Snipes is in the hands of the jury II

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Investor

Post by Investor »

The jury is still out - we'll know what they say soon enough.
Absolutely correct - which is why most of this thread is just nonsensical.
You guys can play all the semantics games you like - I made my point. The bottom line is, there is ample evidence before the jury for them to conclude that Snipes was at one time relying upon Attorney Ray Pope, and that was the point that JJ chose to take issue with
Perhaps, perhaps not. You and Demo clearly know more about what the jury has by way of evidence than the rest of us.
I don't know how you do business, but I personally have never had a Client I never met, or talked to - and I have never had a case where an attorney represented someone they never met or talked to either.
Me neither. But I have been asked to do so by many disreputable "professionals", including Renaissance, The Tax People. Just because competent and ethical attorneys don't do this, does not mean that Ray Pope, who has demonstrated a lacking in professional ethics, does not operate in this manner.

EDIT: And by the way, Bill. I don't think you are correct when you say that everyone here has Snipes convicted already. I think most of us are admittedly unclear as to what the jury will do. Further, many of us have expressed our concerns for Snipes on a personal level - we are on this site because we are hopeful that we can dissuade people like Snipes from become the victims of the Kahns and Rosiles of the world.
Last edited by Investor on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill E. Branscum

Post by Bill E. Branscum »

Demosthenes wrote:What people who are reading Quatloos have seen are people making humorous comments and someone on the defense team out of control with unprofessional insults.

Oh, I see. Your statement, "Are you just blowing off steam, or do I really need to spend the time to debunk the nonsense you're posting here?" was intended to be funny.

I note that you have not followed up on your offer to "debunk the nonsense." Color me small minded, but when people start questioning my integrity, I just don't see the humor.

When you apologize and admit that everything I have said is supported by the transcripts and evidence, I'll be able to see it differently. Until then, I regard it as a cheap shot you cannot support.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Bill E. Branscum wrote:I don't know how you do business, but I personally have never had a Client I never met, or talked to - and I have never had a case where an attorney represented someone they never met or talked to either.

You guys can play all the semantics games you like - I made my point. The bottom line is, there is ample evidence before the jury for them to conclude that Snipes was at one time relying upon Attorney Ray Pope, and that was the point that JJ chose to take issue with.

The jury is still out - we'll know what they say soon enough.
Bill,

I am not following this case very closely, so I may be wrong. However, you may meet every client personally, but there is still no evidence that Snipes ever met Pope (EDIT: At least from what I have seen here). Snipes was using ARL. As far as I know, Eddie Kahn was the main contact at that company. Ray Pope did some legal work for ARL. It is entirely possible that Eddie Kahn had Snipes sign a POA and told him that he would have a lawyer take care of a particular issue. If that is the case, Snipes may have never even met or spoken with Pope or even have known the lawyer's name. Snipes may have trusted Kahn to handle the communications with the lawyer.
Last edited by The Operative on Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Bill E. Branscum wrote:I'm just trying to look out for the best interests of Quatloos -
And I, for one, am certainly glad that we have you to do that.
we do have a reputation to uphold as a place to find out what's really going on.
We? We? The first time in years that you posted here, you defended Bernhoft (vx. Billy Martin) without telling anyone that you were on Bernhoft's payroll.

BTW, do you still think that Dan Meachum "epitomizes affinity fraud"? Have you leaned over and told him that lately?
As things were before I started posting, an independent observer would have seen nothing but the instant conviction on all counts rhetoric that has already proven to be wasted bandwidth.
"Nothing but" an instant conviction? Perhaps you didn't read my posts, in which I say I never attempt to predict what a jury will do, because you never know. And in which I wished Snipes well, were he to be acquitted. I wasn't the only one.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Bill E. Branscum wrote: When you apologize and admit that everything I have said is supported by the transcripts and evidence, I'll be able to see it differently. Until then, I regard it as a cheap shot you cannot support.
I'm still wondering about which witness testified as to the "impeccable credentials" of Ray Pope that you mentioned and I asked about.
Quote:
Bill E. Branscum wrote:
Had you sat in a juror's seat, you would have heard that an attorney with impeccable credentials advised Snipes that all Americans have some sort of secret account that we don't know about . . . and we can use that account to discharge debts.
Dezcad wrote: So who testified to Ray Pope's impeccable credentials that the jury would have heard?
Bill E. Branscum

wserra wrote:
BTW, do you still think that Dan Meachum "epitomizes affinity fraud"? Have you leaned over and told him that lately?
I don't have much to do with Meachum - he isn't here at the trial house with us, and I'm not expecting any Christmas cards when we leave.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Dezcad wrote:I'm still wondering about which witness testified as to the "impeccable credentials" of Ray Pope that you mentioned and I asked about.
And I'm wondering why Bill has avoided answering this question directly...twice.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Bill E. Branscum

Dezcad wrote:
Bill E. Branscum wrote: When you apologize and admit that everything I have said is supported by the transcripts and evidence, I'll be able to see it differently. Until then, I regard it as a cheap shot you cannot support.
I'm still wondering about which witness testified as to the "impeccable credentials" of Ray Pope that you mentioned and I asked about.
Quote:
Bill E. Branscum wrote:
Had you sat in a juror's seat, you would have heard that an attorney with impeccable credentials advised Snipes that all Americans have some sort of secret account that we don't know about . . . and we can use that account to discharge debts.
Dezcad wrote: So who testified to Ray Pope's impeccable credentials that the jury would have heard?
The first reference to Pope was in the opening statement to the Jury:

"One of the first ARL attorneys that is rolled out for Mr. Snipes is an attorney named Ray Pope. Mr. Pope has a spectacular pedigree, graduated top of his law class, what we call Order of the Coif, a special designation. He's certified to practice in Federal Court."

"And he also has a personal resume that would give
one confidence. He's a Sunday school teacher and deacon in
his Baptist church."

Bill
Last edited by Bill E. Branscum on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Investor

Post by Investor »

Bill-

Was anything mentioned about Pope's disbarment or his conviction for crimes of dishonesty?

Please note, I'm not piling onto the attacks against your perception of what happened. I'm genuinely interested to know if the government let the defense discuss the "great pedigree" of Pope without pointing out his own troubles with the law. Of course, I don't know the time-line, and could imagine this being deemed irrelevant if Pope's legal trouble happened after Snipe's reliance on his advice and Snipes had no way of knowing that such trouble was on the horizon.
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

Bill E. Branscum wrote:
Dezcad wrote:
Quote:
Bill E. Branscum wrote:

"One of the first ARL attorneys that is rolled out for Mr. Snipes is an attorney named Ray Pope. Mr. Pope has a spectacular pedigree, graduated top of his law class, what we call Order of the Coif, a special designation. He's certified to practice in Federal Court."

his Baptist church."

Bill
Still waiting for trial testimony. Opening statements aren't evidence, and the statement above borders on dishonesty.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

his Baptist church."
You are the one playing with semantics, Bill. An alleged fact in an opening statement is not "testimony by a witness" to that fact. It is mere hearsay unless subsequently testified to by someone qualified to testify to that fact. Please produce the testimony that proves the alleged fact in the opening statement.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Bill E. Branscum wrote:The first reference to Pope was in the opening statement to the Jury:

his Baptist church."

Bill
So was there any evidence introduced at trial (testimony or documents) that supported those assertions made in "opening arguments"?

Is it true that "Ray" is a "Sunday school teacher and deacon in his Baptist church"? Isn't he incarcerated?
wserra

Post by wserra »

Imalawman wrote:the statement above borders on dishonesty.
On the wrong side of the border.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Investor

Post by Investor »

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.wftv.com/news/15188108/detail.html

OCALA, Fla. -- Channel 9 has uncovered video that could give actor Wesley Snipes a reason to appeal, if he's convicted of tax fraud.

In the last 24 hours, someone posted a video on Youtube of prosecution witness Carmen Baker.

In the video Baker, a former Snipes employee, tells other employees that she did not withhold taxes from payroll. She admits she willingly participated in a tax scheme jurors heard was forced on her by Snipes.

“The IRS doesn't need to know that for three months we weren't taxed. It's just as simple as that,” said Baker in the video. “Guess what? I got a refund. Guess what? Next time you see me, I'll be driving a BMW, because I got a refund.”

Baker testified during the trial that she was a victim of Snipes' tax beliefs. His legal team believes the video may tell a very different story.

“I have to look at it but if that's in fact true, and she's a star government witness, that presents a problem,” said Danny Meachum, Snipes’ attorney.

It is unclear what the video means for the defense. Jurors have deliberated for two days and the Snipes team might argue their verdict should be thrown out or that Snipes should get a new trial.
webhick
Illuminati Obfuscation: Black Ops Div

Post by webhick »

Does anyone know if a transcript of the video exists? I can't hear it very well.
When chosen for jury duty, tell the judge "fortune cookie says guilty" - A fortune cookie
Bill E. Branscum

Investor wrote:Bill-

Was anything mentioned about Pope's disbarment or his conviction for crimes of dishonesty?

Please note, I'm not piling onto the attacks against your perception of what happened. I'm genuinely interested to know if the government let the defense discuss the "great pedigree" of Pope without pointing out his own troubles with the law. Of course, I don't know the time-line, and could imagine this being deemed irrelevant if Pope's legal trouble happened after Snipe's reliance on his advice and Snipes had no way of knowing that such trouble was on the horizon.
No offense taken - Pope's conviction and disbarment was not considered to be relevant since that all happened after the fact - the fact being Snipes initial reliance in good faith.

Keep in mind that the defense offered a "stair step" defense of initial reliance, and then standing pat once the government advised Snipes that he was under criminal investigation and read him Miranda Rights (May 2002).

If a person files and pays upon being noticed that they are under criminal investigation, the government can be expected to use the fact that a person filed and paid as evidence that they never really believed they didn't have to. In fact, that is precisely what they argued with respect to Rosile in this case.
iplawyer

Post by iplawyer »

Bill E. Branscum wrote:
Investor wrote:Bill-

No offense taken - Pope's conviction and disbarment was not considered to be relevant since that all happened after the fact - the fact being Snipes initial reliance in good faith.

Keep in mind that the defense offered a "stair step" defense of initial reliance, and then standing pat once the government advised Snipes that he was under criminal investigation and read him Miranda Rights (May 2002).

If a person files and pays upon being noticed that they are under criminal investigation, the government can be expected to use the fact that a person filed and paid as evidence that they never really believed they didn't have to. In fact, that is precisely what they argued with respect to Rosile in this case.
Bill - where is the witness testimony that Pope was the guy alleged by the attorney giving the opening statement? Why do you practice selective responding here when you are caught in a lie?
Kimokeo

Post by Kimokeo »

"One of the first ARL attorneys that is rolled out for Mr. Snipes is an attorney named Ray Pope. Mr. Pope has (had) a spectacular pedigree, graduated top of his law class, what we call Order of the Coif, a special designation. He's was certified to practice in Federal Court."

one confidence. He's was a Sunday school teacher and was a deacon in his Baptist church."

Out of curiosity, was the opening statement made before or after his conviction?
Evil Squirrel Overlord
Emperor of rodents, foreign and domestic

Post by Evil Squirrel Overlord »

webhick wrote:Does anyone know if a transcript of the video exists? I can't hear it very well.
More importantly how can I get a BMW from my refund?
jg
Fed Chairman of the Quatloosian Reserve

Post by jg »

Evil Squirrel Overlord wrote:
webhick wrote:Does anyone know if a transcript of the video exists? I can't hear it very well.
More importantly how can I get a BMW from my refund?
1987 325is bmw - $700 see http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/car/559161179.html
“Where there is an income tax, the just man will pay more and the unjust less on the same amount of income.” — Plato