Can't see facebook links

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Can't see facebook links

Post by grixit »

When someone tries to share one, what i see is
Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again.
I'm certainly not turning off protection. Is there anything that can be done on site?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Can't see facebook links

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

What browser are you using? Firefox has tracking protection turned on by default for all modes, the others seem to have it enabled in private/incognito mode but appear to be moving towards it becoming the default in normal mode.

It's why I usually cut and paste the relevant text, rather than just link to a Facebook post, especially as I don't have a Facebook account.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Please post a link to one of the posts where you have a problem. I checked out a couple of recent posts with FB links, and don't have a problem (using Chrome).
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

I have it too, but only when reading from work, where their servers block Facebook and some ads. I don't think there is an issue with the site, it is, as the note says, due to the ad blocking/IP Restrictions Owl has enabled.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

NYGman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:33 am ...due to the ad blocking/IP Restrictions Owl has enabled.
I don't have the problem, I was just asking what browser as I know it is an issue with Firefox.

To rule out another browser, I'm using Microsoft Edge Beta (which is based on Chrome) and don't have a problem. It seems to load the Facebook content in an iFrame and as the page loads, I do see the "Cannot load..." message briefly, but once the whole page has loaded Edge displays it fine.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Sorry Owl, meant Grixit.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
wserra

Post by wserra »

NYGman wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:09 pmSorry Owl, meant Grixit.
Next time, try "GrOwl".
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:33 am I don't have the problem, I was just asking what browser as I know it is an issue with Firefox.
I use nothing but Firefox, both mobile and computer, and have never had a browser problem on the site. Only time I've ever had issues everyone had issues.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Firefox is the thinking man's browser. But I'd avoid posting embeded Facebook links.
morrand

Post by morrand »

I have the same thing happening with Firefox (80.0.1). But I also have the "Facebook Container" extension enabled, which blocks Facebook tracking unless I'm actually on Facebook (or one of its progeny).

Firefox has a Help page on how to control its tracker blocking that may be worth a look if you really want to see what is in the Facebook embed. On the whole I'm with Jeffrey, though: besides not sending a bunch of bad analytics to FB, a copy-and-paste is better for preserving content.
---
Morrand