Snipes, Wesley

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Re: Snipes, Wesley

Post by jcolvin2 »

The Wesley Snipes Collection Due Process case will be going to trial:

https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/InternetOrde ... sID=254337
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

Trial is set for Monday, May 14, 2018. The parties have filed various pre-trial motions. The Tax Court issued orders on May 4, 2018 with respect to some of the motions:

Petitioner ordered to respond to Commissioner's MiL:
https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/ ... ID=7351232

Petitioner motion that first request for admission be deemed admitted is denied
https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/ ... ID=7351697

Petitioner's first supplement to motion to show cause under 91(f) is stricken
https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcDockInq/ ... ID=7351699
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

I had forgotten about this case.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by noblepa »

Famspear wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 pm I had forgotten about this case.
I hadn't forgotten about it, but I had lost track.

He was convicted of tax evasion and spent a couple of years in prison, didn't he?

Is he appealing that conviction, or has he not learned his lesson and is still trying to commit tax evasion? Is this a new case?
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Must want to spend more money he may not have on lawyers. I can't remember if this broke him or not, but it sounds like he's working on it.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

noblepa wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:56 pmHe was convicted of tax evasion and spent a couple of years in prison, didn't he?
[quibble]He was convicted of three misdemeanor counts (failure to file) and spent a couple of years in prison.[/quibble]
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

noblepa wrote:Is he appealing that conviction, or has he not learned his lesson and is still trying to commit tax evasion? Is this a new case?
This is the (civil) Tax Court case to determine how much tax and penalties he owes for the years which were the subject of his criminal case.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

Dr. Caligari wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 9:55 pm
noblepa wrote:Is he appealing that conviction, or has he not learned his lesson and is still trying to commit tax evasion? Is this a new case?
This is the (civil) Tax Court case to determine how much tax and penalties he owes for the years which were the subject of his criminal case.
Actually, I do not believe the amount of civil tax owed is at issue. The case involves an appeal of a collection due process hearing. I believe that Mr. Snipes offered to settle his liability via an offer in compromise, but the IRS settlement officer believed that Mr. Snipes could pay substantially more than was offered. The Tax Court will determine whether the settlement officer abused his or her discretion in arriving at this conclusion.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

And today, in TCM 2018-184, decision was entered for respondent.
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
jcolvin2

Post by jcolvin2 »

LaVidaRoja wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm And today, in TCM 2018-184, decision was entered for respondent.
https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/UstcInOp/Opi ... x?ID=11806

Snipes apparently argued that his assets were improperly taken/dissipated by a financial advisor named W. Johnson.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The man needs to find some more movie roles. Gotta keep the cash comin' in.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

From what I've read he's so disruptive and demanding on set that he's no longer being hired.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
notorial dissent

It may be a long wait. As Burnaby says, he is apparently NOT a hot commodity.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Maybe a stretch of absence of meaningful roles, and the likelihood of becoming the latest star in the "where are they now?" articles and columns, might give Snipes a dose of humility.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

He's apparently quite full of himself and has only gotten worse with age from reports, and I think he has a bad case of thinking he is smarter than he really is. The other issue is an appreciable lack of talent which I think is the bigger handicap.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 am He's apparently quite full of himself and has only gotten worse with age from reports, and I think he has a bad case of thinking he is smarter than he really is. The other issue is an appreciable lack of talent which I think is the bigger handicap.
Lack of talent is not necessarily an impediment to success in Hollywood, as long as you have good box office draw. Snipes had that, back when he was doing action films like Blade, but he seems to have lost it recently.
wserra

Post by wserra »

notorial dissent wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 amThe other issue is an appreciable lack of talent
Jungle Fever? Mo' Better Blues? He was fine in them, in roles that required a good deal more than the cartoonish Blade stuff.

'Course, it could have been Spike's direction.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:37 pm
notorial dissent wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 amThe other issue is an appreciable lack of talent
Jungle Fever? Mo' Better Blues? He was fine in them, in roles that required a good deal more than the cartoonish Blade stuff.

'Course, it could have been Spike's direction.
That reminds me; I bought a DVD copy of Mo' Better Blues years ago -- started watching it, and haven't finished it. I just checked, and it's right there in the cabinet where it should be. (My wife recently re-organized all the CDs and DVDs, and it was easy to find.)

For some reason, I have lots of movies (DVDs) I've bought over the years, that I haven't watched.

EDIT: Speaking of Spike Lee, I saw Do the Right Thing a long time ago, and I liked it.

I also want to check out She's Gotta Have It. I saw a few short clips from that years ago, I think in the PBS Television series American Cinema.