What should I do on my day off?

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

What should I do on my day off?

Post by Famspear »

Monday, October 19 will be my first day off in about six years.

What I mean by that is: All my Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are spent with my wife, taking care of our child, who is disabled, which means that we live under high stress at all times we are not at our jobs. In the past six years, the only days that I have had to myself involved attending two family funerals and attending continuing education classes for attorney and CPA license requirements.

On Monday, from about 8:00 to 5:00, I will have free time.

How should I spend my day off? How would you spend your day off?
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: What should I do on my day off?

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

If you aren't already a pilot, take an introductory flying lesson.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

8:00 - 5:00 -- Nine Hours.

Seems like barely enough time to sit down with the important people in your life and count the blessings you all share.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
bmxninja357
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by bmxninja357 »

Turn off the phone and computer. Head to that little restaurant you love but haven't been to in years. Grab a newspaper on the way. Just spend a couple hours eating, reading and thinking.

Peace
Ninj
whoever said laughter is the best medicine never had gonorrhea....
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

bmxninja357 wrote:Turn off the phone and computer. Head to that little restaurant you love but haven't been to in years. Grab a newspaper on the way. Just spend a couple hours eating, reading and thinking.

Peace
Ninj
A lot better than my thought which involved beer. But get two newspapers and have a beer while you're at it.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Connect with a life-long friend and spend the day with them. Nothing is better for the brain than reliving old memories and creating new ones.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Park. Walk. Used book store. Coffee house. If it's a nice day, sit on a park bench in the sun with your coffee and books. Smile at kids, admire pretty women (without them noticing,) scritch a doggy's ears. Breathe.
Demo.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I think both Demo's and the Observer's advice is quite good, or go for a walk in your favorite park, particularly if they have nice flower displays, our are in their final Summer glory right now and are really something. Breath in the scents of the park and let it relax you and refresh your soul.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Great suggestions.
Judge Roy Bean wrote:If you aren't already a pilot, take an introductory flying lesson.
On that one, I actually took a introductory flying lesson many years ago -- a surprise gift arranged by a girl friend.

And this suggestion is on target, too:
The Observer wrote:Connect with a life-long friend and spend the day with them. Nothing is better for the brain than reliving old memories and creating new ones.
My ostensible reason for scheduling Monday as a day off was, in fact, to meet an old friend for lunch, someone I've known for about forty years.

I just gotta decide what I'll do with the rest of the day.....

:)
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

ENJOY!!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Famspear wrote:Great suggestions.
Judge Roy Bean wrote:If you aren't already a pilot, take an introductory flying lesson.
On that one, I actually took a introductory flying lesson many years ago -- a surprise gift arranged by a girl friend.

I just gotta decide what I'll do with the rest of the day.....

Skydiving, dude!
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:I just gotta decide what I'll do with the rest of the day.....
Well, there is that big fat book of limericks you have always been aching to write...

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Famspear wrote:Monday, October 19 will be my first day off in about six years.

What I mean by that is: All my Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are spent with my wife, taking care of our child, who is disabled, which means that we live under high stress at all times we are not at our jobs. In the past six years, the only days that I have had to myself involved attending two family funerals and attending continuing education classes for attorney and CPA license requirements.

On Monday, from about 8:00 to 5:00, I will have free time.

How should I spend my day off? How would you spend your day off?

Hope it was a good day off, Was thinking, you could go visit your friend, steal his dad's rare low millage Ferrari, and go and pick up your Significant Other. They you could drive in to town, park it in a garage, where the parking attendant may take it for a spin, participate in a parade, watch a baseball game (Cubs are still in it :) ), go to dinner, return the Ferrari, try to roll the miles back, fail, trash the car, run home, all in time for your family return. Sounds like a perfect day off, We can call the adventure, Famspear's Day off!
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Well, I had a good, relaxing day for the most part..... Three different bookstores (didn't buy anything, though), cheesecake flavored frozen yogurt at a place near my home, lunch with a friend at Pappadeaux on Westheimer in Houston, briefly walked around the Galleria (and didn't buy anything there, either).

Not too much pre-planned "structure" on this day off -- and I like it like that.

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Well, I'm a bit late to this, as usual, but might I offer a suggestion for the next one. Seeing as you are a pilot, especially if its been a while, go rent an airplane and get a few hours in.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Gregg wrote:Well, I'm a bit late to this, as usual, but might I offer a suggestion for the next one. Seeing as you are a pilot, especially if its been a while, go rent an airplane and get a few hours in.
Well, since I have had only one flying lesson so far, I should get more than a few hours in!

Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Oh, I thought you had a Private Certificate....yeah, you'll need a few hours, or take another lesson!
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

In a sad and bizarre twist of fate, the friend with whom I had lunch back on October 19, 2015 (as noted earlier in this thread) was killed on Saturday, July 8, 2017 -- in none other than a skydiving accident near Houston.

Randy Schell was one of my oldest friends. We both came from the same city in south Louisiana. I knew his brother in college. His first wife and my first wife were also friends, and Randy and I were disc jockeys at the same radio station (although not at the same time). My first wife and I hung out with Randy and his first wife a lot in the early 1970s.

Randy was a television and radio announcer and electronics engineer, and had worked for years for the Cox Radio chain. He was the announcer for the TV series "Judge Alex" and was the voice on commercials for Coca-Cola, 20th Century Fox, Geico, McDonald's, Nike, and others. He was the voice in the promos for the AMC series "The Walking Dead."

He will be missed - and remembered.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Man, that sucks Fam :( sorry for your loss. I did read about the accident, what a crazy thing to happen.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

My condolences, it is hard to lose those people in your life with whom you have developed strong bonds. While we typically associate that kind of bonding with relatives, it is a unique and different thing with friends. On a positive note, the time you took to spend with him almost 2 years ago showed to him that his friendship was meaningful to you and that he did not leave this world without that being communicated to him.