A question to the published authors on this list

A discussion of the better things in life, including music, the arts, wine, beer, cigars, scotch, gambling the Quatloosian way, travel, sports, and many other topics. [Political and religious discussions and the like should stay off-site.]
Unidyne
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

A question to the published authors on this list

Post by Unidyne »

Since a number of you on this list are published authors, I humbly ask for advice.

I'll be finishing the first draft of a novel I've been working on and have been considering self-publishing when all is completed. What things should I look for (as well as look OUT for) when choosing a publishing service?

In case you're curious, I'd like to have my book available in both digital and hard copy versions.
Irony: The Ayn Rand® Institute (ARI) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Re: A question to the published authors on this list

Post by fortinbras »

I have not written novels, only articles in other people's publications, but ..... I hesitate to encourage self-publication. You thereby miss out on reviewers, publicity, and, very frequently, competent editing and proofing which, notwithstanding your own efforts, contributes greatly to a book's readability.

I instead encourage finding an experienced literary agent - one with a good track record - to peddle your ms to established publishing houses. Yes the agent will want a commission, but giving the agent 20% leaves you with 80% of something which always beats 100% of nothing.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

check your pm.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Unidyne wrote:Since a number of you on this list are published authors, I humbly ask for advice.

I'll be finishing the first draft of a novel I've been working on and have been considering self-publishing when all is completed. What things should I look for (as well as look OUT for) when choosing a publishing service?

In case you're curious, I'd like to have my book available in both digital and hard copy versions.
How technical and patient are you? Preparing a novel for electronic publication has any number of speed bumps some of which can be overcome via the various paid services that have sprung up like weeds. Some of the venues have arcane requirements that at some point in the future will be overcome by better packages that cater to making the process less onerous. For now, you can grind through the self-education process and tedious requirements and eventually get your book on services, even Amazon.

Then you're faced with marketing. You and several million other writers are trying to get the attention of the public. Getting that attention almost always involves professional talent. Trust me - books promoted on the weekend morning news shows don't get there because they're discovered by someone looking for talent; an agent/promotional firm with the right connections makes those things happen.

Number one suggestion - get an editor/proofreader. No matter how many times you read your own work, another set of eyes is invaluable and you have to subjugate your ego to a professional set of hurdles before you take a run at a publisher who can get the right publicity channel in motion.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
akbill
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by akbill »

If you possibly can get a Literary agent