Keith Richards and Abe Lincoln...

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Deep Knight

Re: The Real Inaguration

Post by Deep Knight »

Those Brits and their funny food names. How would you like a dinner hoastess to ask you, "Would you like a little spotted dick?"

Strangely enough, one of the best meals I ever had was at a hotel on Piccadilly in Mayfair, across from Hyde Park and just down from Buckingham Palace. Go figure. I also like London more than any other European city outside of Paris (I'm French, so I don't have a choice on #1).
"Follow the Money"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I went to graduate school in London, and the most important thing I learned there was that aside from Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash and American fast food, there is not a person on the entire island who can cook an edible meal.

I stayed at The Mount Royal by Speakers Corner, a very good hotel. The breakfast chef, knowing I was from Kentucky was very proud to tell me he had some country ham coming in. For days I waited in anticipation of finally having a decent breakfast. When the day finally arrived, the poor sod boiled it.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
searcher

Re: Keith Richards and Abe Lincoln...

Post by searcher »

"Would you like a little spotted dick?"

"Knock me up at 6am." :lol:
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

Burnaby49 wrote:
Thule wrote:
searcher wrote: Yeah, > they < (The Bloody British) ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles
(etc etc)
I have no idea where you are getting with this, why you seem to think I am British, or the relevance of my nationality.
Most of his posts seem to be gibberish unrelated to any topic of substance. It's almost like they are generated by a computer algorithm. I suspect a sovereign having a little fun without wanting to show his true hand. Well, at least Gregg has acquired a new brother.
Don't forget famspear who has become or acquired a dear heart
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Gregg wrote:I went to graduate school in London, and the most important thing I learned there was that aside from Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash and American fast food, there is not a person on the entire island who can cook an edible meal.

I stayed at The Mount Royal by Speakers Corner, a very good hotel. The breakfast chef, knowing I was from Kentucky was very proud to tell me he had some country ham coming in. For days I waited in anticipation of finally having a decent breakfast. When the day finally arrived, the poor sod boiled it.
Entirely unfair! We have imported a large number of Italians for precisely that purpose (including my grandfather!) :D

It has to be admitted that my wife and I tend to put off going to restaurants until we go abroad (although in general I would avoid Finnish food - We did have one excellent meal, reindeer, in a restaurant in the middle of Helsinki harbour, happily at somebody else's expense).

Being married to one from the South of England, I keep being told that pie & mash and jellied eels are food, but remain to be convinced. By the same token, the idea that somebody from Kentucky of all places should extol the virtues of American fast food is very strange. For the best fish & chips, head north and preferably east to Yorkshire or Nothumberland.

PS For a good satire of Britain, try Asterix chez les Bretons (preferably in the original French).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_in_Britain
You will learn that is often foggy, the locals go around saying "Je dis" and upon learning that he is going to Britain, Obelix immediately asks if they will be taking rations with them.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

My mother's family has its roots in Lancashire. They all knew how to cook pretty well.... As for Yorkshire, I still remember the delicious meals my bride and I had in York, on our honeymoon, back in August of 1977.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

Pottapaug1938 wrote:My mother's family has its roots in Lancashire. They all knew how to cook pretty well.... As for Yorkshire, I still remember the delicious meals my bride and I had in York, on our honeymoon, back in August of 1977.
I must confess to a fondness for black pudding.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

On a recent trip, we found the food to be excellent-- we stayed at B & B's and the breakfasts were all one could hope for. In Conwy in Wales, we found two only moderately expensive bistros with EXCELLENT food. One even offered a very good value early bird evening meal with one or two courses. In London, we ate a a good, although moderately expensive, Italian restaurant near Victoria Station.

Also, in Kesick and several other towns, we ran into local markets with very good cheeses, breads, sausages (dried, ready to eat) and pastries. Every tea room we ate at for lunch had a great soup, great bread, and, of course, cakes of wonderful quality.

Admittedly, we were only in London for two nights, where the food is allegedly very expensive or not very good, but, as mentioned above, we had an excellent Italian meal.

One note. Lunch at the British Museum is OK; but it does not compare to lunch at the Louvre!
"My Health is Better in November."
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Dog wrote:
Pottapaug1938 wrote:My mother's family has its roots in Lancashire. They all knew how to cook pretty well.... As for Yorkshire, I still remember the delicious meals my bride and I had in York, on our honeymoon, back in August of 1977.
I must confess to a fondness for black pudding.
My mother was born and raised in Hull on the Yorkshire coast and I spent much of my youth in the village of Barrowford in Lancashire so I have a 50+ year time-line of northern English cooking. My conclusion? Generally rubbish with some competence in baked goods and deserts when I was a child but greatly improved since. A lot is still crap but the same can be said anywhere. And their cheeses and higher quality sausages are excellent.

Speaking of sausages, I hate black pudding. A musty stale flavour.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
searcher

Post by searcher »

Re: Your Post > The Dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm
Your post tells me more about Keith & Abe than anything I have read yet.
The Dog
First Mate
First Mate

Post by The Dog »

searcher wrote:Re: Your Post > The Dog » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:57 pm
Your post tells me more about Keith & Abe than anything I have read yet.
Sorry, I do get off topic.

Anyway, the following link is to a page with a picture of Keith Richards in a fish & chip shop.
http://dbboots.com/index.php

Obtaining a photograph of Abraham Lincoln in a fish & chip shop is left as an exercise for the reader.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

I don't know how much it had to do with English cuisine, Keef or Searcher, but on Saturday I had a heart attack. I'm home now, and okay.
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Gregg wrote:I don't know how much it had to do with English cuisine, Keef or Searcher, but on Saturday I had a heart attack. I'm home now, and okay.
Hoo boy! Sorry to hear that, and glad you're not undergoing emergency surgery.

Please take care. I really enjoy reading what you post.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

This is why I'm a solid believer in knowing CPR. Hope your recovery is smooth.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Shit. Take it easy, 'mano. Finding life's balances is not easy. One of our main mantras encapsulates why I like my partners so much: "No one ever went to his grave wishing he spent more time at the office."
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Gregg wrote:I don't know how much it had to do with English cuisine, Keef or Searcher, but on Saturday I had a heart attack. I'm home now, and okay.
Sorry to hear that Gregg. Stay home a rest up. Your health is the most important thing.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Thank you everyone who posted here, in PMs and even on my facebook page....

It was a little 'Dick Cheney' model heart attack, I was at work where we have a hospital on site and I got into treatment early so I'm good. The sticky wicket to it all was I was still A-fibbing and had to be medicated for a few days to try to get my pulse down, on Monday they put in a stint and then shocked my heart to reset the EKG thingy... (I was out for this part, I'm told you do a pretty impressive jump when they do it)

The big thing is I know now I have to end my 38 year relationship with Phillip Morris, and that's gonna be a challenge....

Again, thanks everyone, I should be back to the snarky SOB you all know in a week or so.
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

If you seriously try to stop smoking you'll be an even snarkier SOB than the one we already know.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Gregg wrote:Thank you everyone who posted here, in PMs and even on my facebook page....

It was a little 'Dick Cheney' model heart attack, I was at work where we have a hospital on site and I got into treatment early so I'm good. The sticky wicket to it all was I was still A-fibbing and had to be medicated for a few days to try to get my pulse down, on Monday they put in a stint and then shocked my heart to reset the EKG thingy... (I was out for this part, I'm told you do a pretty impressive jump when they do it)
I have heard about this, but I'm concerned that cardiac surgery skills are now reduced to "just reboot it".
Gregg wrote:The big thing is I know now I have to end my 38 year relationship with Phillip Morris, and that's gonna be a challenge....

Again, thanks everyone, I should be back to the snarky SOB you all know in a week or so.
Swapping it for a black pudding habit won't help. (I'm trying to keep out of the British cuisine discussion.)
Stay well/get better; we need you here.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Gregg wrote:Thank you everyone who posted here, in PMs and even on my facebook page....

The big thing is I know now I have to end my 38 year relationship with Phillip Morris, and that's gonna be a challenge....

Well, that will give you even more money to spend on the hordes of attractive young staffers at the well-armed bunker complex.... Be well, my friend.

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools