Hello...Hello Again?

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Tax Man

Hello...Hello Again?

Post by Tax Man »

Visit the SIT80s fan page - Steve Spears

Is this photo of the surviving members of The Cars proof positive that the band has intentions to reunite? That's the buzz on the web over the last 24 hours. The photo was posted on The Cars' official Facebook page and seems to show the band's lineup -- singer Ric Ocasek, keyboardist Greg Hawkes, drummer David Robinson and guitarist Elliot Easton -- practicing in a home studio.

The Cars -- the masterminds behind such pop goodness as My Best Friend's Girl, Just What I Needed and Magic -- haven't recorded together since 1987. Previous hopes for reunion were scrapped when bassist-singer Benjamin Orr died of pancreatic cancer in 2000.

But Ocasek left the door open during a talk with Rolling Stone magazine in February.
By Daniel Kreps
Jul 27, 2010 11:49 AM EDT

It's been 23 years since the Cars split, but the band is finally hinting at a reunion. On their official Facebook page, the band posted a photograph of the surviving members — singer Ric Ocasek, keyboardist Greg Hawkes, drummer David Robinson and guitarist Elliot Easton — gathered together in a Boston studio surrounded by their instruments. "I hate to be vague, but I really can't say," keyboardist Hawkes told the Boston Globe when asked whether the band was reuniting. "It's a crazy world." A rep for Ocasek did not immediately return Rolling Stone's request for comment, but a link on the band's Facebook to a story about the reunion rumors is accompanied with the following note: "Anyone in the mood for a reunion by the Cars?"

When RS caught up with Ocasek in Feburary, he said he was working on new material that was "a surprise." He added that the new songs are "more mature, because I'm older now." "It's hard to write songs these days, it's hard to have hope," he said.

Keep up with rock's latest news in Random Notes.

The Cars, one of the most popular New Wave bands thanks to a string of hits that included "My Best Friend's Girl," "Just What I Needed" and "Let's Go," last recorded together for 1987's Door to Door. While reunion rumors have popped up in the years that followed, any hope of a full-on Cars reunion was dashed when bassist-singer Benjamin Orr died of pancreatic cancer in 2000.

Since the band's breakup, Ocasek has carved out a notable career as a producer, recording with everyone from Weezer to No Doubt to Guided by Voices. In 2005, Hawkes and Easton recruited Todd Rundgren to form the critically maligned New Cars, but that project hit the brakes in 2007.

Reporting by Jennifer Vineyard
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Re: Hello...Hello Again?

Post by texino »

The Boston Globe site had the results of an interesting reader pole naming the top 25 Boston based groups and players. The Cars are included as is Joan Baez.
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
Tax Man

Post by Tax Man »

Ben grew up in Cleveland and met Ric Ocasek at a party in Columbus before leaving for Boston.

Ocasek's son, Adam Otcasek, is 38. http://www.killough-otcasek.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the-artful ... 021389761/

Ben has a son, Ben Orr Jr., who apparently looks a lot like his dad. Maybe he can fill in for him? I'm not sure how old he is.
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by Unidyne »

CaptainKickback wrote:Either that or they just like to get together once in a while just to jam together.
Or maybe they're looking for some quick cash on the nostalgia circuit.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
absdes96
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by absdes96 »

This converse high top shoe-wearing, cherry coke-drinking, Big League gum chewing, Pac-Man and Asteriods (Atari) playing, MTV watching, adolescent from the mid- 1980's remembers this band well. The Cars was one of my first music cassette tapes for my boom box.

The "You Might Think" video that aired constantly on MTV comes to mind. Though I will bet that video was/is not funny to victims of stalking.
The mongoose of a disciplined mind and will is more than a match for the cobra of desire and emotion. - Professor Dallas Willard, USC
Tax Man

Post by Tax Man »

absdes96 wrote:This converse high top shoe-wearing, cherry coke-drinking, Big League gum chewing, Pac-Man and Asteriods (Atari) playing, MTV watching, adolescent from the mid- 1980's remembers this band well. The Cars was one of my first music cassette tapes for my boom box.

The "You Might Think" video that aired constantly on MTV comes to mind. Though I will bet that video was/is not funny to victims of stalking.
Here's the "You Might Think" video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yf2WP6K1gQ

And in concert (Houston, 1984):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBTFwGfZ ... re=related
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

And if your curious, the woman in the video as she is now. http://www.susangallagher.com/index.html
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"