Nouvelle Orleans, Louisiana 2010

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Re: Nouvelle Orleans, Louisiana 2010

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Give us the straight scoop on gulf oysters!
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Judge Roy Bean wrote:Give us the straight scoop on gulf oysters!
Gulf Oyster, BP Oysters, Phillips-Conoco Oysters, Exxon Oysters and all other types in between.

Plus crayfish, gator, shrimp, fish - it is all on the menu.
That's "CRAWFISH" 'round here and contrary to popular misconception, they're freshwater critters.

But barring a quick trip there just to find out first hand what the purveyors are telling the restaurants it would be interesting to find out if gulf oysters are available and at what price.
The Devil Makes Three
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

I get there on Wed. the 13th for at least a couple of nights (NCBJ).
"My Health is Better in November."
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

I'm envious. I had planned to travel, and the Jon Stewart march on Oct. 30 sounded very appealing, but I fell down the stairs (I have balance problems, that's why I had to get my head MRI'ed) and broke my left foot and right wrist. Typing with left hand sucks.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Prof

Post by Prof »

Cathulhu wrote:I'm envious. I had planned to travel, and the Jon Stewart march on Oct. 30 sounded very appealing, but I fell down the stairs (I have balance problems, that's why I had to get my head MRI'ed) and broke my left foot and right wrist. Typing with left hand sucks.
My sympathies. Mrs. Prof fainted for an as yet unexplained reason last Monday and managed to fall in such a way (in our kitchen) as to develop a compression fracture or two of the lumbar vertebrae. Great pain, still doped up, etc., and she may not get to go to New Orleans with me next week. She also can't play with her new toy, since she cannot get in and out!

see http://media.photobucket.com/image/yell ... owVert.jpg (except her's has a Magna Flo exhaust and sounds like a Harley on steriods!)

We traded a POS Mini: '05 yellow -- even with the extended warranty, I spent $2500 on thething in 4 weeks: http://cars.chapmanchoice.com/stock/cct/47562.jpg
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Cathulhu wrote:I'm envious. I had planned to travel, and the Jon Stewart march on Oct. 30 sounded very appealing, but I fell down the stairs (I have balance problems, that's why I had to get my head MRI'ed) and broke my left foot and right wrist. Typing with left hand sucks.
At least your faculties are intact! There are posters here (of recent note) who make far less sense with both hands. :brickwall:
The Devil Makes Three
FLMountainMan

Post by FLMountainMan »

Gulf oysters are still great to eat. Most restaurants have gone up a dollar a dozen on them (at least around here in the Florida pandhandle), but the spill never reached the prime oyster beds in Apalachicola. I've easily been able to keep up my two dozen per week habit all through the spill.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

CaptainKickback wrote:Body sore, no cash in wallet, can't remember everything I did, drank my lunch on more than one occasion - DAMN I had fun in New Orleans.

Rode all three street car lines from one end to the other, saw lots of cool stuff, got part of my X-mas shopping done, and even saw a Saints game.

Had oysters, shrimp, crawfish, gator, fried chicken, beignets, butter beans, red beans and rice, gumbo, jambalaya, learned to make creole shrimp, pralines and cream soups.

Definitely a good time.
Sounds awesome! The craziest night I ever had was on Bourbon St. - good times.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Prof

Post by Prof »

N O tomorrow night w/Ms. Prof; dinner Thurs. night at Commander's. Life is good and her back injury is much better!
Prof

Post by Prof »

Thurs.: Lunch at the Acme with charbroiled oysters. Dinner at Commander's with the bread pudding suffle for desert.

Back in SA at work today.
texino
Grand Debunker of Medical Quackery

Post by texino »

Dinner at Commander's with the bread pudding suffle for desert.
You folks know where they hide the good stuff...)
Viva Mrs. Prof. for making the trip. I hope the compression Fx resolve and do not devil the good woman.

Best Wishes, T.
ҨTexino₪
Siga el dinero
El camino continúa por siempre, pero el partido nunca termina
texino@gmail.com
Brandybuck

Post by Brandybuck »

CaptainKickback wrote:...learned to make creole shrimp, pralines and cream soups.
Wait, they put pralines in cream of creole shrimp soup? My palate is fearful yet intrigued.
Prof

Post by Prof »

For those of you who have never been to New Orleans, please go. The city needs visitors, or course, but the retaurants and Quarter are back. Jazz Fest, in April, is wonderful. The people are as nice as ever.

There is no finer food in the US, of course (and for you from New York, the prices will be very reasonable, even if food in New York or San Francisco is equally wonderful). The beauty of the River, the wonderful homes off of St Charles in the Garden District, the shops in the Quarter, all make for a wonderful stay.