Phil Hart

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Re: Phil Hart

Post by Famspear »

More media reporting on Phil Hart and his Chapter 13 bankruptcy (excerpts):
When the state of Idaho made out its paychecks for tax-protesting state Rep. Phil Hart twice a month for the past seven years, the money didn’t go to Hart - it went straight to the IRS.

That’s what Hart reported in documents filed this week in his bankruptcy case, in which he lists more than $600,000 in debt, most of it to the IRS and the Idaho State Tax Commission.

[ . . . . ]

Bruce Newcomb, who was Idaho’s longest-serving House speaker, said he was troubled by the revelation. “Let’s put it this way: I find it very odd,” he said. “A person has a right to protest their taxes. But this has been one of the more extreme endeavors I’ve ever seen in my life’s experience.”

Newcomb said he worries about the impact of the case on the institution of the House. “The general public is suspicious of politicians in general, and when something like this comes along, it only serves to confirm what some people think,” he said.
from Betsy Z. Russell, "Hart says IRS garnished all his legislative pay," The Spokesman-Review, Spokane, Washington, June 13, 2012, at:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/j ... ative-pay/

The comments from readers posted at the bottom of the article are interesting.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

Famspear wrote:"Hart says IRS garnished all his legislative pay"
ALL? Well, I suppose that could be true, if the IRS determined he had other income sources. Given that Hart's legislative pay was only $16k/year, I suspect that was the case.

Someone under IRS wage garnishment is allowed to retain enough money to meet allowable living expenses. See the IRS Collection Financial Standards.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Kestrel wrote:
Famspear wrote:"Hart says IRS garnished all his legislative pay"
ALL? Well, I suppose that could be true, if the IRS determined he had other income sources. Given that Hart's legislative pay was only $16k/year, I suspect that was the case.

Someone under IRS wage garnishment is allowed to retain enough money to meet allowable living expenses. See the IRS Collection Financial Standards.
OK, I haven't checked into all the details on this but presumably the IRS has raised some sort of assessment on Phil Hart in order to do this? It must be getting to the limits and extremes of the law to garnish all of someone's salary without some information about other sources of income. It's obviously a rare situation but it is situations like this that tend to test the details of legislation.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

All tax payers who owe should hope for such a deal
(The sentiment seem to be "yeah, riiiigggghhhhttt) :lol:

http://mynorthwest.com/174/701906/Idaho ... K-tax-debt :lol:
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

obadiah wrote:All tax payers who owe should hope for such a deal
(The sentiment seem to be "yeah, riiiigggghhhhttt) :lol:

http://mynorthwest.com/174/701906/Idaho ... K-tax-debt :lol:
The last line is precious:
Hart has written a book about why he thinks the U.S. income tax is unconstitutional.
He could also write a book about how pigs can fly, and it would help him just as much.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Or at the very least as relevant.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/a ... te]Federal prosecutors are calling for Idaho Rep. Phil Hart’s proposed bankruptcy plan to be dismissed, saying it’s improper, it wouldn’t appropriately satisfy his half-million-dollar federal income tax debt, and it relies on an income source that will disappear at the end of this year: His legislative salary.

Hart, a tax protester and fourth-term state lawmaker, was defeated in the May GOP primary, so his legislative salary will end in December.

“Hart’s plan is not feasible,” wrote U.S. Department of Justice attorney Adam Strait in court documents. Hart had proposed paying $200 a month for five years - a total of $12,000 - to get his entire debt of more than $600,000 discharged.[/quote]
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Well, isn't one fantasy, his tax beliefs, just as good as another, his method of repayment, oughta work??????? Guess the mean old Feds just don't wanna play for some reason.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear

Re: Phil Hart - Ch 13 bankr. dismissed

Post by Famspear »

PHIL HART'S CHAPTER 13 BANKRUPTCY IS DISMISSED

On August 15, 2012, Phil Hart moved for a voluntary dismissal of his Chapter 13 bankruptcy case.

On August 27, 2012, the Court issued an order dismissing the case. Docket entry 38, In re Philip Lewis Hart, case no. 12-20648-TLM, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Idaho (Coeur d'Alene Div.).

This came about after the United States filed the objection (noted earlier in this thread) to the proposed confirmation of Hart's Chapter 13 plan. The objection was filed on August 9th, and here are some excerpts:
The Plan should not be confirmed for four reasons. First, Hart’s refusal to answer questions at the § 341(a) meeting of creditors makes it impossible to evaluate whether the value of the distributions he proposes in his Plan exceed the amount that would be paid if his estate were to be liquidated. Second, Hart’s proposed Plan fails to make adequate provision for the United States’ undisputed priority tax debts. Third, Hart’s proposed Plan is not feasible because it relies on an income source that Hart admits will disappear at the end of the year. Finally, Hart is ineligible for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy; he has too much unsecured debt. If the United States’ Claim is treated as secured, the Plan still should not be confirmed because it does not properly account for the United States’ secured claim.

[ . . . ]

Creditors cannot reasonably determine whether these requirements are met: Hart refused to answer numerous questions about his assets during the § 341(a) meeting.

Many of the questions Hart refused to answer pertain directly to assets he arguably owns. For instance, Hart was affiliated with a business called Alpine Northwest III Trust. (See 341(a) Hrg. Tr. 12:12-22, Ex. A to Strait Decl.; Certificate of Assumed Business Name, Ex. B to Strait Decl.) However, he refused to say whether he owned any portion of that business (341(a) Hrg. Tr. at 15:1-5, Ex. A to Strait Decl.) or whether it had any assets when it went out of business (id. at 16:23-17:10). Similarly, Hart admitted that he resided at the East Sarah Loop address listed on his bankruptcy petition. (See id. at 29:22-24; Petition 3 (ECF No. 1).) However, Hart refused to answer who owns that real property; when he started to reside there; who made the improvements on the property; and even whether his signature appeared on a deed purportedly transferring the property. (See 341(a) Hrg. Tr. 29:25-34:24, Ex. A to Strait Decl.)

It is particularly appropriate to permit further inquiry into these assets given that Hart admitted to using a holding company for an Audi. The entity called “White Snow LLC,” listed by Hart on his bankruptcy schedules (Sched. B, Schedules at 4 (ECF No. 19)), has never done any business or filed any tax returns. (341(a) Hrg. Tr. 22:22-23:21.) Nevertheless, it owns a car of which Hart is virtually the exclusive driver. (Id. at 23:22-24:18.) The creditors in this case should, at minimum, have additional time to seek a Rule 2004 examination of Hart in order to make a full inquiry into his assets.

[ . . . ]

The Court should also consider the reason Hart declined to answer questions. For certain questions, Hart refused to answer unless another attorney – not his bankruptcy attorney – was present.

[ . . .]

The Court should not confirm Hart’s Chapter 13 Plan because it fails to make adequate provision for paying the United States’ priority income tax debts. A chapter 13 plan must provide for the full cash payment of priority claims. 11 U.S.C. § 1322(a)(2). Income taxes are entitled to priority if the return was due, including extensions, less than three years prior to the date the petition was filed. Id. § 507(a)(8). Hart filed his petition on May 29, 2012. (Petition (ECF No. 1).) Therefore, income taxes shown on any return due after May 29, 2009, are entitled to priority status.

[ . . .]

Hart owes approximately $564,000 in federal income taxes, interest, and penalties. (U.S. Proof of Claim (Claim No. 3-1).) Hart and the United States take different positions as to whether the debt is secured. The real property where Hart resides is nominally held by an entity called the Sarah Elizabeth Hart Trust. The United States contends that the trust is a sham entity acting as Hart’s nominee and that Hart’s transfer of the property to the trust was fraudulent as to the United States. Accordingly, the United States takes the position that its entire claim is secured, at least until the value of the property is shown to be less than the amount of the claim. Hart has listed the United States’ claim as unsecured.

Regardless of whether the United States’ claim is secured or unsecured, the Court should not confirm Hart’s Chapter 13 Plan. If the United States’ claim is properly treated as unsecured at this point, Hart is not eligible for Chapter 13 relief. The limit for unsecured debt in a Chapter 13 is $360,475. 11 U.S.C. § 109(e). When calculating limits on Chapter 13 eligibility, it is irrelevant if the debtor disputes liability as long as the amount of the liability is readily ascertainable. See In re Slack, 187 F.3d 1070, 1074-75 (9th Cir. 1999). Hart is well above the unsecured debt limit.
----From UNITED STATES’ OBJECTION TO CONFIRMATION OF DEBTOR’S PROPOSED CHAPTER 13 PLAN, docket entry 34, Aug. 9, 2012 In re Philip Lewis Hart, case no. 12-20648-TLM, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Idaho (Coeur d'Alene Div.) (footnotes omitted).
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

From the Spokane, Washington Spokesman-Review, on Sept. 25, 2012 (excerpts):
BOISE – Federal authorities are gearing back up their foreclosure lawsuit against tax-protesting Idaho state Rep. Phil Hart, now that Hart has voluntarily dismissed his bankruptcy filing – which had placed an automatic stay on the foreclosure case.

U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge has lifted the stay in the case that goes after Hart’s log home in Athol, but at Hart’s request, agreed to a delay until mid-November for the first discovery deadlines in the case, due to the unexpected illness of Hart’s Kentucky attorney....

[ . . . ]

Hart maintains that he doesn’t own the Athol home, though he built it and lives there; it’s owned by a trust in his daughter’s name. Federal authorities, in court filings, called the transfer of the home to the trust a “fraudulent” transaction with a “sham entity.”

It’s the same home for which Hart illegally cut logs from state school endowment land in 1996, maintaining that as a citizen, he had a right to take the logs for free; after repeated, unsuccessful appeals, he never fully satisfied a court judgment over the timber theft. An expired statute of limitations prevented the state from pressing collection efforts.....
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/s ... inst-hart/
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Idah ... 984774.php
State lawmaker and tax protester Rep. Phil Hart has filed for bankruptcy — again — prompting a federal tax foreclosure case against him to be put on hold.

Hart filed for bankruptcy in Idaho's U.S. District Court on Wednesday, almost two months after he voluntarily dropped his previous bankruptcy case.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Thank you, Phil, for keeping us entertained!

Hart's second bankruptcy:

Chapter 13 petition filed on October 24, 2012.

Case no. 12-21220-TLM
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Idaho (Coeur d'Alene Division)
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Over/ under on this being dismissed as an abusive filing?
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

And, since this is a second case within a year, the stay as to the IRS proceeding lasts only 30 days unless extended. The case is presumptively in bad faith (and the stay will not be extended) as to the IRS, because the stay had been terminated as to the Service, I think (without going back through the whole mess).
"My Health is Better in November."
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Prof wrote:And, since this is a second case within a year, the stay as to the IRS proceeding lasts only 30 days unless extended. The case is presumptively in bad faith (and the stay will not be extended) as to the IRS, because the stay had been terminated as to the Service, I think (without going back through the whole mess).
You wish.

From the SF Chronicle article link provided by Lambkin:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Idah ... 984774.php
SF Chronicle wrote:But Friday, U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge decided against [limiting the stay], instead putting the foreclosure case on hold until the bankruptcy is settled or the bankruptcy judge decides the foreclosure can move forward...
Bartender, pour me a glass of whatever that judge is drinking. I need something to dissolve the baked-on grease in my oven.
SF Chronicle wrote:Hart voluntarily dismissed his previous bankruptcy case in August, after agreeing with the bankruptcy trustee that he was ineligible for Chapter 13 because his total amount of unsecured debt exceeded the limits under the bankruptcy code...

But his latest bankruptcy filing is also under the Chapter 13 code, and his initial court documents indicate his circumstances are much the same as when he filed the first time...
Same shit, different day. Unless you're playing the game of "when is a tax debt not a debt?
SF Chronicle wrote:Hart indicated that he would try to convert the case to another type of bankruptcy or dismiss it...
A decade ago you could almost admire the arrogance of the "unlocked back door" stunt. Sorry, chump. That loophole was closed a long time ago.

Of course, considering the reliability of the tax advice he'd been swallowing, it's not surprising that bankruptcy fairy tales are part of his library.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
Prof

Post by Prof »

Still, the stay expires in 30 days unless the court orders an extension, which the bankruptcy judge almost certainly will not do -- and conversion does not get the job done; the court still needs to extend the stay. (The stay from the previous case -- even tho retained in the earlier case -- expired when the previous case was dismissed.)

Conversion does not extend the stay; conversion to chapter 7 won't do him any good, for the trustee in the 7 will not care to save the house from the IRS. He's not a municipality -- so no chapter 9; he probably doesn't qualify as a family farmer, so no chapter 12.

That just leaves chapter 11. Still no stay, and he faces a much more complicated statute.
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Prof wrote:Still, the stay expires in 30 days unless the court orders an extension, which the bankruptcy judge almost certainly will not do -- and conversion does not get the job done; the court still needs to extend the stay. (The stay from the previous case -- even tho retained in the earlier case -- expired when the previous case was dismissed.)

Conversion does not extend the stay; conversion to chapter 7 won't do him any good, for the trustee in the 7 will not care to save the house from the IRS. He's not a municipality -- so no chapter 9; he probably doesn't qualify as a family farmer, so no chapter 12.

That just leaves chapter 11. Still no stay, and he faces a much more complicated statute.
Yet according to that SF Chronicle article, extending the stay on the IRS foreclosure action is exactly what the judge did. Why?

And I've really got to wonder why Hart is re-filing under Chapter 13 when he knows he's not eligible. Intentionally misfiling a case makes no sense. Is it because there's some reason why he can't file Chapter 7, but is trying a roundabout way to get there anyway? Sorry, two wrongs don't make a right, and two instances of "ineligible" don't cancel each other out either.

Did Phil Hart file this bankruptcy pro se? I can't imagine an attorney doing this.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

Kestrel wrote:....Did Phil Hart file this bankruptcy pro se? I can't imagine an attorney doing this.
His attorney in the first case was a Michael McFarland in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

In the second case, his attorney is Brant L. Stevens of Spokane, Washington.
Prof

Post by Prof »

As to the District Court "stay," there is pending in the USDCt U.S. v. Hart, 2:11-cv-00513, filed 10/27/11. That case was stayed by the first bankruptcy, per a separate order of the USDJ; the stay was lifted by the USDJ as to his stay and his case. Five or six weeks later, bankruptcy # 2 was filed. The USDJ again ordered his case -- the USDCt case -- stayed, pending action by the Bankruptcy Judge to lift the bankruptcy stay or to allow the USDCt case to proceed. The USDJ seems to have issued both stay orders out respect for Bankruptcy Code sec. 362 and out of courtesy to both the Bankruptcy Court. While the stay under sec. 362 applies to all actions by creditors, it does not stay other courts, state or federal, from ordering the parties to proceed. Also, I doubt that the Bankruptcy Court is going to try to enforce the stay against the IRS if the IRS is ordered to go to trial by the USDCt.

As noted in a prior posting, the stay in the new case expires 30 days after the 2nd case is filed unless extended by the Bankruptcy Court. So, unless Hart can convince the Bankruptcy Judge to extend the stay, there will be no stay in either the Bankruptcy Case or the USDCt case.
Kestrel

Post by Kestrel »

Oh now I get it. The SF Chronicle article was sloppily written, in such a way that it appeared Judge Lodge was the Bankruptcy Court judge. He's not.
Hart filed for bankruptcy in Idaho's U.S. District Court... [ummm, wrong... since when have the District Courts become the proper venue for bankruptcy cases? That's why we have Bankruptcy Courts.]

U.S. District Judge Edward Lodge decided against that [lifting the stay], instead putting the foreclosure case on hold... [District Court... District Judge... the article made unconnected things appear connected. Just your everyday sloppy reporting.]
I retract my comment about Judge Lodge. Putting a hold on a District Court case pending the actions on a case filed in Bankruptcy Court is perfectly proper.