Ivermectin v Covid19 - Interesting Article questioning things

Discussion of a variety of scams, including dating service scams, cyber-currencies, and other frauds and scams.
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Ivermectin v Covid19 - Interesting Article questioning things

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Obviously with my O level (UK) qualification in General Science from the mid-1960s I'm no scientific expert but this article which asks some questions about a paper which is sometimes cited to say Ivermectin might be a useful tool in the fight to control Covid-19.
Obviously I would be pleased it if Ivermectin did turn out to be a wonderful cure in the pandemic. It was an interesting read (to me) at least. For now I'll just leave the link - like I say I'm not a scientist and am not certain an attempt to summarise by myself would cover all the key facts.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Ivermectin v Covid19 - Interesting Article questioning things

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... t-covid-19

https://www.drugs.com/medical-answers/i ... s-3535912/

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/iverm ... 20patients.

This last article referred to ivermectin as "the new hydroxycholoroquine", which was my rapid impression after I read the FDA article.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medication intended for a specific parasite, which is pretty much what hydroxycholoroquine is. I don't remember coming across anything in literature or testing where an anti-biologic, I think is the correct term, has EVER functioned against a viral infection. It certainly doesn't work that way against the cold or flu virus and I have never heard of it EVER working anywhere else like that. Virus and biologic infection require entirely different treatment approaches.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 pm I don't remember coming across anything in literature or testing where an anti-biologic, I think is the correct term, has EVER functioned against a viral infection. It certainly doesn't work that way against the cold or flu virus and I have never heard of it EVER working anywhere else like that. Virus and biologic infection require entirely different treatment approaches.
What a surprise. It's being promoted by right wing web sites. More unicorn poo from anti-vaccers who don't want to admit they haven't got a Scooby-Doo how science works.

If it wasn't for the fact that it's not how herd immunity works, I'd be all for refusing treatment to people who have positively refused the vaccines.

(I wouldn't as I'm not that cruel, but why not let Darwinism take it's course. so we can resolve how old the earth is once and for all!)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... l-concerns
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

If I didn't make it clear, the article I linked was saying there might be flaws in the paper sometimes mentioned when Ivermectin is suggested as a treatment for Covid-19. I didn't want to use statements which might be considered defamatory. I wasn't suggesting for a moment Ivermectin should be used and neither does the article I linked - in fact it questions whether the suggestion of Ivermectin is credible.

The link posted as a picture instead of a url but clicking on it should take the reader to the original article.
Last edited by CrankyBoomer on Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

CrankyBoomer wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:34 pm If I didn't make it clear, the article I linked was saying there might be flaws in the paper sometimes mentioned when Ivermectin is suggested as a treatment for Covid-19.
I wasn't suggesting for a moment that I thought you thought it was valid. It was clear you were posting it correctly as fraud.

They are using "flaws" as a slightly euphemistic term for "complete pile of crap" :snicker:
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Okay Sage, perhaps I'm being overly sensitive - my hayfever is playing up. Not serious of itself but it's unpleasant.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

It is amazing that people will take Ivermectin or hydroxycholoroquine, or whatever other medicine they say cures Covid-19 which show no scientific proof of working, but wont take a vaccine with a +90% effective rate to prevent getting the damn virus to begin with. In what Bizarre world do you promote unproven medicine and shun the proven ones?
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 pm Ivermectin is an anti-parasite medication intended for a specific parasite, which is pretty much what hydroxycholoroquine is. I don't remember coming across anything in literature or testing where an anti-biologic, I think is the correct term, has EVER functioned against a viral infection.
The interest in Ivermectin as a supposed cure for covid is based on a known side effect when used for de-worming cattle and pigs where their anti-viral immune response doesn't work properly for certain vaccines. Summary is that you have to wait for the Ivermectin to clear their system before vaccinating your pigs and cows.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I'm pretty sure that unfortunately this is political but when in doubt I refer to Gorski:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/iverme ... ne-take-2/
morrand

Post by morrand »

NYGman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 pm It is amazing that people will take Ivermectin or hydroxycholoroquine, or whatever other medicine they say cures Covid-19 which show no scientific proof of working, but wont take a vaccine with a +90% effective rate to prevent getting the damn virus to begin with. In what Bizarre world do you promote unproven medicine and shun the proven ones?
One in which being defiant is more important than being right.
---
Morrand
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

morrand wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:30 pm
NYGman wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:21 pm It is amazing that people will take Ivermectin or hydroxycholoroquine, or whatever other medicine they say cures Covid-19 which show no scientific proof of working, but wont take a vaccine with a +90% effective rate to prevent getting the damn virus to begin with. In what Bizarre world do you promote unproven medicine and shun the proven ones?
One in which being defiant is more important than being right.
Now if you substitute mordantly stupid for defiant I would agree.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

Not solely about ivermectin but a fairly recent episode of Conspiracy Clearinghouse (a channel looking sensibly at conspiracy theories) touched on the snake oil sales of some of those giving incorrect information about Covid-19.