Yet another Bill of Exchange criminal case

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Yet another Bill of Exchange criminal case

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/wahler1.pdf

Will these morons who pass phony checks on non-existent Treasury accounts ever get a clue?
Demo.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Re: Yet another Bill of Exchange criminal case

Post by The Operative »

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Leftcoaster

Post by Leftcoaster »

Demosthenes wrote:http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/wahler1.pdf

Will these morons who pass phony checks on non-existent Treasury accounts ever get a clue?
I'll hazard a guess: No. No they won't.

They will pass them with a fox
They will pass them in a box
They will pass them here and there
They will pass them everywhere

Then they all go off to jail
and CKB yells "Epic Fail!"
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Am I the only one wondering why it is taking this long to get around to prosecuting these cases?

Five years?

And we wonder why they're proliferating like flies?

You can put together these schemes and sell them (i.e., Freedom Club USA) for years, stash the money and not have to worry. When the time finally comes and the guys in dark suits with no sense of humor they're aware of start snooping around, you hop on over to your favorite offshore haven and live well.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

CaptainKickback wrote:Sad, but true - P. T. Barnum was correct, as was the originator (not me) of my personal quote below.
"There's a sucker born every minute."

Actually, Mr. Barnum never said that. The person who actually said it was David Hannum.
The Cardiff Giant was the most talked about exhibit in the nation. Barnum wanted the giant to display himself while the attraction was still a hot topic of the day. Rather than upping his offer, Barnum hired a crew of workers to carve a giant of his own. Within a short time, Barnum unveiled HIS giant and proclaimed that Hannum had sold Barnum the original giant and that Hannum was now displaying a fake! Thousands of people flocked to see Barnum's giant. Many newspapers carried the version that Barnum had given them; that is, Hannum's giant was a fake and Barnum's was authentic. It is at this point that Hannum -- NOT BARNUM -- was quoted as saying "There's a sucker born every minute." Hannum, still under the impression that HIS giant was authentic, was referring to the thousands of "fools" that paid money to see Barnum's fake and not his authentic one.
http://www.historybuff.com/library/refbarnum.html

Upon further reading, Mr. Barnum would have made excellent Quatloos material if he were alive today.
Often referred to as the "Prince of Humbugs", Barnum saw nothing wrong in entertainers or vendors using hype (or "humbug", as he termed it) in their promotional material, just as long as the public was getting good value for its money. However, he was contemptuous of those who made money through fraudulent deceptions, especially the spiritualist mediums popular in his day, testifying against noted spirit photographer William H. Mumler in his trial for fraud. Prefiguring illusionists Harry Houdini and James Randi, Barnum publicly exposed "the tricks of the trade" used by mediums to deceive and cheat the bereaved. In The Humbugs of the World, he offered a $500 reward to any medium who could prove their claimed power to communicate with the dead without trickery.
Last edited by Doktor Avalanche on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
Doktor Avalanche
Asst Secretary, the Dept of Jesters

Post by Doktor Avalanche »

CaptainKickback wrote: And while Hannum said it, Barnum capitalized on it. Sounds like sour grapes on Hannum's part.
That's quite true.
In turn, Barnum's fellow circus owner and arch-rival Adam Forepaugh attributed the quote to Barnum in a newspaper interview in an attempt to discredit him. However, Barnum never denied making the quote. It is said that he thanked Forepaugh for the free publicity he had given him.
The laissez-faire argument relies on the same tacit appeal to perfection as does communism. - George Soros
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

I read that Barnum bought a few dubious oil stocks in his time.
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

This particular loser (Ed Wahler) 1) is a tax protester who has been sanctioned by the courts, and 2) has filed for personal bankruptcy in recent years.

His run in with the IRS:

http://www.cheatingfrenzy.com/wahler_civ17.pdf

Affirmed by the 4th Circuit here:

http://pacer.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinion.pdf/022467.U.pdf

Lots of interesting bits about Robert Clarkson.
Demo.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The 4th Circuit affirmance is published at 62 Fed.Appx 526.