The Joy of Electronics.

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Re: The Joy of Electronics.

Post by Cathulhu »

Electronics tend to fry around me (that's why I'm not a roadie anymore) and my own theory is that there are persons and possibly animals that naturally emit low-level EMP sometimes, and I think I'm one.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

CaptainKickback wrote:A number of years ago I owned a Mitsubishi Mirage LS - nice little car. I had to get rid of it at around 120,000 miles because of a weird electronics issue.

I would be driving along and suddenly everything would shut down. No power, nothing. Just dead. But, if you waited 15 to 20 minutes the power would "magically" return. The repair shop did not believe me when I told them what it was doing. Until they were taking it for a test drive and it did it.

They never could figure it out. So, one day when it was running great, I took it into a dealership and got another car. It was being taken away by a dismantler as I drove my "new" wheels off the lot.

I really can't complain though, I have never, ever paid over $7,500 for a car.
Oddly enough, we still own a '87 Chrysler Conquest Tsi that did the same thing the first year we owned it. It drove the dealership mechanics crazy and they finally determined all four alternators they put in it had faulty voltage regulators. Somehow, almost all the regulators from one supplier were flaky and you had a 100% chance of having the problem again. The Mitsubishi factory unit they put in the last time has worked for over 20 years. (The only problem with the car now is the premium gas :twisted: )
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

and the entire world looking at every bit and byte you cast forth into the Internet.
nmason

Post by nmason »

The joy of advance technology. I remember those days when you have to go to the real library to search for a topic for your paper. And you have to go through trouble in searching the book, sometimes misplaced even. But now, you have everything at your fingertips. They are literally clicks away. You could talk about tv and cars but that is how I could really value electronics and technology.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

nmason wrote:The joy of advance technology. I remember those days when you have to go to the real library to search for a topic for your paper. And you have to go through trouble in searching the book, sometimes misplaced even. But now, you have everything at your fingertips. They are literally clicks away. You could talk about tv and cars but that is how I could really value electronics and technology.
I remember searching for volumes in the university library while doing graduate research, only to be told it's probably in one of the piles on Stack Level X. Sometimes the piles would be three feet deep and six in circumference. I love the internet. It literally places the largest library on the planet at one's fingertips.
Nikki

Post by Nikki »

Not only is EVERYTHING on the Internet guaranteed to be the truth, but cut-and-paste is your friend.