Guilty pleasures

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Guilty pleasures

Post by Unidyne »

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a card-carrying member of MENSA and I like to watch those dashboard camera shows of bad drivers, and I'm also a huge Mojo Nixon fan.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

As someone I worked for some decades ago said, "We have no shortage of stupid."

Ain't it grand that someone can make a profit off showing audiences just how stupid some people really are?

Now if we could only get people to see how stupid their elected representatives are. :brickwall:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

It's still pretty weird to watch the dumbest drivers show. For no apparent reason, they have Z list "celebrities" commenting on the show, and it still creeps me out that Tonya Harding is a dead ringer for my little sister. Particularly since my sister has a few years on Tonya, who is evidently living pretty hard. But the resemblance is astonishing.

This is the same sister that writes Vogon poetry, boys. Be afraid.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Guilty pleasure...

Ok, here goes. I watch almost no tv, but have set my DVR for four shows, two of which have short seasons, so I average about two hours of tv per week.

My favorite shows, in order:

1) Madmen
2) Dexter
3) House
4) Wipeout

Why Wipeout? There's something about watching consenting adults, presumably competent, agreeing to become human squeakie toys on national tv that absolutely delights me.
Demo.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Demosthenes wrote:Guilty pleasure...

Ok, here goes. I watch almost no tv, but have set my DVR for four shows, two of which have short seasons, so I average about two hours of tv per week.

My favorite shows, in order:

1) Madmen
2) Dexter
3) House
4) Wipeout

Why Wipeout? There's something about watching consenting adults, presumably competent, agreeing to become human squeakie toys on national tv that absolutely delights me.
Hmmm ... I think now we know why the alleged book hasn't appeared - the cat cannot resist watching squeaky toys. :thinking:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

There's always spending far too much time on Q . . .
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Toddlers & Tiaras, because I just can't stop watching those little pint-size trailer park trainwrecks and the parents who reared those monsters. Also, TMZ. Although not too much lately since they moved it to 7 in my area which puts the last half of it in my post-dinner loss of consciousness and I can't be bothered to tape it for when I come to an hour later.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Ghost Hunters. I have no idea why. I just like it.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

When I'm not parked behind a chess board....I like Fringe, Storage Wars and so far I'm digging The Universe series on the History Channel.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Post by Mr. Mephistopheles »

Doktor Avalanche wrote:When I'm not parked behind a chess board....I like Fringe, Storage Wars and so far I'm digging The Universe series on the History Channel.
I find that Storage Wars is a rather addictive show. It's a sort of munchausen's by proxy ala rummage sales.
nmason

Post by nmason »

I am diabetic and was advised by the doctor to stay away from food high in sugar but I still gotta have that chocolate ice cream once a week. And I swear if they force me to break the habit, I am going to break their neck. Though, I really cannot do that physically. With a chainsaw perhaps, but that would tire me. So let's just stay with me eating the ice cream.
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

nmason wrote:I am diabetic and was advised by the doctor to stay away from food high in sugar but I still gotta have that chocolate ice cream once a week. And I swear if they force me to break the habit, I am going to break their neck. Though, I really cannot do that physically. With a chainsaw perhaps, but that would tire me. So let's just stay with me eating the ice cream.
Eat the ice cream, and then do some brisk exercise to use up the sugars.

BTW, welcome to Quatloos!
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

CaptainKickback wrote:...

Hey, any day you can find secret, hidden, beer is a good day - and I bet even Duff Man would approve.
Hear! Hear! It's on par with finding $10 in the pocket of a jacket that isn't worn regularly.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Finding a coin, in a coin dealer's "junk box", that is worth much more than the asking price (this almost always involves foreign coins, and a dealer who desn't sell very many of them in his/her main display cases)....

Sitting down with some good craft beer -- a nice selection of IPAs, preferably West Coast style, and a nice selection of Porters....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Mr. Mephistopheles
Faustus Quatlus

Pottapaug1938 wrote:Finding a coin, in a coin dealer's "junk box", that is worth much more than the asking price (this almost always involves foreign coins, and a dealer who desn't sell very many of them in his/her main display cases)....

Sitting down with some good craft beer -- a nice selection of IPAs, preferably West Coast style, and a nice selection of Porters....
I don't know much about coins, but I like to hit the occasion estate auction or farm auction (I live way the hell out in flyover country), and on many occasions I've bought stuff for pennies on the dollar. A few years ago I paid $75 for an entire pallet load of items at an industrial liquidation auction. Once I got it home and started going through everything I figured I had close to $1000 in merchandise. They were pretty mundane items, garden hoses, extension cords, etc. but it was all stuff I needed and would have soon purchased retail. I'm such a tightwad that I'm still happy about it 4 years later.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Jeff Koons' Balloon Dog. Classic!

Bet you don't have my favoite Tar Pits T-Shirt.

Demo.