Virginia - bill re: generating its own currency

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Virginia - bill re: generating its own currency

Post by ashlynne39 »

I read an article earlier today on Fox about a bill in Virginia about having its own currency and the article cites several other states considering the same. I'm not sure which forum this belongs in but I think we may have had another thread about this being considered in maybe Montana or Colorado. Just thought I would pass this article along for comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02 ... latestnews
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Re: Virginia - bill re: generating its own currency

Post by wserra »

ashlynne39 wrote:I read an article earlier today on Fox about a bill in Virginia about having its own currency and the article cites several other states considering the same.
Thanks to Art.I sec.10, it wouldn't be much more than Monopoly money: "No State shall ... coin Money; ... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts". Kinda devalues a currency if nobody has to take it.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

The Virginia "currency" would amount to state-issued scrip; and its value would fluctuate against the US dollar, most likely involving a discount to the former. It would circulate just like Disney Dollars do at Disney World, at best; and many would refuse them (as I would have done last November, when I was in Richmond, to save the hassle of having to exchange them for regular money before I left Virginia).
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Here is an interesting story about what happens when a country relies too much on gold as a store of wealth. Note particularly the part about how the lack of liquidity as a result of the hoarding of gold:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/business/ ... =obnetwork
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

India's experience with gold helps explain that "HJR 192" that the sovruns are all foaming about.

Prior to 1933, gold coins were in circulation although the coins themselves were not terribly numerous; most daily transactions used paper money such as gold certificates (which promised to be exchanged for gold coin at federal banks), silver certificates, United States Notes (a fiat currency authorized during the Civil War and issued in a very limited amount), and FRNs, as well as non-gold coins. However, it became terribly popular for all sorts of contracts and other commitments to have "gold clauses" - provisions that specified that the payment(s) must be made in gold coin and not any other kind of currency. These gold clauses became so extremely common that it became obvious that there was not enough gold coinage around to pay them all if all the gold clauses somehow came due on the same day. The requirement - essentially for ceremonial purposes - for gold coins to make payments caused gold coins to acquire a much higher value than their exchange rate or the market value of their metallic content. This struck directly at the Constitutional authority given Congress to regulate the value of currency - the gold coins were effectively being sold as commodities (and at an elevated price) rather than circulating normally as money.

The Constitution forbids States to impair the obligation of contracts (Art. I, sec. 10, cl. 1), and Congress was similarly hesistant to exercise such power -- but if some contractual provision were held to violate "public policy" then that provision would be unenforceable. So Congress adopted House Joint Resolution 192 in 1933, declaring that it found that gold clauses violated public policy and henceforth would be unenforceable to compel payment in gold, and additionally that gold was no longer a medium of exchange, but that any contractual provision for a dollar amount in gold would be paid, dollar-for-dollar, by the same face value of any other form of US currency. This Joint Resolution was upheld by the US Supreme Court and continued unabated until around 1977, when most of the Joint Resolution was repealed.