The bullies, and why they don't matter.

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

The bullies, and why they don't matter.

Post by Manny »

I must admit I was very surprised by how so many here react to the opinions of others! Rather than ask WHY folks feel as they do about issues, they ridicule and insult. That's OK I guess as it may keep them off the streets. Thank goodness most folks take the time to think about contrasting opinions and research them. THEN state why they disagree. That's how we learn right?

Folks who already know it all feel it's more important to be right than learn and are too lazy to think and ask. The bullies know everything about you and will be glad to tell you so. They don't matter because they add nothing to the betterment of the species.

Every dangerous issue usually boils down to simple greed, and that makes humans responsible for mayhem and death second only to the mosquito. Seriously, if you were an alien traveler that could bend space and time, would you want to visit Earth? Why?!
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: The bullies, and why they don't matter.

Post by The Observer »

Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Rather than ask WHY folks feel as they do about issues,...
Asking a person why they feel a certain way about issues does nothing to address the basis of whether a person's position on an issue is accurate, honest, fact-based and/or true. Feelings are just that, feelings, and have little to no impact on the correctness of a position, one way or another. Asking me how I feel about botulism does nothing to guarantee that the burger you are about to sink your teeth into won't make you ill later on.

So here on Quatloos, the regulars don't really care how about any person "feels" about an issue. We are more interested in finding out if a person is peddling cow pies disguised as "fact" rather than how they "feel" about cow pies.
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Thank goodness most folks take the time to think about contrasting opinions and research them. THEN state why they disagree. That's how we learn right?
No need to "research" a person's "opinion" if that person's "opinion" has already been debunked and proven wrong here before. And no need to waste time on a person who is merely recycling the sewage they brought from elsewhere.
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Every dangerous issue usually boils down to simple greed,..

Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing we see regularly here, greedy people trying to convince others that their "feelings" and "opinions" are the truth.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

"He Tells Her"

He tells her that the Earth is flat—
He knows the facts, and that is that.
In altercations fierce and long
She tries her best to prove him wrong.
But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win. He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.

—Wendy Cope
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pmI must admit I was very surprised by how so many here react to the opinions of others!
QUICK QUIZ

(1) Which of the following does not constitute bullying in an online forum?
  1. Banning a poster, or deleting/editing posts, due solely to the opinions expressed.
  2. Posting personal information about a poster unrelated to the subject of the post.
  3. Calling out a bigot.
(2) How should one react to anti-Semitic dog whistles?
  1. "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"
  2. "Well, I don't know. I understand that you have strong feelings about this, and have no intention of offending you, but I really think that you ought to examine the implications of your position."
  3. "What an asshole."
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Or, as someone once said, "you are perfectly free to believe any stupid assed thing you choose, just don't get all offended or expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to pat you on the back and tell you how clever you are", the real world just doesn't work that way.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

The Observer wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:41 pm
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Rather than ask WHY folks feel as they do about issues,...
Asking a person why they feel a certain way about issues does nothing to address the basis of whether a person's position on an issue is accurate, honest, fact-based and/or true. Feelings are just that, feelings, and have little to no impact on the correctness of a position, one way or another. Asking me how I feel about botulism does nothing to guarantee that the burger you are about to sink your teeth into won't make you ill later on.

So here on Quatloos, the regulars don't really care how about any person "feels" about an issue. We are more interested in finding out if a person is peddling cow pies disguised as "fact" rather than how they "feel" about cow pies.
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Thank goodness most folks take the time to think about contrasting opinions and research them. THEN state why they disagree. That's how we learn right?
No need to "research" a person's "opinion" if that person's "opinion" has already been debunked and proven wrong here before. And no need to waste time on a person who is merely recycling the sewage they brought from elsewhere.
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pm Every dangerous issue usually boils down to simple greed,..

Yes, that is exactly the kind of thing we see regularly here, greedy people trying to convince others that their "feelings" and "opinions" are the truth.

OK, in order:

Asking you how you feel about the equality of humans could change my opinion on that issue since you just might explain your opinion in a way I never considered, and vice versa.

I'm here because I DO care how you feel about an issue. Otherwise I could act in a harmful way due to ignorance. Everyone possesses a "bullshit detector"

Many post shit they think is correct due to lack of research; how would they know they're wrong unless someone points out why?

To convince someone that you're correct you must state why or just call them an asshole. We're A"" assholes, it's just a matter of degree.

We seem to agree. How's that?
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

wserra wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:16 am
Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 pmI must admit I was very surprised by how so many here react to the opinions of others!
QUICK QUIZ

(1) Which of the following does not constitute bullying in an online forum?
  1. Banning a poster, or deleting/editing posts, due solely to the opinions expressed.
  2. Posting personal information about a poster unrelated to the subject of the post.
  3. Calling out a bigot.
(2) How should one react to anti-Semitic dog whistles?
  1. "Thank you, sir! May I have another?"
  2. "Well, I don't know. I understand that you have strong feelings about this, and have no intention of offending you, but I really think that you ought to examine the implications of your position."
  3. "What an asshole."
In my opinion...

(1) C

(2) B

With regard to bigots, most bigots don't recognize their own bigotry. And we ALL know what they're like, right?

(1)
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

notorial dissent wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm Or, as someone once said, "you are perfectly free to believe any stupid assed thing you choose, just don't get all offended or expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to pat you on the back and tell you how clever you are", the real world just doesn't work that way.
That's why the site can be fun! There are issues that have been declared as factual (by someone; maybe Jimmy) that have their doubters. There was a program on TV last night where a conspiracy guy stated that Val Allen belt radiation would prohibit someone going to the moon. The science guys showed how plexiglas cut the radiation substantially. The conspiracy guy gave in but said it still doesn't prove that the moon landing happened. Sheesh!!

Flat Earthers, organized religion adherents, and French Canadians provide substantial amusement.
wserra

Post by wserra »

Manny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:04 pmI'm outta here.
Guess not. Damn.
- David Hume
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Manny wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:07 pm
notorial dissent wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:07 pm Or, as someone once said, "you are perfectly free to believe any stupid assed thing you choose, just don't get all offended or expect me, or anyone else for that matter, to pat you on the back and tell you how clever you are", the real world just doesn't work that way.
That's why the site can be fun! There are issues that have been declared as factual (by someone; maybe Jimmy) that have their doubters. There was a program on TV last night where a conspiracy guy stated that Val Allen belt radiation would prohibit someone going to the moon. The science guys showed how plexiglas cut the radiation substantially. The conspiracy guy gave in but said it still doesn't prove that the moon landing happened. Sheesh!!
Flat Earthers, organized religion adherents, and French Canadians provide substantial amusement.
I'm not quite sure if you're purposely trolling or just don't get it. Being a Flat Earther or adherent of a particular religion is a personal belief that may or may not be supported by factual truth and making fun of these people can be amusing at times, in a low kind of way. Someone's racial/cultural background is not a matter of belief or choice, it's a fact.

Personal note - As one of the few here on Quatloos who is somewhat conversant in Quebec language and culture due to ancestry and education I make an effort to monitor the rarely studied Quebec sovereign citizen movement and how they have diverged from the rest of Canadian OPCA adherents and I take personal exception to your remarks.
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

eric wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:36 am
Manny wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:07 pm
I'm not quite sure if you're purposely trolling or just don't get it. Being a Flat Earther or adherent of a particular religion is a personal belief that may or may not be supported by factual truth and making fun of these people can be amusing at times, in a low kind of way. Someone's racial/cultural background is not a matter of belief or choice, it's a fact.

Personal note - As one of the few here on Quatloos who is somewhat conversant in Quebec language and culture due to ancestry and education I make an effort to monitor the rarely studied Quebec sovereign citizen movement and how they have diverged from the rest of Canadian OPCA adherents and I take personal exception to your remarks.
I knew someone would get pissed with that statement. I thought I might use the Congolese as my sarcastic target but I doubt anyone would take exception. I've travelled extensively and Quebec is home to the most arrogant folks I've ever seen. So, that's a factual experience and we left a week early. My take about the cause is the language barrier and it seems to me the only reason for wanting independence. I'm almost fluent in French but that didn't matter. I'm from New York City and have run across French Canadian tourists on occasion. Never a "please" or "thank you" when I helped them. In French.

You're right about race and background and I laugh at people that take pride in something they had no choice in. Like being Armenian. I think the problem here is that we actually agree but you take things a bit too seriously. The politically correct world makes me sick and I DO consider the feelings of others. But it's time for the world to lighten up.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Gotcha.... nothing more than a troll. My original reply was carefully crafted to reveal as little as possible about myself and to extract information, and a rise from you. So you had a bad time when visiting a region with a different culture and language from yours. Life can be rough, suck it up, if you had a bad experience when visiting somewhere, well sh*t happens and don't make generalizations about other cultures based on your very naive education and a few bad exchanges.
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

eric wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:29 am Gotcha.... nothing more than a troll. My original reply was carefully crafted to reveal as little as possible about myself and to extract information, and a rise from you. So you had a bad time when visiting a region with a different culture and language from yours. Life can be rough, suck it up, if you had a bad experience when visiting somewhere, well sh*t happens and don't make generalizations about other cultures based on your very naive education and a few bad exchanges.
Well, no. I speak French and there's really no cultural difference.. Sorry but no rise here, Just stated facts as they relate to me. No more from me here; begone.
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Oh, if only. A name change and the same old bollocks will be back.

Perhaps one of the worst trolls we've had here recently. Not worst as in terrible, more as in poor, There wasn't any sport in the chase! A battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra

Post by wserra »

Useless thread locked and archived.
- David Hume