Foreclosure v. short sale

Practical and Practice issues for Professionals who practice in the area of taxation. Moral, social and economic issues relating to taxes, including international issues, the U.S. Internal Revenue Code, state tax issues, etc. Not for "tax protestor" issues, which should be posted in the "tax protestor" forum above. The advice or opinion given herein should not be relied on for any purpose whatsoever. Also examines cookie-cutter deals that have no economic substance but exist only to generate losses, as marketed by everybody from solo practitioner tax lawyers to the major accounting firms.
iplawyer

Foreclosure v. short sale

Post by iplawyer »

All - what are the differences in tax consequences? My daughter's boyfriend is way under water and lost his job. He needs advice. Thanks.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Foreclosure v. short sale

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Some questions:
What state?
Who is servicing the loan?
How old is the loan?
Are there any second mortgages involved?
Any prior bankruptcy?

Depending on where he lives, the age (seasoning) and the housing market, the servicer may prefer a foreclosure to a short-sale. Trust me, the fees they add on a foreclosure can be significant and some of them will try to recover a deficiency that includes them.

The primary issue being wrestled with in many of these cases is the servicer's decision on issuance of a 1099. With securitized loans, there is no penalty if they don't. The fact is, in some circumstances they can't square what they say is owed on the loan with what they actually are going to report on their own reports and tax filings and the IRS has given them a pass in those cases. (I think the law that protects borrower/taxpayers in these circumstances is still in effect, but I'm sure the tax experts here will know with more certainty.)
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

Texas
I don't know who is servicing but will find out.
Loan is under two years old.
No second mortgage.
No prior bankruptcy.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

In Texas, deficiencies on homesteads are difficult to assert. You need to review the Property Code, but I suspect that the deficiency will vanish. That leaves the forgiveness of indebtedness income issue, which turns on solvency and will, at the very least, remove any positive tax attributes. Since this is a sale of a homestead, does anyone know if forgiveness is affected by the tax free homestead gain provisions?

Short sales are more and more acceptable if there are no subordinate liens.
"My Health is Better in November."
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

How will the forgiveness affect IRS liability?
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Forgiveness of a debt, unless (among other exceptions) the taxpayer is technically insolvent at the time of forgiveness, constitutes income imputed to the taxpayer.

If a lender forgives, say $100,000, it will issue a 1099 reflecting that amount to both the debtor and the IRS.

The debtor must report that income on the next year's tax return or submit documentation as to insolvency.

Note: These mortgage write-offs are usually big enough dollar amounts to generate one of a number of stiff penalties unless properly reported and handled.
Investor

Post by Investor »

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/ ... 14,00.html

He should be fine, as long as he lived in the home as his primary residence for the past 2 years.

EDIT: iPlawyer, I have a bit of experience in helping people with these deals. Feel free to send me a private message if you want my off the cuff take on the process.

DOUBLE EDIT: to answer the original question of this thread, there is no difference (at least not in terms of federal income tax). The tax obligation does not arise from the method by which the home is lost, but rather from the forgiveness of debt, which will likely be the same in either instance...assuming a deficiency judgment doesn't follow the foreclosure; I wouldn't agree to a short sale unless the lender agreed in writing that the deficiency is waived.
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

I thought that there was some recent legislation that made the forgiveness of debt in a forclosure not taxable?
Investor

Post by Investor »

iplawyer wrote:I thought that there was some recent legislation that made the forgiveness of debt in a forclosure not taxable?
It isn't just foreclosures, it is any "Debt reduced through mortgage restructuring, as well as mortgage debt forgiven in connection with a foreclosure, qualifies for the relief." (from the link I provided above). Short Sales are merely restructuring of mortgage loans and fall within the scope of this legislation.
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

Thanks.