Naked Survivor guy whines about Scooter

A collection of old posts from all forums. No new threads or new posts in old threads allowed. For archive use only.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Naked Survivor guy whines about Scooter

Post by Demosthenes »

'Survivor' Winner Reacts to Scooter Libby's Sentence Commutation

July 9, 2007

Last January, first Survivor winner Richard Hatch was sentenced to 51 months in prison for tax evasion. However, the 45-year-old Newport, Rhode Island-native has continued to profess innocence over the said legal matter.

His feelings about being wrongfully imprisoned have compelled Hatch to speak up about Scooter Libby’s recent commutation. The former presidential assistant, who was found guilty of lying to authorities and obstructing investigation, was supposed to spend 2½ years in prison. However, due to the President’s commutation, Libby will now only be subject to two years probation and the $250,000 fine.

"What a country! Excessive sentence! Where's my pardon/commutation?” Richard Hatch wrote to The Boston Globe last Tuesday.

"If Bush believes the judge in Scooter Libby's case sentenced Libby too harshly, perhaps Bush should closely examine what bigoted and otherwise biased judges are doing every day all over the country. Our system, with its judges (simple, flawed human beings) appointed for life and virtually without oversight, is destroying lives. I suggest we begin in Rhode Island with Ernest Torres."

The Boston Globe’s pop culture reporter and critic Joanna Weiss said that Hatch has been corresponding with her via email, mostly about his disdain over the country’s legal system and the Bush administration. In one email, Hatch apparently compared himself to a Salem witch and explained why he believes he was unfairly placed in prison.

"So far, nobody has expressed much interest in most of what has occurred or is true in my case," Richard Hatch wrote to Weiss. "I am absolutely innocent and I find such apathy personally sad but nonetheless fascinating."

In defending himself against the charges of tax evasion, Hatch said that he did not pay the taxes on his $1 million dollar cash prize because of a deal he made with CBS. According to Hatch, the network agreed to pay the taxes for him in exchange for his silence about a cheating incident on Survivor 1, wherein production crew provided food to other castaways.

In May, Hatch’s lawyers filed an appeal to the First Circuit Court of Appeals, but the Survivor winner is still awaiting the results.
Joe Dirt
Anonymous Administerial Adviser

Post by Joe Dirt »

I guess Mr. Hatch needs some friends in higher places.

Time writes:
MARC RICH, 2001
In 1983, financier Rich was indicted for evading more than $48 million in taxes, and charged with 51 counts of tax fraud, as well as running illegal oil deals with Iran during the 1979-1980 hostage crisis. During his last week in office, President Bill Clinton pardoned Rich, who had fled the U.S. during his prosecution and was residing in Switzerland. Clinton's eleventh-hour move, along with pardons of his half-brother, Roger, and former business partner Susan McDougal, outraged Republicans and Democrats alike. The Rich pardon sparked an investigation into whether it was bought by the hefty donations Rich's ex-wife, Denise, had given to the Clintons and the Democrats. In the end, investigators did not find enough evidence to indict Clinton.
Weathervane

Post by Weathervane »

CaptainKickback wrote:
Scooter Libby comes off as a decent affable fellow
So did Ted Bundy.
Disilloosianed

Post by Disilloosianed »

Darn it....I opened this thinking Richard Hatch had hooked up with Van Pelt.