Difficulty accessing Quatloos

This is a message forum open to the public to make comments about Quatloos! and for suggestions meant to improve the website.
mufc1959
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: Difficulty accessing Quatloos

Post by mufc1959 »

Thanks webhick, much appreciated. I'll stick with FF 109 for a while, just to give things a while to settle down and then I'll upgrade to a newer version of FF in a month or two.

I am most grateful for the technical skills of everyone who manages the site behind the scenes.
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

Just got back in for the first time since last week. I was totally locked out in both Chrome and Firefox.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
morrand

Post by morrand »

webhick wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:58 pm I had tried a couple of things that apparently wasn't working. But, a patch was released for the anti-hacker software and I was able to get it by using my work VPN...since I'm still blocked on their site.

Hopefully that did the trick. I wiped out a ton of the bans so people who were formerly blocked should be able to get back in now. If anyone hears of someone else that is falsely blocked, let me know.
Thanks for that!
---
Morrand
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

mufc1959 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:28 pmI am most grateful for the technical skills of everyone who manages the site behind the scenes.
That "everyone" would be webhick.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I see that others can still access Quatloos normally from the continuing posts. When I connect through my normal connections or via my mobile phone using Microsoft Edge or Firefox I get:
Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable
I've checked with Dr Netolitzky (who I follow in Twitter) and he said he wasn't getting any problems, so the site is obviously working. I tried my VPN from the US and Canada and it triggers the spam filter.

So how am I posting this? Argentina doesn't appeared to be blocked!
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
AnOwlCalledSage

Okay. I've isolated it down to having something to do with my WiFi/Router/ISP. If I use my mobile phone as a hotspot it works without having to go via Argentina.

However, it's clearly connecting to the site as error 503 is coming back from the server.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra

Post by wserra »

Is anyone else getting 503s or otherwise having an issue logging in?
- David Hume
AnOwlCalledSage

wserra wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:46 am Is anyone else getting 503s or otherwise having an issue logging in?
But this is the problem... if you are getting 503 you can't login, reply or post!

Still getting it via my ISP, but I have a work around. Even if it is via Argentina!
wserra

Post by wserra »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:44 pmBut this is the problem... if you are getting 503 you can't login, reply or post!
True, but most people have access to alternatives - frequently inconvenient, sure, but enough to wave a figurative hand.
- David Hume
rogfulton
Caveat Venditor
Location: No longer behind the satellite dish, second door along - in fact, not even in the same building.

Post by rogfulton »

I had an issue over the weekend but today (Monday) it's fine.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it; nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it. Obedience to the law is demanded as a right; not asked as a favor."
- President Theodore Roosevelt
AnOwlCalledSage

It's back working without going via Argentina! :D
TraipsersWill
Tourist to Quatloosia
Tourist to Quatloosia

Post by TraipsersWill »

US: Firefox once again throwing "Warning, Warning!" at Quatloos. Got through on Chrome, no worries. (PC, Windows Network)
Live Slack, Die Fun, and leave an Exquisite Corpse
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

I'm fine on Firefox.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
technos
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by technos »

A quick check showed the anti-bot script flips out on older browsers and odd platforms. I get the "Warning!" page on IE10, Edge for Linux, konqueror, links, lynx, Netfront, and whatever old version of firefox I have on my HP PA-RISC machine.

Now, as to be expected, too many hits on Quatloos with an suspected bot as a browser end up with my IP address being sent to the corner for a while (The HTTP 503 so many other are seeing) so I figured I'd fire up Tor to report my results.

Aaand the bot script doesn't like inbounds from IP addresses associated with known cloud hosting providers. Bummer, but also a good idea. Had to rotate my identity three times to get one the site liked.
AnOwlCalledSage

And it's back!

"Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable"

Quatloos likes connections from Argentina and my VPN provider has a browser plug-in, so it's just a minor irritant now.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 7:51 am It's back working without going via Argentina! :D
Don't wifi for me, Argentina..
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
AnOwlCalledSage

Still can't access the site without using a VPN.

Belgium works okay!