Non-solar flying cars this time

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Burzmali
Exalted Guardian of the Gilded Quatloos

Re: Non-solar flying cars this time

Post by Burzmali »

wserra wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:Where are the control surfaces?
Where's the lift come from? God knows I'm no engineer, but I don't see how that thing can fly.
Could be directed thrust via what I am guessing is supposed to be some kind of directed airflow (via the nozzle on the vehicle's nose) high-speed ducted fan propulsion system. Though, it could be the imaginarium that they've got mounted on those nacelles. Either or, really.

Edit:
Here's a wsj blog entry that talks a bit more about the design. Those nacelles are supposed to be stowed props used for take off. Makes me wonder where they are keep the engines needed to do much of anything with those.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2013/ ... slideshow/
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

wserra wrote:
JamesVincent wrote:Where are the control surfaces?
Where's the lift come from? God knows I'm no engineer, but I don't see how that thing can fly.
You can't see the props in the rendering. Lift is provided by the external pods that can rotate from vertical for takeoff to more acute forward angles for higher-speed flight. From what I gather, forward thrust is enhanced by the pusher prop configuration.

I cannot fathom that they could use a turbine small enough to fit in the pods as depicted. Obviously, reality will creep in on later versions. :wink:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Ah. Like a Harrier (for a jet) or an Osprey (for a prop). But, as you both say, there's no way that drawing allows for the size engines required for VTOL. And they have wings.

So I still don't see how that thing (as drawn) can fly.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

This one seemed to do okay in atmosphere - even without the fancy wings.

When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Here is the newspaper link for the car.

newspaper article
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

What the promoters of these vehicles have to eventually come to grips with is a target market of diminishing size and airspace of diminishing space.

They will never be anything but a novelty.

To get one of these types off the ground requires licensing of the pilot AND a physical location that the FAA is amenable to, not to mention an insurance policy that would probably cost as much as an average house payment. :roll:
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
notorial dissent

I have to admit that I find this quite fascinating if simply because I was of the generation that they promised this sort of thing to.

Once I get past the cool neat aspect and reality takes over, I have to agree that the practicality and affordability issues pop to mind real hard and fast. My understanding is that you would have to have a full pilot's license to operate one, adn the FAA restrictions would be crippling I would expect as they would be serious air hazard I would think, and I can't help but think the insurance, always assuming you could get it, would be staggeringly expensive. I think novelty is the kindest thing that can be said about it.

The one positive thing about it, they are so prohibitively expensive that the really dangerous loons won't be able to afford them, thus limiting their destructive efforts to the streets and highways, which is more than bad enough to my mind.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Heck with flying cars--I want a jet pack!
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

wserra wrote:Ah. Like a Harrier (for a jet) or an Osprey (for a prop). But, as you both say, there's no way that drawing allows for the size engines required for VTOL. And they have wings.

So I still don't see how that thing (as drawn) can fly.
There are alternate renderings of the vehicle that show that the nose cone is much larger than the initial picture would suggest. It still looks a bit small to power three props while holding enough fuel to travel more than a mile.

The lift can be provided by angling the props. The Osprey does that as the wings can't provide enough lift by themselves. It'll increase drag and slow the vehicle down a bunch, but given that commuters are supposed to be flying this beast, that probably is by design.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

And this model crashed today in Canada.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra

Post by wserra »

And that model requires a parasail to provide the lift. See the videos here. I still don't see how a VTOL model can fly without much larger engines than the drawings reflect.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

Maybe you have to wish really really hard. I find the whole concept bemusing, and I can rate the possibility of getting me in to one about minus 200%.
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

The WSJ blog has a rendering showing a much larger nose cone. Big enough to house an engine the size of a helicopter's. I'm still not sold on the pivoting props, the ducted fan should be providing thrust and the vertical blades the lift, no need to pivot the props, if speed is a problem, make the rear fan more powerful.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

BRATISLAVA, Slovakia - A prototype flying car completed a 35-minute flight this week between international airports in Slovakia, fulfilling what developers called "a key milestone" in moving toward production.

The dual-mode car-aircraft, called AirCar, flew on Monday between international airports in Nitra and Bratislava. It was AirCar’s first inter-city flight and 142nd successful landing, according to Klein Vision, the company behind its development.
https://www.fox6now.com/news/flying-car ... ji1OL55EpQ

I don't know why there was so much emphasis on it having a Bimmer engine but apparently it does.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
notorial dissent

Wow!!! Unless that was all CG and fantasy that was gorgeous. I had to hunt to find the video of it flying, and it is pretty. I would presume it is a rear engine twin split tail, and I would assume a pretty good engine if it is a BMW. The structural design is really interesting and I would say reasonable. The only issue I can see is the rotor being a wind drag. Just lovely. It will be interesting to see what the cost and economics turn out to be.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Yes, I really want one, I'm thinking of cashing out an IRA for this!

https://www.jetsonaero.com/
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Sounded neat till I saw this:
The Jetson ONE is delivered to you in a partially assembled state, where you complete the build.
Given my ability with complicated machinery, I could see my demise due to parts coming off the vehicle.

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Oh, and given a top speed of 63 mph and a range of 20 minutes, this is suddenly nothing more than a really, really expensive drone.

Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Wonderful! Soon, we'll have arrests and prosecutions for flying under the influence/flying while intoxicated, not to mention having to deal with the deaths resulting from the crashes.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools