503 and other site errors

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

503 and other site errors

Post by HardyW »

Is the forum having problems? On my computers I get 503 service temporarily unavailable. On my phone I can access the forum but only 2 posts in 30 hours looks like a problem.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Re: 503 and other site errors

Post by webhick »

HardyW wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:33 pm Is the forum having problems? On my computers I get 503 service temporarily unavailable. On my phone I can access the forum but only 2 posts in 30 hours looks like a problem.
I'm working on it.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

I changed some things and the site looks like it is working faster, but I can't get it to throw any errors.

I plan on doing a forum upgrade sometime within the next few days. Probably tomorrow night, if I can fit it in.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
webhick

Post by webhick »

Upgrade complete.
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

This is a wierd one, and could be a coincidence but since the upgrade, on my phone I can only log in in incognito mode. When I try to log in normally using chrome, I get:

Login

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.

It works fine on my Laptop, and as I said, it is fine in Incognito. I cleared the cache, local data, and cookies from the site settings, but still doesn't work.

Any thoughts?
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Google reported a Chrome security exploit issue last night - make sure you've updated your browser.

JRB
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
webhick

Post by webhick »

NYGman wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:08 pm This is a wierd one, and could be a coincidence but since the upgrade, on my phone I can only log in in incognito mode. When I try to log in normally using chrome, I get:

Login

It works fine on my Laptop, and as I said, it is fine in Incognito. I cleared the cache, local data, and cookies from the site settings, but still doesn't work.

Any thoughts?
Stupid question: Did you try the link at the bottom of the page which says "Delete Cookies?" It doesn't just delete the cookies, it also flushes your sessions from the database.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

webhick wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:00 pm Stupid question: Did you try the link at the bottom of the page which says "Delete Cookies?" It doesn't just delete the cookies, it also flushes your sessions from the database.
Done and no change. Very odd and very annoying

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Incognito working would seem to suggest a weird cookie based problem. I found this on a PHP support forum. Obviously it relates to Firefox but it may be worth a go.
I solved it be clearing ALL my cookies in firefox. The board cookie wasn't enough if you can believe it.
Chrome and Opera were fine. Just FF had the problem.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:14 am Incognito working would seem to suggest a weird cookie based problem. I found this on a PHP support forum. Obviously it relates to Firefox but it may be worth a go.
I solved it be clearing ALL my cookies in firefox. The board cookie wasn't enough if you can believe it.
Chrome and Opera were fine. Just FF had the problem.
No dice... This makes no sense what so ever. Even deleted cookies from the login page after. Still no luck but fine in incognito

wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Gman - PM me the time at which and IP from which you attempted your last (unsuccessful) normal login.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
HardyW
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by HardyW »

I have still been getting the 503 error most of the time, logging in at home or on my phone. In fact on the phone right now I have a 403 error claiming "Outdated browser (EOL.B/MSIE/OPR)" instead.
Right now I am using a university PC and have not only found the Q forum but managed to log in and send this message.
Maybe I need to clear cookies etc but the 503 appears when I select the forum page and there is no option to log in or anything else.

When I started this thread I assumed Q was down for everyone as there had been no posts in a day but now I see plenty of posts so obviously not everyone is having this problem.
webhick

Post by webhick »

HardyW wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 am I have still been getting the 503 error most of the time, logging in at home or on my phone. In fact on the phone right now I have a 403 error claiming "Outdated browser (EOL.B/MSIE/OPR)" instead.
Right now I am using a university PC and have not only found the Q forum but managed to log in and send this message.
Maybe I need to clear cookies etc but the 503 appears when I select the forum page and there is no option to log in or anything else.

When I started this thread I assumed Q was down for everyone as there had been no posts in a day but now I see plenty of posts so obviously not everyone is having this problem.
I checked the killed logs and I couldn't find that error message anywhere. So, I checked the logs for your most common IP address and used that.

Assuming it's you who received the (EOLB.C/FF) error. On 11/2, you were given a 403 for an outdated browser (acccording to the information in the log, you're about 10 versions behind). You then hit the site a few more times. This triggered a ban because you were seen as a potentially malicious attack coming from an outdated browser. Unless you addressed the reason for the 403, refreshing the page only serves to get you banned.

As for the cell phone, I don't have enough information to work with. The killed log for that time period has over 150 matches for EOLB.E/MSIE/OPR, so if that's the actual error you received then...well, some of those entries look pretty suspicious and I'm not combing through that many entries to narrow it down.

All I can say is that if you hit a 403 for an outdated browser, then update your browser before trying again. If you keep triggering a 403 in the same day, you're going to get mistaken for an attacker and get 503'd.

In any event, I unblocked your IP but it won't get around your browser issue. If you hit a 403 and you don't feel as though it is justified, then the most helpful information to give me is the record number. It will direct me to the exact entry in the killed log.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

This has just kept me out of here for the last 24-48 hours. I have tried to update my Firefox browser but it is supposed to be current. Now I try again and I get in. Just thought I'd add to the info.

Edit - bet it was the https
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I cannot get the remember me function to work, signon at least recognizes my logon now which it wouldn't to start with, but now will not remember me to keep me signed in.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

notorial dissent wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:15 pm I cannot get the remember me function to work, signon at least recognizes my logon now which it wouldn't to start with, but now will not remember me to keep me signed in.
Same with me, "remember me" feature currently useless so I'm constantly having to sign in.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

And me. Since I've got in again the "remember me" is ineffective.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
wserra

Post by wserra »

Did you guys save the https:// to whatever bookmark you use to get here?
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
webhick

Post by webhick »

I also changed the cookie name, which forces everyone to be issued new cookies. Everyone will have to log in again, but the "remember me" should work after that.