Cheesecake recipe

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Cheesecake recipe

Post by Cathulhu »

I got lucky genetically; my mom didn't inherit the gene for type I diabetes, but this is a hit at the family reunions.

Basic cheesecake unit--fills small pan, double for ordinary size, triple for big cheesecake pan.

About the crust: I don't like the traditional fat-saturated (it holds the crumbs together) crust. What I do is buy those icky fat-free diabetic chocolate cookies, crush them in a plastic bag, and evenly spread them along the bottom of the pan. (Diabetic oreos are too high in fat, but the cookies without filling work better. They make a lousy cookie, but not so bad as a crust.) When I pour in the batter, it helps to put a small flat saucer in the bottom of the pan, pour on it to avoid moving the crumbs, then carefully fish out the saucer.

Start by unwrapping two 8 ounce packages of fat-free cream cheese. Then let it sit at least an hour to soften; this makes a huge difference texturally. After it gets soft, add 3/4 cup Splenda (yeah, I use sugar when I make it for myself), 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and cream together. Then beat in two eggs thoroughly, and add 4 to 6 (depends on my mood) ounces of melted dark chocolate. After batter is beaten nice and smooth, pour carefully onto crust (the moisture from the batter will meld the crumbs together a bit) and bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Center should look almost set (overbaking is a no-no); chill at least three hours before serving.

The next experiment in the Great White Kitchen (fits like a glove!) will involve eggbeaters instead of eggs. Three hundred quatloos to whoever can place the quote.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Re: Cheesecake recipe

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Damn you, Cathulhu...now I have a jones for some cheesecake!

The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

I like to garnish the chocolate cheesecake with whipped cream and fresh raspberries, maybe a peppermint leaf for color...

I am flattered to be damned by you, doktor. But surprised no one claimed the three hundred quatloos for the Congress of Wonder quote contained therein.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and most of all, don't tell your cardiologist; go directly to the nearest Cheesecake Factory and indulge in Stephanie's Red Velvet Cheesecake:

25¢ from the sale of each slice is donated to Feeding America if that makes you feel better about the second one. :twisted:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Ooooh. That's pretty.
Demo.
Parvati
Demigoddess of Volatile Benevolence

Post by Parvati »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and most of all, don't tell your cardiologist; go directly to the nearest Cheesecake Factory and indulge in Stephanie's Red Velvet Cheesecake: (----image snip!----) 25¢ from the sale of each slice is donated to Feeding America if that makes you feel better about the second one. :twisted:
While the Red Velvet is nice, the Key Lime will probably remain my eternal favorite.
"The risk in becoming very intimate with a moldie Parvati is that she may unexpectedly become a Kali and take your head."--Rudy Rucker, Freeware
“Most men would kill the truth if truth would kill their religion.”--Lemuel K. Washburn.
Cathulhu

Post by Cathulhu »

I'm sorry, but nothing beats chocolate.
littleroundman

Post by littleroundman »

Cathulhu wrote:I'm sorry, but nothing beats chocolate.
I made this for the first time last week, and I'd have to honestly say it is THE best cheesecake I've ever consumed:

Mascarpone Cheesecake with Almond Crust

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giad ... index.html