Proposed Gibberish Forum

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.

Name the new forum:

Poll ended at Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Not Even Wrong
16%
Word Salad Fruteria
5%
Word Salad Bar
47%
Jack Starrett Memorial
21%
Screwy Generis
11%

Total votes: 19

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: Proposed Gibberish Forum

Post by AndyK »

I would prefer to see some title which is neither (totally) disparaging nor an obscure reference to something.

We should show some degree of openness and respect to posters --- before we pounce on them and tear them to shreds.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

If you're calling the person who said "no sidewindin', bushwackin', hornswogglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter" obscure, I shall have to ask you to step outside.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I concur. Authentic Frontier Gibberish is an apt description.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by HardyW »

AndyK wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:59 pm I would prefer to see some title which is neither (totally) disparaging nor an obscure reference to something.

We should show some degree of openness and respect to posters --- before we pounce on them and tear them to shreds.
I agree with this comment and although I voted for "Screwy generis" that was because none of the others makes any sense at all. "Not even wrong" is as meaningless as most of the content we are discussing here. "Word salad" describes a large part of the boards and I have no idea what Jack Starrett refers to. My original suggestion of "something like Previous threads of dubious value" could be amended maybe to "dead-end discussions of dubious value" as one of the features of all these posts is that they don't lead anywhere (hence "dead-end") as the original posters never do what is asked of them namely to focus their message in any way at all so we can analyze their arguments.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

ND came up with a brilliant suggestion: "Slaughter of defenseless electrons"!
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
wserra

Post by wserra »

HardyW wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pmwhat Jack Starrett refers to.
- David Hume
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

wserra wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:10 pm
HardyW wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:41 pmwhat Jack Starrett refers to.
I was wondering who the hell he was too and checked him up on Wikipedia but I didn't make the Blazing Saddles connection. Too obscure even for me and I watch it frequently. I tend to skip past that scene though.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Dark Optimist
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by Dark Optimist »

But there are so many great lines - most of which you can't get away with anymore.

In the mid-90's, I was living in LA during the OJ trial, and Blazing Saddles was playing one weekend on a local TV station. Well, they did have the sense to censor the movie - the "N" word was a big issue at the trial.

So they censored the scene where they're gathered around the campfire eating beans - substituting horses neighing.

None of the profanity was bleeped out.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Dark Optimist wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 pmhorses neighing.
Wrong Mel movie. That was Frau Blücher.
- David Hume
wserra

Post by wserra »

"Word Salad Bar" is the easy winner. The new forum is in the "Other Stuff" section, below "Q Good Life". It has its first thread, one that's as on-topic as you're gonna see.
- David Hume
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by HardyW »

So are the other threads such as the ones I listed going to be moved there? It would be good to have them all in one place in case someone wants to do textual analysis and "spot the similarities" on them.
wserra

Post by wserra »

HardyW wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:40 am So are the other threads such as the ones I listed going to be moved there? It would be good to have them all in one place in case someone wants to do textual analysis and "spot the similarities" on them.
Jamie0331 http://www.quatloos.com/Q-Forum/viewtopic.php?t=11812
That thread begins its course as TP copypasta, as several posters observe. True, it veers off into unfocussed authentic frontier gibberish, but the TP forum is where it belongs.
All about taxes. Taxes for morons, sure, but taxes.
Starts on taxes, but immediately veers into "you're not the boss of me". Sovs is appropriate.
Gibberish, but about taxes.

Hardy - thanks for your ideas. But TP and sov stuff is all nonsense. If we moved it, we'd wind up with one big forum.

You have a good idea, though. If someone - you? - would be interested in finding similarities in those threads (and the many, many others like them), that would be an appropriate and interesting subject for the new forum.
- David Hume
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by HardyW »

No, not if they aren't all in one place.

The distinguishing feature of all 5 of these threads is that they were started by someone who holds the "alternative views" rather than report on them. The tax and sovcit sections in general discuss alternative theories they do not promote them.

There would be no purpose in creating the new section if it is only ever going to have one entry. If that was the idea then the new section would better be called "word salad concerning property rights" or something.