Will the new IRS funding be enough?

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Will the new IRS funding be enough?

Post by Number Six »

We've all heard about the new $80 Billion in funding for the IRS over a number of years. Will this be enough to improve service and compliance and how long will it take to bring them up to the point where they will be back to prior effectiveness?
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Re: Will the new IRS funding be enough?

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Number Six wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:36 pm We've all heard about the new $80 Billion in funding for the IRS over a number of years. Will this be enough to improve service and compliance....
I didn't know they were planning to improve service. [sarcasm]Why would they need 80,000 armed IRS personnel to improve service?[/sarcasm]
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I'd really like to know what portions go toward taxpayer services (which pretty much don't exist anymore) versus enforcement.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

All the cutbacks over the years drained the IRS of quality personnel. It takes a while to train or bring back qualified professionals to do the job. Hopefully the hiring incentives are sufficient.

Audits collapsed in the last administration:
https://www.dcreport.org/2021/06/26/how ... -off-easy/
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)