ZB Block being over-zealous?

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
Flup
Swabby
Swabby

ZB Block being over-zealous?

Post by Flup »

Hi,

I usually browse the forum either from work or via a VPS, but today both are being blocked by ZB Block. Is it using a more restrictive ruleset?

Cheers
- Ian
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: ZB Block being over-zealous?

Post by webhick »

I checked all the IPs you've posted from so I can locate the reason in the logs. Your most common IP is assigned to a company with a 20.42% listing on CleanTalk.org and 1.45% on Google's Malware Dashboard.

PM me the current IP addresses for your work and VPN. There might be additional information there that I can work with to get you back online with us.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

I was blocked while using a public WiFi on an Amtrak train.

I thought, at first, it was Amtrak blocking Quatloos.com. Amtrak seems to block anything NSFW.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
webhick

Post by webhick »

Public WiFis are hit-or-miss. Someone must have used that IP or block of IPs to behave badly (hacking, spamming, etc).
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Cannot log in over wireless, either....

webhick

Post by webhick »

ZB Block doesn't care if you're on wireless. Can you PM me the affected IP address so I can track down the reason why you were blocked?
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Noticed that I'm now getting blocked when using the Tunnel Bear Chrome VPN extension with the ZB Block message.

Countries: UK, USA, Canada, France, Germany, Romania and Australia fail 403 forbidden (haven't tried all yet).

Example:
The detected reason(s) you were blocked are:
Spamhaus DROP/EDROP (IP4-SPAMHAUSDROPEDROP-759).

UK IP address for Tunnel Bear is is 206.189.112.252

Connects to Quatloos fine if I switch it off or set it to New Zealand (as I am now)!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
webhick

Post by webhick »

Anonymizer services are havens for spammers and hackers. These services issue you an IP that someone else has used and therefore might have been used by a spammer. The SpamHaus blocked IP lists change over time as a result. An IP that is blocked one day may not be blocked the next due to decreased abusive behavior coming from that IP. An IP that is fine today might not be tomorrow because a spammer started using it.

It seems there has not been much abuse from the NZ IPs.
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Blocked from "public" Wi-Fi; blocked IP address was 70.42.240.140 .

webhick

Post by webhick »

Arthur Rubin wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 am Blocked from "public" Wi-Fi; blocked IP address was 70.42.240.140 .
If the IP block's owner had a borderline reputation, I would temporarily open it up for you (since I can't open the IP since public wifis change your IPs a lot)....but there are a lot of bad bots using their network. We've even got recent hits on our own logs from those bots.