Collection Question

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Collection Question

Post by JamesVincent »

I know we've talked about different collectibles on here before but don't remember who specialized in what. So I've got a question about multiple different items.

I was talking to my stepdad earlier and he has a bunch of items in storage from him, his mother and father in storage and he was debating about getting rid of them. They are all old, obvisiouly, but some would seem to be pretty rare also. I'll give you a rough idea.

From his father: a collection of WWII memorabilia from when his father served. He was a Major in the Rangers and served in Europe from D-Day until the Battle of the Bulge if memory serves. He has a collection of the money issued to troops overseas, has several other items such as period currency from the European countries he served in and some newspapers from Europe of the time.

His mother: an entire collection of Washington Posts from the time period of WWII on. He wasn't sure of the dates but he was certain it started from before D-Day and continued at least beyond V-E day.

From him: currency from the countries he served in during Vietnam, including Germany, France and Vietnam itself. Also a full set of WWII era Lionel trains, including functioning scenic buildings and cars.

I know some of the things he has but things like the currency are beyond my expertise. The antique furniture he has I already gave him a rough idea on. He said when he gets a chance (he's still recovering from surgery) he's gonna sit down and get a better idea of what all is there.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Collection Question

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Sullivan Museum at Norwich University, in Northfield, Vermont, would be happy to have much, if not all, of anything which you wish to donate. I have donated items there, myself.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
BoomerSooner17
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Collection Question

Post by BoomerSooner17 »

I hope I'm not too late in responding.

Regarding the WWII and Vietnam War memorabilia, I recommend you check out the U.S. Militaria Forum:

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/

I am a member there myself, but I'm merely a dabbler compared to the longstanding members. Many of them are collectors and are very passionate and knowledgeable about their fields of interest. They can give you great information about the items, including history, rarity, and how best to preserve them.

One thing that I've learned from browsing the USMF is that if one has a collection of items with provenance to a specific individual, one should try to keep everything together so that the items can tell a more complete story of the person's experiences. It sounds like your step-grandfather had quite an experience in World War II, and his story should be preserved.

Another thing I've learned is that documentation always helps, such as a statement from your step-father on where they come from (i.e., "These items were brought home from World War II by my father, Major So-and-so and remained in his possession until his passing.").
Pottapaug1938 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:13 am The Sullivan Museum at Norwich University, in Northfield, Vermont, would be happy to have much, if not all, of anything which you wish to donate. I have donated items there, myself.
I concur with Pottapaug that donating the items to a museum is a great suggestion.
"Never in the field of human conflict, was so much owed (but not paid), by so few, to so many." - Sir Winston Churchill