Everyone tell us you're OK!

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Jeffrey
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Everyone tell us you're OK!

Post by Jeffrey »

Lost a family member to COVID during my break from posting on Quatloos. Hard to think about 3,000 Americans x however many family members they leave behind having to go through this daily. Despite keeping up with the news some things were still unexpected. I understand the health safety measures are fully necessary and justified but emotionally they hit you hard. You can’t even have a normal burial, a person you loved becomes a biohazard and has to be treated as such. Just an incredibly dehumanizing ordeal.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I had some symptoms,and was tested in the ER (well, actually, in a hallway in the ER) around 11pm PST on December 24. Fever has gone down, but I still have a persistent cough. I won't have the results until Monday or Tuesday, because of the holiday.

I've been assured that I probably don't have COVID because I can still smell our Glade trashbag liners. On the other hand, that might have so extreme an odor that it can be detected using other senses....
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I didn't want to start a new topic, so this seems to be as good as any.

If anyone has wondered about the lack of posts, this has mostly been down to not being able to read properly for the last 3 months. Apparently lenses inserted to cure cataracts fog over after some years, which I wasn't aware of, and the accumulated tissue needs to be blasted away periodically with a laser.

Had my left eye done yesterday and I can read again. :D

Right eye is scheduled for January, but one good eye is good enough to read and legally drive in the UK. 8)
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Posterior capsule opacification. Quite common following cataract surgery - happened to me a few years back. As you say, quickly and painlessly fixed with a YAG laser. Probably the weirdest sensation I've had since before I stopped trying to take Van Pelt seriously. When the laser fires, it feels as though someone is tapping on the inside of your skull.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Been there, done that, getting it done again in January. I agree, interesting sensation. Because of a previous life, for the past ten years or so, I've spent way too much time with doctors trying to prevent me from going blind.