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Heather Cox Richardson in her "Letters from an American" frequently discusses the differences in economic policy between the major American political parties. She also provides footnotes. She is a political historian. She has an obvious liberal bias. However, When she discusses the economic growth from tax cuts on the top levels versus programs that enlarge the middle class, she can cite studies regarding the effects. Possibly worth checking out.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.