Phil Hart

The purpose of this board is to track the status of activity, cases, and ultimately the incarceration or fines against TP promoters and certain high-profile TPs.
Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Re: Phil Hart

Post by Lambkin »

From Jan 6
http://www.cdapress.com/news/political/ ... ba378.html
A state legislator from Athol filed an answer on Thursday to the federal government's lawsuit against him seeking to collect more than half a million dollars in back-income taxes.

Rep. Phil Hart claims in the document that the IRS is wrong in asking him to pay eight years worth of business deductions, which he believes have been denied because of his book challenging the legality of the income tax.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

Hart's answer is pretty unremarkable except for affirmative defense 5:
The claims of the United States is barred as the 90 day letter (Notice of Deficiency) was served in violation of Idaho Constitutional Article III, Section 7 which bars Senators and representatives of Idaho from being served during the session of the legislature.
It appears that Hart is claiming that he is immune from service of federal process as a state legislator, so long as the service is attempted during a legislative session. Sorry, Phil, federal law determines the propriety of federal process, not state law. And, whatever Idaho law, federal law provides legislative immunity only for legislative acts. Bogan v. Scott-Harris, 523 U.S. 44 (1998). Is it your position, Phil, that not paying income taxes is somehow a legislative act?

Yet another cheat who believes himself sufficiently special so as to be immune to things the rest of us are not.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Phil seems to have a number of delusions, this just be the most current of them.

I rather suspect that he will still be screaming that they can't do this to me as they eventually haul him off to jail be it state of federal as I think it is only a question of which one gets to him first.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

Apropos Phil Hart delusions
http://stateimpact.npr.org/idaho/2012/0 ... ency-bill/
Rep. Phil Hart (R– Athol) wants gold and silver coin to be an alternative to paper money, formally known as Federal Reserve Notes. Hart, who is currently being sued by the federal government for unpaid taxes, wants gold and silver currency exempt from tax. He’s titled the bill the ‘Idaho Constitutional Money Act of 2012′.
notorial dissent

Something that came to mind as I read through Hart's bill, I § 10 - 1, says that “No State shall... ... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts”, but a state does not have the authority to say what is or is not legal tender, and since they also cannot “...coin Money...”, then where are they going to get this gold and silver to use in place of those awful FRN’s? Since Federal law specifically excludes foreign coin from legal tender status, that would appear to only leave the bullion coins being produced currently by the mint as legal tender. Otherwise, I can just see people having to lug their gold and silver dust around to take a chance on the fairness of the merchants they are dealing with as being really good for Idaho’s economy.

I can’t quite decide if section 63-4604 is actually an attempt by Hart to get away with the dodge that has been tried before, and failed, of claiming that the bullion coins are only worth the face value or was just poorly written.

I doubt that Idaho will waste much more time with this than they have previous versions, but on the off chance they that they did enact it, I doubt seriously it would withstand a federal challenge as I don’t think they have the capability of carrying it in to effect in this day and age.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent

So numbnutz wants to "let Idahoans use gold and silver coins at face value", bearing in mind that face value of any bullion coin I am aware of is, to put it generously, considerably less than their actual value, so does this means he is expecting people to use a $1 coin, that is worth what $40 now, to purchase a paper????? I don't think so, of course I could be overestimating Hart's intelligence, but something here so doesn't smell right, and certainly doesn't make any sense at all.
ashlynne39
Illuminated Legate of Illustrious Legs

Post by ashlynne39 »

Apparently Utah has passed a bill about using gold and silver coins and Colorado has a bill under consideration. So it looks like Hart and Idaho aren't the only nuts on this issue. Interesting.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/5354 ... s.html.csp
notorial dissent

That the sponsor is a Republican and from El Paso county explains a lot of it if you know Colorado politics, and oddly enough I don't actually find a bill when I go through the pending files for the Co State Senate, so not sure what the actual status is. Mind you, this is also the state that passed a beef defamation bill several years ago for which it got roundly laughed at and ultimately had to repeal it.
notorial dissent

I finally did find the bill in question, SB137, buried under a somewhat convoluted name just for clarity's sake apparently.

Lambert seems to be hung up on the phrase "constitutionally based money" but would seem to be a little unclear as to just what that is.

The major part of the bill seems to be aimed at making something that is already legal by and under Federal statute, and outside of the state's jurisdiction by the way, legal.

So, in other words, this fine upstanding representative of Republican conservativism in government is willing to waste time and a great deal of money on a bill that is as pointless as it is useless.
notorial dissent

And just when you thought it was safe to read the papers again this comes along to add to the current silly season, Wyoming has now thrown their hat, er Stetson, in the whackadoo ring by offering House Bill 85 sponsored by Rep Riverton David Miller to create a “doomsday bill” taskforce to basically see what kind of cockamamie ideas they can come up with, on the order of “creat(ing)e its own military and state wide currency” and “implementing a military draft, raise(ing) a standing army, or acquire an aircraft carrier”, although the last may have been said in jest-scarily it wasn’t, on the other hand we are talking about Wyoming.

The article below details it in all its glory.

http://trib.com/news/state-and-regional ... 553f-85e9-
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

notorial dissent wrote:“creat(ing)e its own military and state wide currency” and “implementing a military draft, raise(ing) a standing army, or acquire an aircraft carrier”, although the last may have been said in jest-scarily it wasn’t, on the other hand we are talking about Wyoming.
It'll take one hell of a nuclear war to give Wyoming a saltwater port. Of course if that happens no one will care what bills the legislature did or didn't pass.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
notorial dissent

FWIW, the Colorado gold bill died an essentially unmourned death in committee the other day, as cooler, or maybe saner heads pulled the plug on it and sent it on to the dustbin.
Lambkin

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2012/m ... ity-claim/
The U.S. Justice Department wants a federal judge to toss out Idaho Rep. Phil Hart’s arguments that his status as a state legislator should bar IRS claims against him for back taxes.

Federal authorities are seeking to foreclose on Hart’s Athol, Idaho, log home for $550,000 in back federal income taxes, penalties and interest. In fighting the move, Hart claimed that because a notice of deficiency was sent to him while the Legislature was in session, the whole case should be tossed out.
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Article VI, anyone?
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Federal authorities are seeking to foreclose on Hart’s Athol, Idaho, log home for $550,000 in back federal income taxes, penalties and interest. In fighting the move, Hart claimed that because a notice of deficiency was sent to him while the Legislature was in session, the whole case should be tossed out.
Sounds like a garbled, tax-protester version of the "speech and debate clause" (Article I, section 6), except that:

1. It doesn't apply to state legislators;
2. The government is not trying to arrest anyone; and
3. The government is not questioning anyone about any speech or debate.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent

I think what numbnutz is actually basing his fantasy on is Idaho constitution, Art III Sec 7, although like everything else to date, he has misread and misconstrued that as well.
notorial dissent

Well, we pretty well knew that already, or at least his own fantasy land to say the very least.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

notorial dissent wrote:I think what numbnutz is actually basing his fantasy on is Idaho constitution, Art III Sec 7, although like everything else to date, he has misread and misconstrued that as well.
Which makes sense, because it has a clause not found in the US Constitution:
SECTION 7. PRIVILEGE FROM ARREST. Senators and representatives in all cases, except for treason, felony, or breach of the peace, shall be privileged from arrest during the session of the legislature, and in going to and returning from the same, and shall not be liable to any civil process during the session of the legislature, nor during the ten days next before the commencement thereof; nor shall a member, for words uttered in debate in either house, be questioned in any other place.
So it's the supremacy clause that Hart doesn't understand, and not the speech and debate clause.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
notorial dissent

Well, that among other things, or at least that is my take on the whole thing. I seem to remember that he was trying to use this one something else as well, but don't remember what now. I think he will be quite upset when it turns in to an epic fail as it will ultimately.