Olenicoff, Igor

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Demosthenes
Grand Exalted Keeper of Esoterica

Post by Demosthenes »

6 months in prison for owing $52 million.

Grrrr. :twisted:
Demo.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Demosthenes wrote:6 months in prison for owing $52 million.
That's what his lawyer says. There are a couple of things about the story that don't make a lot of sense.

First of all (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), I don't know of an applicable federal crime that carries three years. Federal felonies (including tax evasion, 26 USC 7201) generally carry at least five years, and misdemeanors (such as failure to file) carry one. Moreover, the Guidelines (from the Tax Table, sec. 2T4.1) are far more than six months.

I guess we'll see.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

His deal was to plead guilty to a single count of making a false statement on his return (he answered the foreign account question with a "no".)
§ 7206. Fraud and false statements
Any person who—
(1) Declaration under penalties of perjury
Willfully makes and subscribes any return, statement, or other document, which contains or is verified by a written declaration that it is made under the penalties of perjury, and which he does not believe to be true and correct as to every material matter;
shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $100,000 ($500,000 in the case of a corporation), or imprisoned not more than 3 years, or both, together with the costs of prosecution.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

True. The legal firm was Hochman Salkin Rettig Toscher and Perez and you don't get much more competent or experienced than that.
Demo.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Demo.
The Operative
Fourth Shogun of Quatloosia

Post by The Operative »

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Sorry guys. In case you haven't guessed, I can't type.
Demo.
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

Demosthenes wrote:Sorry guys. In case you haven't guessed, I can't type.
Did your cat type the above two sentences for you? Cause if it did, I'm impressed.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

Cats don't type. Cats dictate.
Demo.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Demosthenes wrote:True. The legal firm was Hochman Salkin Rettig Toscher and Perez and you don't get much more competent or experienced than that.
Not to mention that if this is the same Ed Robbins, he was in the US attorney's office in Los Angeles.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Not to mention that if this is the same Ed Robbins, he was in the US attorney's office in Los Angeles.
The same one.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
jcolvin2
Grand Master Consul of Quatloosia

Post by jcolvin2 »

Demosthenes wrote:
True. The legal firm was Hochman Salkin Rettig Toscher and Perez and you don't get much more competent or experienced than that.
The Bush nominee to head the DOJ Tax Division is Nathan Hochman, son of the illustrious Bruce Hochman, and a member of Hochman Salkin Rettig Toscher & Perez. His confrimation hearing before the Senate was yesterday.