Call me Chuck (Charles D. Koss)

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Lambkin
Warder of the Quatloosian Gibbet

Call me Chuck (Charles D. Koss)

Post by Lambkin »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/14/40 ... quote]With his fraud trial beginning next week, Charles Koss apparently thought it was a swell idea to file IRS paperwork stating that his judge also was his financial representative. [/quote]
A so-called “sovereign citizen” who has elected to represent himself in his criminal case, Koss is charged with mail fraud, stealing federal disability benefits and trying to pass an illegal financial instrument.
“Mr. Koss,” Wimes said near the end of the hearing.

“Your honor,” Koss interrupted, “unless you have a contract with me that allows you to call me Mr. Koss, I’d appreciate it if you called me Chuck.”
LaVidaRoja
Basileus Quatlooseus

Re: Call me Chuck

Post by LaVidaRoja »

Sounds like Mr. Koss may be "Chucked" into the slammer for a good stretch
Little boys who tell lies grow up to be weathermen.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

case details:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – David M. Ketchmark, Acting United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, announced that an Independence, Mo., man who was involved in the sovereign citizen movement was indicted by a federal grand jury today on charges related to a $212,000 Social Security fraud scheme.

Charles Daniel Koss, 62, of Independence, was charged in a five-count indictment returned by a federal grand jury in Kansas City, Mo.

Today’s indictment alleges that Koss received Social Security disability insurance payments to which he was not entitled between September 1994 and January 2010. According to the indictment, Koss concealed his work activity as a mortgage broker from the Social Security Administration. By willfully failing to notify SSA of the income derived from his work activity, Koss allegedly defrauded the government of approximately $212,768.

The indictment also alleges that Koss received a $250 economic stimulus payment for which he was not entitled. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (“Recovery Act”) of 2009 provided one-time payments of $250 to individuals who were or are found to be eligible for Title II Disability Insurance Benefits. Koss was not entitled to receive this $250 payment, the indictment alleges, because he was not entitled to receive Social Security disability payments.

Koss began receiving Title II Social Security Disability Insurance Benefits in 1987 for myoneural disorder and hypertension. In 1994, the indictment says, Koss began operating Embassy Mortgage, a real estate business, with his wife in Blue Springs, Mo. Koss was working as a loan officer and office manager for the business.

According to the indictment, when Koss learned that he would have to repay the government, he created a false negotiable instrument – which he called a “Registered Private Money Order” – purporting to draw on a bogus trust account held by the U.S. Treasury. He allegedly utilized the false negotiable instrument as payment for his debt and mailed it to the Social Security Administration.

Koss subscribed to what is known as the redemption theory, the indictment says, which claims that a “Birthright Trust” is created with the U.S. Treasury when parents of a newborn child pledge the child’s birth certificate to the government. Redemption theory involves bogus claims that when the United States government abandoned the gold standard in 1933, it pledged its citizens as collateral so it could borrow money. The movement also asserts that common citizens can gain access to funds in secret accounts using obscure procedures and regulations.

According to the indictment, adherents of the redemption theory sometimes call themselves “sovereign citizens.” The sovereign citizen movement is a loosely organized collection of groups and individuals who have adopted anarchist ideology. Its adherents claim that virtually all existing government in the United States is illegitimate and they seek to “restore” an idealized, minimalist government that never actually existed. Redemption theory and sovereign citizen beliefs are totally without merit and they have no basis in law or fact. Individuals often use these ideas to further various fraudulent schemes.

Koss is charged with two counts of theft of government money, one count of Social Security disability fraud, one count of passing a fictitious instrument with the intent to defraud, and one count of mail fraud.

Ketchmark cautioned that the charges contained in this indictment are simply accusations, and not evidence of guilt. Evidence supporting the charges must be presented to a federal trial jury, whose duty is to determine guilt or innocence.

This case is being prosecuted by Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Trey Alford. It was investigated by the Social Security Administration – Office of Inspector General, the Department of the Treasury – Inspector General for Tax Administration and the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Chuck, Schmuck....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I think they are more likely to be calling him inmate # ???????? in the very near future.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

In fact, Koss has been detained since his arrest on May 7 of last year, both as a risk of flight and as a danger to the community. The following is a part of a typical minute order:
Follow up conference to determine status of this matter as it relates to discovery. Defendant is uncooperative and argumentative with the court. The court directs defendant to file written motions rather than making any oral motion during the proceedings; and any oral motion made in this proceeding is denied.
The entire transcript will show anyone who can read - which likely excludes Koss and his ilk - that babbling about "authorized representatives" and UCC sections and "no subject matter jurisdiction" will do nothing but piss off the judge (and, if you persist, get you removed from the courtroom).

Koss continues through the process with the usual refusing orders for cause (including the order giving him access, as an incarcerated pro se litigant, to discovery materials, probably not a move worthy of Clarence Darrow), refusing to give handwriting exemplars, etc - all of which leads the court only to consider a competency hearing. Koss' response to this idea: "I demand that you release me immediately with cause and with prejudice". I'm sure you all believe that happened. The hearing ends without a decision, but with a priceless transcript. Following receipt of the PHS report, the Court orders another competency hearing, and Koss starts refusing to accept the Court's mail. Koss was found competent in yet another zoo of a hearing.

Trial starts this Tuesday, February 19, federal court in St. Louis. YEE-HAW!
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

That one sounds like he is short a whole lot o' fries in his happy meal.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't understand why the judge is putting up with name business and some of the rest of it, since all he is doing is encouraging Koss to further idiocy, because at some point he is going to claim that the judge agreed with some of his nonsense and then go on from there. I know the challenge jurisdiction is standard sovcit protocol, but he seems to be going at everything but the kitchen sink.

I have a feeling this is going to be a long tedious trial, and that Mr Koss is probably going to be having a lot of time outs.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

A wackadoo sov'reign named Chuck
With his logic is having no luck,
'Cause, the Judge is the boss,
And the wackadoo Koss
Is a dimwitted, stupid Dumb Cluck.
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Can someone send a message upstairs and see if we can get a little vacation time for Famspear?
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
wserra

Post by wserra »

notorial dissent wrote:at some point he is going to claim that the judge agreed with some of his nonsense and then go on from there.
That already happened in one of the transcripts to which I linked above. The M-J is more patient than I would be.
- David Hume
Dezcad
Khedive Ismail Quatoosia

Post by Dezcad »

My favorite line from the June 14, 2012 transcript - at the end of the hearing:
MR. KOSS: I don’t consent to my continued incarceration.
How's that working out for you, Chuck?
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Like Wes, I am impressed with the M-J, who is very patient, very polite, and very "judicial."

I do not know anything about any of the District Judges the M-J refers to in his comments about the future of the case, but I have found that it is rare to find a USDJ who has this kind of patientce and politeness. Some, of course, have tempers that can only be measured in terms like "hurricane force," etc.
"My Health is Better in November."
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:Can someone send a message upstairs and see if we can get a little vacation time for Famspear?
Bear in mind that all formal requisitions for vacation time must, according to Illuminati Rule 603.25(c), be submitted in the form of a limerick.......

:Axe:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

As I read some of these transcripts in this Charles Koss case, I'm struck with the sense that this guy really feels that he is out of control of his own life, and that the delusional belief system he has developed has been a way of overcompensating, a way of trying to reduce the anxiety he must feel.

You have to be pretty torn up inside, emotionally, to get to the point where you are so delusional that you can blabber on and on as he does -- in open court -- and actually "believe" that your blabber describes the objective reality of your situation. This guy is in serious legal trouble, and he is going on and on as though he somehow "believes" that he understands the law -- as though he "believes" that his wacky gibberish is somehow going to prevent the legal system from moving inexorably forward with the rules that the legal system follows.
Prof
El Pontificator de Porceline Precepts

Post by Prof »

Famspear wrote:As I read some of these transcripts in this Charles Koss case, I'm struck with the sense that this guy really feels that he is out of control of his own life, and that the delusional belief system he has developed has been a way of overcompensating, a way of trying to reduce the anxiety he must feel.

You have to be pretty torn up inside, emotionally, to get to the point where you are so delusional that you can blabber on and on as he does -- in open court -- and actually "believe" that your blabber describes the objective reality of your situation. This guy is in serious legal trouble, and he is going on and on as though he somehow "believes" that he understands the law -- as though he "believes" that his wacky gibberish is somehow going to prevent the legal system from moving inexorably forward with the rules that the legal system follows.
I have the same impression. He seems to sincerely believe the BS he learned from someone on the internet or at some seminar, etc. These folks have convinced him-- or he has convinced himself -- that these magic words will move the levers of the world.

So, while silly, he is also sad. I doubt that he will ever "understand."

Wes, when faced with someone like this, do you think you -- as an MJ or USDJ-- would allow such a person to defend himself? Is this level of delusion enough to meet the tests? I may have to read the Seton Hall article, eventualy.
"My Health is Better in November."
wserra

Post by wserra »

Prof wrote:Wes, when faced with someone like this, do you think you -- as an MJ or USDJ-- would allow such a person to defend himself? Is this level of delusion enough to meet the tests?
If he is competent, and indicates that he understands and agrees at a Faretta hearing, he must be allowed to represent himself. Koss was examined, and the M-J (accepted by the DJ) found him competent following a hearing. That about ends it. The only thing that could reopen the issue (other than Koss changing his mind) is refusal to behave. It may come to that.
- David Hume
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

Well, not exactly "must". There have been instances where defendants, generally regarded as competent, were saddled with court-appointed lawyers because they were talking such pseudo-legal nonsense that it was obvious in pre-trial that they were determined to cut their own throats. Also defendants who gave some hint that they would become disruptive and have to be removed (or gagged).

A good friend who was involved with prosecuting the Montana Freemen told me that the 6 or 7 defendants would all go ape whenever they were brought into court, so they would all be removed to a jail cell with a closed circuit TV setup to watch what was happening in the courtroom. There was method to their madness. The jail cell with the TV hookup was on the ground floor with a window that looked out at a public park across the street. Men in army surplus outfits were seen clustering in the park, with some sort of machinery, and it was realized that a jailbreak might be attempted, so some spare buses were parked along the wall of that holding cell.
notorial dissent

wserra wrote:... It may come to that.
I think it is pretty close on to that now, and I expect that his behavior will worsen the closer they get to actual trial. I don't know if he is competent, in the legal sense, or not to stand for himself, but he has certainly given every indication that he really doesn't understand, in the real world sense, what is going on around him. In his fantasy world this is all resolved, he made it all go away with his magical words and incantations to the great and powerful UCC, and he is now being held against his will, and beyond that I don't think anything else is registering. At this point I don't see how anything positive is going to come out of his actions and beliefs, not going to end well at all. I do think Famspear and Prof are correct in their evaluations of the situation.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Famspear wrote:
The Observer wrote:Can someone send a message upstairs and see if we can get a little vacation time for Famspear?
Bear in mind that all formal requisitions for vacation time must, according to Illuminati Rule 603.25(c), be submitted in the form of a limerick.......

Comes now a minion by occupation
To submit an Illuminati application
That under 603.25 c
This should taken to be
A request for a Famspear vacation.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

ArthurWankspittle wrote:
Famspear wrote:

Comes now a minion by occupation
To submit an Illuminati application
That under 603.25 c
This should taken to be
A request for a Famspear vacation.
Based on recent news reports: Please, don't let my vacation be a Carribean or Gulf cruise......

:shock: