hey--they got one!

A forum for posting "You have one the lottery" letters, and for asking whether the e-mail that your received is real (it isn't). Real lotteries do NOT advise winners by e-mail, and they do NOT require the payment of any fees up-front.
Cathulhu
Order of the Quatloos, Brevet First Class

hey--they got one!

Post by Cathulhu »

I occasionally check out the TIGTA website, although they don't update it often enough. Take a look at the January 15 case. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/oi_highlights.shtml

We've seen enough of these scams that it's nice to see one get caught.
Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to. T. Pratchett
Always be a moving target. L.M. Bujold
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Re: hey--they got one!

Post by Burnaby49 »

Myers was sentenced to 78 months.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
The Observer
Further Moderator

Re: hey--they got one!

Post by The Observer »

I think this was the story that Cat was referring to since this thread is about Internet scams:
New York Man Sentenced for Internet Fraud Scheme

On December 19, 2011, in New York, Godspower Egbufor was sentenced to 108 months of imprisonment and five years of supervised release for Aggravated Identity Theft and Conspiracy to Commit Wire Fraud. In addition, he was ordered to pay $1,741,822 restitution and a $200 assessment.

According to court documents, Egbufor, together with co-conspirators, operated a scheme to defraud numerous individuals through Internet solicitations whereby they stole more than $1 million dollars and the identities of those individuals.

Egbufor and his co-conspirators obtained massive e-mail distribution lists containing thousands of e-mail addresses and sent unsolicited e-mails falsely informing targeted victims that they had won a lottery or had inherited money from a distant relative. Follow-up e-mails instructed the victims that they were required to provide personal and bank account information in order to receive their lottery winnings or inheritance. Using this information, Egbufor and his co-conspirators stole the identities of some of the victims to facilitate their scheme.

Subsequent e-mails to victims falsely indicated that a Government or a quasi-governmental agency, such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or the United Nations, prevented the money due to them from being awarded because advance payment of taxes and other fees was required. The e-mails solicited the victims to wire the money necessary to pay the taxes and other fees to designated bank accounts controlled by Egbufor and his co-conspirators.

When victims indicated that they lacked the money to pay the taxes and fees, they were informed that Egbufor and his co-conspirators would loan them the money. Victims were convinced to open online bank accounts and provide the necessary login information. Using this information, Egbufor and his co-conspirators stole money from various bank accounts, transferred that stolen money to the victims' accounts, and instructed the victims to wire the money to foreign bank accounts controlled by Egbufor and his co-conspirators as payment for taxes and other fees on their purported lottery winnings or inheritance. The victims never received any lottery winnings, inheritance, or other money in connection with the scheme.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff