Monterrey, CA

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Monterrey, CA

Post by Imalawman »

I'll be in Monterrey, CA for seven days in early August. Mostly work, but I expect there will be some down time. I'm going kayaking one afternoon, but have not planned anything. Dinners are planned by hosts, so dining is not a real emphasis. Any good things to see, places to go? Thanks!
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Brandybuck

Re: Monterrey, CA

Post by Brandybuck »

The aquarium is superb, if you're into that kind of thing. If you like shopping Cannery Row is great, or head over to Carmel.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

The aquarium, of course.

And take a camera and do the "17 mile drive."

Check out the dates for the Steinbeck Festival in Salinas.

Also, Santa Cruz is an 45-minute drive up the coast and is worth a day trip.
Demo.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

Pity you aren't there in mid August for the Concours D'Elegance in Pebble Beach and the Historic Car Races at Laguna Seca.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/

The historic races are absolutely wild. Only race cars that were winners in their prime are allowed to compete each other. So, for example, you might see a line up of 1920s racecars coming around a hilly hairpin turn on two wheels, desperately trying not to the crash into each other or damage their million dollars autos. The historic Jaguar race this year boasts a lineup that is worth more than $100 million. It's all in good fun, and the car owners are competing for their favorite charities.
Demo.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Demosthenes wrote:Pity you aren't there in mid August for the Concours D'Elegance in Pebble Beach and the Historic Car Races at Laguna Seca.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/

The historic races are absolutely wild. Only race cars that were winners in their prime are allowed to compete each other. So, for example, you might see a line up of 1920s racecars coming around a hilly hairpin turn on two wheels, desperately trying not to the crash into each other or damage their million dollars autos. The historic Jaguar race this year boasts a lineup that is worth more than $100 million. It's all in good fun, and the car owners are competing for their favorite charities.
Blast! That begins right after I leave!

And yes, I know, I added an "r" to Monterey. Damn spell check told me I'd spelled it incorrectly. Shouldn't have trusted it.

Thanks for suggestions, I'm looking forward to some nice weather.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

Bring your golf clubs!

This is Del Monte. As public courses go, this one's not too shabby. And there's my favorite public course:

This is Quail Lodge which also has a resort. And it's public.

I would recommend Pebble Beach but that's gonna run you about $1000 - serious drain on your wallet.

Plus it doesn't really live up to the hype.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros