Travel Time Twenty Ten

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Travel Time Twenty Ten

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Outside of going to Scout camp in New Hampshire, college tuition requirements will keep me close to home this summer.

Cap'n -- shoot me a PM when you are getting closer to visiting the USS Salem. I'll show you the compartments where my Eagle Scouts have done their Eagle service projects, and where my daughter did her Girl Scout Silver Award project.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Between now and mid-September leisure travel:

8 days in Madrid in April.
7 days in NYC in July.
3 weeks in northern Europe (Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, and Belgium) in late summer.
Demo.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:Outside of going to Scout camp in New Hampshire, college tuition requirements will keep me close to home this summer.

Cap'n -- shoot me a PM when you are getting closer to visiting the USS Salem. I'll show you the compartments where my Eagle Scouts have done their Eagle service projects, and where my daughter did her Girl Scout Silver Award project.
And I might be able to show you where my dad bunked when he was a shipboard Marine circa 1954, which is why I am visiting the USS Salem.
I don't know how many relics of the Salem you have; but on eBay, I've found several postal cachets which were mailed aboard the Salem, and carry its postmark. I donated one to the salem, with a request that they display it in the ship's post office.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Since my daughter is a junior in high school, we will probably be visiting various college campuses. She should be able to get into almost any school she chooses since she is 2nd in her class of over 700 students with a 3.95 unweighted GPA. Yes, I am very proud of her.

Other than those short trips, we probably won't be going on any extended ones this year. My daughter wants to go to Japan and I am planning on making it a family trip when she graduates in 2011.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

The Operative wrote: she is 2nd in her class of over 700 students with a 3.95 unweighted GPA.
That's awesome!
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

I hope she's loading up on the AP classes and plans to take the tests.

Just as an example, one of my children entered his chosen university as a second semester sophomore based on the credits received for AP tests.

That was a savings well in excess of$25,000.
The Operative

Post by The Operative »

Demosthenes wrote:That's awesome!
Yeah, I think so too. :D
Nikki wrote:I hope she's loading up on the AP classes and plans to take the tests.

Just as an example, one of my children entered his chosen university as a second semester sophomore based on the credits received for AP tests.

Yes, she is taking AP classes and tests. As a sophomore, she took two AP classes and passed both tests, one with a '4' and the other with a '5'. This year, she is enrolled in four more AP classes and plans on taking the tests for those. Next year, I believe that she is taking another four AP classes. I am hoping to convince her to take a few CLEP tests and possibly some courses through independent study at LSU to rack up even more credits.

BTW, for those who have children approaching college age or have just entered college, there are some great deals at state community colleges for online classes. There are also good deals on online classes at state universities. It is a great way to complete the basic requirements of many 4-year degrees and can save a ton of money. For example, independent study courses at LSU are only $262 for a 3-credit course plus books. Another example, at Clovis Community College in New Mexico, a person could take 6 credit hours online for $225 plus books. Of course, you will have to check to see if the school will accept the credits in transfer or if they apply to the degree plan.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

"Daddy, because I worked so hard and studied and passed those AP tests and got advanced placement in college and saved you SO much tuition money, what kind of car are you going to buy me?"

I was lucky. I only had to spring for a sub-compact Honda -- which is now on its third child.
The Operative

Post by The Operative »

Nikki wrote:"Daddy, because I worked so hard and studied and passed those AP tests and got advanced placement in college and saved you SO much tuition money, what kind of car are you going to buy me?"

I was lucky. I only had to spring for a sub-compact Honda -- which is now on its third child.
Oh, she is spoiled. She got a car when she turned 16. I tease her that the money she is saving me is paying for the cabin cruiser. :twisted:
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

CaptainKickback wrote:...
This year I will be awash in Americana. ...
Then I figured what the heck, so in early October I will be in the Big Easy for a week. ...
Cap'n - if you're getting this far south about then, take the time to get to Midland, Texas.

http://www.airsho.org/

There isn't a more 'American' experience and God willing the only remaining B-29 will be flying again.

And if you want to be in the same room with some authentic combat aviation heroes, keep looking around the 'net in the coming months for the American Combat Aviation Hall of Fame (ACAHOF) inductees and their induction banquet that takes place during the Airsho week.

The really sad part is we're running out of live inductees.

Trust me, having dinner with a Medal of Honor winner is a great experience.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Yeah, well, I'm going to sunny exotic Afghanistan - put that in yer pipe and smoke it! :P
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Nikki wrote:I hope she's loading up on the AP classes and plans to take the tests.

That cuts both ways. I'd also completed more than a full year of college credit doing the AP thing and nighttime classes at a community college in high school and had to fight tooth and nail to drop those credits in my third year of college. Impacted schools such as Berkeley literally kick you out when you reach a maximum number of units, and I wouldn't have been able to squeeze in a minor in French lit if I'd had to keep the AP units on my record.
Demo.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

As part of the 'victory' parade following Gulf War 2, there was a fly-over by a representative of every aircraft which had participated.

It was the first public (non-combat) appearance of the stealth fighter.

The highlight -- well it became really obvious why it's called an aluminum overcast.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

I did that as well, (actually, I graduated 2 years early and worked and went to a community college for 2 years) though it still took 4 years to graduate as I went from a piano performance major to an accounting major. A year and half of music credits didn't really do anything for my accounting degree. Though, it was nice to feel like I could make such a shift and not excessively prolong by college stay.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Imalawman
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:

That cuts both ways. I'd also completed more than a full year of college credit doing the AP thing and nighttime classes at a community college in high school and had to fight tooth and nail to drop those credits in my third year of college. Impacted schools such as Berkeley literally kick you out when you reach a maximum number of units, and I wouldn't have been able to squeeze in a minor in French lit if I'd had to keep the AP units on my record.
The state sent me a bill for around $2,000 when I graduated saying that I had enough credit hours for 2 degrees, but have only earned one degree, so they were penalizing me for abusing in-state tuition rates. (yeah, I was PISSED)
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

We are in Charleston and the weather and gardens are beautiful!
"My Health is Better in November."
Randall
Warden of the Quatloosian Sane Asylum
Location: The Deep South, so deep I'm almost in Rhode Island.

Post by Randall »

Just returned from 2 weeks in sunny Brazil. Will spend a week in July (probably) somewhere between Myrtle Beach and Savannah, GA.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Prof wrote:We are in Charleston and the weather and gardens are beautiful!
I greatly miss Spring in South Carolina. Magnolias and Azaleas...
Imalawman

Post by Imalawman »

Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:

[sigh]remembering childhood in North Carolina and visiting Charleston.....[/sigh]
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Imalawman wrote:
Mr. Mephistopheles wrote:

[sigh]remembering childhood in North Carolina and visiting Charleston.....[/sigh]
I go for the BBQ.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros