Dr. & Mrs. Dino lose on appeal!

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Paths of the Sea
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Dr. & Mrs. Dino lose on appeal!

Post by Paths of the Sea »

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/app ... ll/article?
AID=/20070420/NEWS01/704200332/1006/NEWS01

Judge Rodgers denies appeal from Hovind, wife on tax charges

An appeal by Pensacola creationist Kent Hovind and his wife, Jo
Hovind, seeking acquittal on tax-fraud charges was denied.

U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers upheld the Hovinds' November 2006 conviction on 44 counts of bank-structuring -- the withdrawal of bank funds under the $10,000 threshold that triggers bank reports to the Internal Revenue Service.

During the trial, prosecutors presented evidence that showed the couple routinely withdrew $9,500 and $9,600, from their bank.

In November, a jury found Kent Hovind guilty on 58 federal counts, including failure to pay $845,000 in employee-related taxes. In January, he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Jo Hovind was convicted of 44 counts of evading bank-reporting
requirements. Her sentencing was delayed pending the appeal and should soon be set.

-----------------
-----------------
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

If I am reading this correctly, this is not the "appeal," which would go to the 11th Circuit, but the trial judge's denial of their post-trial motions.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Dino has a lengthy email exchange with God.

Some things just have to speak for themselves. Even if Hovind also speaks for God.

http://www.cseblogs.com/?p=75
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Imalawman
Enchanted Consultant of the Red Stapler
Location: Formerly in a cubicle by the window where I could see the squirrels, and they were married.

Post by Imalawman »

You can say what you want about Dr. Dino, but of all the TPs I've seen face jail time, this man has done so with more dignity than all of them combined. (yes, the conversation to God was nutty, no debating that) But he seems to really care about the men that he's with. We know he's taught many of them grammar, math and other basic educational subjects. He broke the law and he's paying for it (as he deserves). It would appear the organization is changing their tax practices and moving on. Anyway, I can't really enjoy poking fun and mocking him like the other whiners in jail.
"Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs" - Unknown
ElfNinosMom

Post by ElfNinosMom »

If I recall correctly, the Dinos made a motion for acquittal with the trial court after the case was over, rather than after the prosecution's case was presented.

I therefore think this is the judge's (completely unsurprising) ruling on that motion, and not a decision on appeal to a higher court.

I agree with lawman, in that Dr Dino seems to have done more good in prison, than he ever did as a free man.
Quixote
Quatloosian Master of Deception

Post by Quixote »

I didn't read the whole "e-mail" exchange, but it appears that the only source of information about the effects of Hovind's "ministry" in prison are the same voices in his head that told him that an organization founded to teach bad science was the legal equivalent of a church.
GOD: Did you know that he will meditate on My Word which you sowed in his heart and will get saved in seventeen days. He will later witness to his family and friends and by the time you all get up here for judgement day, eighty-seven people will be here because of him.
GOD: My Word never comes back void, son (Isaiah 55:1). It got through. He has been in prison for fourteen years and has five more to go. He is angry at the world and planned to seek vengeance when he got out. He has been talking to me since yesterday. You won’t see him again on earth, son, but his new cell mate is a Chrstian. In the next thirty days, he will witness to him and he will call on me for forgiveness. You will se him in Heaven, son.
It seems to me that Hovind dreamed up that conversation with God to remind himself how special he thinks he is.
GOD: You also had time to talk to John, but you never did. You were too busy trying to rest and asking me to have your appeal granted. I will overturn your case, son, when I’m done using you for this special mission. Do you think the US government or the Bureau of Prisons could hold you if I wanted you out?
See? He's not a convicted felon, he's an instrument of the Lord.
"Here is a fundamental question to ask yourself- what is the goal of the income tax scam? I think it is a means to extract wealth from the masses and give it to a parasite class." Skankbeat