Question about non-profits....

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
wvfoos
Quatloos Destroyer of Lives (Level 1)

Question about non-profits....

Post by wvfoos »

I thought somewhere, there was an online listing to the various 501(whatevers) irs filings, that included information like officer compensation, but I can't seem to find them. I swear I think I saw them online somewhere on the IRS site months (maybe years) ago, but can't seem to find them now.

Anyone know where I can find this? I don't mean going to non-profit x's own site, and seeing where they posted their own filing. I swear I thought the IRS made that info available somehow over the net in some sort of database, you could search by name/state/etc.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Re: Question about non-profits....

Post by Demosthenes »

wvfoos wrote:I thought somewhere, there was an online listing to the various 501(whatevers) irs filings, that included information like officer compensation, but I can't seem to find them. I swear I think I saw them online somewhere on the IRS site months (maybe years) ago, but can't seem to find them now.

Anyone know where I can find this? I don't mean going to non-profit x's own site, and seeing where they posted their own filing. I swear I thought the IRS made that info available somehow over the net in some sort of database, you could search by name/state/etc.

http://www.guidestar.org
wvfoos

Post by wvfoos »

Nah, that's not it. That's a pay site, if you want anything other than basic information (ie, like name, address, etc., of the nonprofit).
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

wvfoos wrote:Nah, that's not it. That's a pay site, if you want anything other than basic information (ie, like name, address, etc., of the nonprofit).
No, it's completely free to download Form 990s for the most recent years. You have to register, but it's free for the basic data, including the 990s.

The IRS' Publication 78 is pathetic in comparison, both in terms of searching capabilities and information provided.

http://apps.irs.gov/app/pub78

For example, when I search on Guidestar for We the People Foundation, I get the following:
WE THE PEOPLE FOUNDATION FOR CONSTITUTIONAL EDUCATION INC
2458 Ridge Road
Queensbury, NY 12804

GENERAL INFORMATION

Who We Are
Review of State & National Constitutional Issues

This organization is a 501(c)(3) Public Charity.
This organization is required to file an IRS Form 990 or 990-EZ.
Contributions are deductible, as provided by law.

NTEE Code
B90—Educational Services and Schools - Other

Ruling Year: 1999

MISSION AND PROGRAMS
Mission
Review of State & National Constitutional Issues

Programs
Local tax base issues with respect to contract for waste plant reverting to contractor rather municipality
Symposiums in Washington DC regarding constitutionality of 16th Amendment, as well as meetings at the National Press Club presenting issues regarding the amendment
Dissemination of information on issues pending and related website maintenance

FORM 990 AND EDOCS
Forms 990 from the IRS:
2004 Form 990
2003 Form 990
2002 Form 990
2001 Form 990
2000 Form 990
When I seach the IRS data base, I get:
We the People Foundation for Constitutional Education Inc. Queensbury NY USA --
A public charity with a 50% deductibility limitation.
wvfoos

Post by wvfoos »

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Like I said, that's a great site, exactly what I was looking for thanks Demo.

I registered, but for some reason I didn't scroll down the page far enough to access the 990's. I clicked on "board of directors" or something over on the right side, and that popped up as a pay service. I figured that was just the 990 info.

Although, after poking around on there some more, it appears if you want old 990's, you have to pay for those.