New Nigerian Email - Help, I'm trapped in Nigeria!

Talk about the Nigerian 4-1-9 scam in all its many variations, such as bogus checks sent from Nigeria to purchase used cars in the U.S. and many other variations of this scam.
RyanMcC

New Nigerian Email - Help, I'm trapped in Nigeria!

Post by RyanMcC »

I received the following email that appeared to be from a customer of mine, it came from a customer's email address and included his full name at the end of the email.
How are you?.......I hope you are having a wonderful day, well i must say
that i am sorry if you think this may be bothering to you but i have no
choice at this point in time, I am currently in a west African country
Nigeria as i traveled there for meeting, sorry and accept my apology that
i didn't inform you that i was traveling , I am currently having some
problems at the moment, When i came down from the airport i flagged a Cab
to take me to the nearest hotel which i paid for before i entered. But
to my utmost surprise when i got to the hotel and was about checking in,
I noticed my wallet (which contained my passport,ATM card, some money and
other valuables) was not with me again. I talked to the Hotel manager who
out of pity saw that i was a foreigner allowed me with the condition that
i would pay before he allows me take any of my belongings out when i want
to finally leave. I explained to him that i would contact my friends and
families to help me.

I am currently very broke and the pay day from the deal i am having is
scheduled for this next month end, I have no where to go, no where to
run to and no one to help me, please i want to ask for your assistance
cause there is no one else i can turn to, hope you understand. I would
hope and pray you would be considerate enough to help me,Please i would
like you to help me with the sum of $2500 to help me get my flight
rearrangement and settle my hotel bills so i can get back to the country. I
promise will get your money returned as soon as i get back to the country.
The email didn't go straight to my junk-email folder like most Nigerian scam emails, the thing that made me really suspicious (other than the mention of Nigeria) was that I was amazed he could fit his passport in his wallet.

I found another site that has a copy of the note, the author of that site says his email account was hacked and the email was sent out by someone other than him.

http://www.deanesmay.com/2008/08/18/i-a ... n-nigeria/
oliviar

Re: New Nigerian Email - Help, I'm trapped in Nigeria!

Post by oliviar »

I get emails like this all the time, I don't know how they get my email.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Well, I don't know anyone who is this illiterate and yet can get over to Nigeria on business....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

An American who finds himself in these circumstances is supposed to be able to get help from the US diplomatic mission wherever he happens to be.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

Post by Cathulhu »

Fortinbras is correct. A real American citizen in such trouble would simply need to contact American Citizen Services at the embassy or consulate.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I would have thought that the bad, and terribly stilted, grammar would have been more than enough to blow it, but maybe that's just me. In any event, any business man who is doing that kind of traveling would just call their home office and get it resolved, and certainly wouldn't email a business acquaintance for crying out loud.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

RyanMcC wrote:I received the following email that appeared to be from a customer of mine, it came from a customer's email address and included his full name at the end of the email.
The scam email was tailored to include your customer's personal information?

He needs to check his computer(s) for viruses.
I found another site that has a copy of the note, the author of that site says his email account was hacked and the email was sent out by someone other than him.
Hacked? More likely he downloaded a nasty worm or trojan. I've seen it happen before, too many times. It didn't happen to me, of course, but I helped clean up the mess when a few friends were just a little bit too trusting and opened strange email attachments or clicked on the links embedded in strange looking emails.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

oliviar wrote:I get emails like this all the time, I don't know how they get my email.
It's not you. Your email address was probably harvested from someone else's address book by a computer virus on their computer, or from a chain-mail message forwarded by a gullible friend. If you ever posted your email address on a public webpage, an internet "spider" has already picked it up. Once you're on a scammer's spam list you're there forever.

Another friend of mine would broadcast her entire email address book (including my address) to the world by forwarding email chain-mails. You know the ones - please add your name to a pointless petition, or forward a "blessings and love" email to 20 friends - QUICK - and watch the blessings flow back to you.

Unfortunately, gullible folks who forward such tripe seldom think that by hitting "forward" they automatically add to the message body the email addresses of all previous recipients of the message. And they neither delete those previous recipients' info from the body of the message, nor think to use the BCC option when adding their own friends to the message.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein