Advice for DC traveler with a 3 year old

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Advice for DC traveler with a 3 year old

Post by Burzmali »

I've got one (or two) day(s) left in DC with my family and I am looking for some children friendly activities. We have been to the Natural History, American History, and Air and Space museums, the DAR museum (a bust) and most of the monuments on the mall. Any advice from this august body?
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Advice for DC traveler with a 3 year old

Post by wserra »

The International Spy Museum. It's a hoot.

The National Zoo is cool too. I prefer the Bronx Zoo, but then I'm a Bronx kid.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

A 3 year old? National Zoo!
Demo.
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

That's the plan for a possible Thursday in DC. The weather tomorrow isn't really zoo weather.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

National aquarium in DC

Newseum

Natural Science

Zoo

Zoo

Zoo
Thule
Tragedian of Sovereign Mythology

Post by Thule »

CaptainKickback wrote: If you have wheels, the National Aquarium in Baltimore, which is right next to the USS Constellation, sister ship to "Old Ironsides" the USS Constitution.
I guess you could call it "sister" ship, since materials from the frigate was used in construction of the sloop. But the 1854-Constellation is a different design and different ship from the 1797-Constellation.
Survivor of the Dark Agenda Whistleblower Award, August 2012.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Burzmali wrote:I've got one (or two) day(s) left in DC with my family and I am looking for some children friendly activities. We have been to the Natural History, American History, and Air and Space museums, the DAR museum (a bust) and most of the monuments on the mall. Any advice from this august body?
As a multi-grandfather with numerous experiences, I think a child of three is not going to remember much about Washington DC no matter where you take them.

At that age, it's what you spend time doing with them as opposed to where you do it. They can't associate time and place very well. They can remember very simple things, mostly visual experiences that are closely associated with the people around them; fishing, flying kites, riding horses (careful!) and the oldest of mine remembers his first time we went digging for crawfish because he got bit by one.

Until they're a bit older, my suggestion is they'll remember more about you reading to them than they will about some city they've been to.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

With my father and grandfather being D.C. natives, I went down to D.C. frequently in my youngest years; but until the trip I took when I was 9 1/2 (May 1962), I remember only my trip to the National Zoo (of the sightseeing that we did).
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

A 3 year-old? The Carosel!!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Burzmali wrote:I've got one (or two) day(s) left in DC with my family and I am looking for some children friendly activities. We have been to the Natural History, American History, and Air and Space museums, the DAR museum (a bust) and most of the monuments on the mall. Any advice from this august body?

Wait, three year old? Is this the same kid you posted on here as the "cutest little tax deduction" after being born? That's been three years? wow.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:As a multi-grandfather with numerous experiences, I think a child of three is not going to remember much about Washington DC no matter where you take them.

At that age, it's what you spend time doing with them as opposed to where you do it. They can't associate time and place very well. They can remember very simple things, mostly visual experiences that are closely associated with the people around them; fishing, flying kites, riding horses (careful!) and the oldest of mine remembers his first time we went digging for crawfish because he got bit by one.

Until they're a bit older, my suggestion is they'll remember more about you reading to them than they will about some city they've been to.
Trust me, my daughter would like nothing more than to run around the mall chasing a soccer ball, but the until today the weather hasn't been too good. She's a city girl though and has been to the Museum of Science and Children's Museum enough times to know (or at least assume) that a museum is a place with computers that mommy and daddy will let you "use", things that you will be allowed to climb on, things that will make a lot of noise when played with, and a table with water in it to play with. I think her biggest disappoint so far is that the local museums haven't been up to her standards.
Imalawman wrote: Wait, three year old? Is this the same kid you posted on here as the "cutest little tax deduction" after being born? That's been three years? wow.
Yeah, that's her. Growing like a weed. I'll post some pictures from the zoo.