Bullshit Receptivity - An Academic Paper

This forum is for new articles and lengthy posts by anybody who desires to contribute quality materials to the website. What is posted here will be propogated to the first page of Quatloos.com's main website. Of course, no advertising, etc.
AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Bullshit Receptivity - An Academic Paper

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Now this could have been posted in many different topics on this forum, but I think as it's applicable to many subjects discussed, that a standalone posting is the best place for it!

Who falls for fake news? The roles of bullshit receptivity, overclaiming, familiarity, and analytic thinking

A highlight from the abstract:

We find consistent evidence that the tendency to ascribe profundity to randomly generated sentences – pseudo-profound bullshit receptivity – correlates positively with perceptions of fake news accuracy, and negatively with the ability to differentiate between fake and real news (media truth discernment). Relatedly, individuals who overclaim regarding their level of knowledge (i.e. who produce bullshit) also perceive fake news as more accurate.

And the TL;DR version:

Our results suggest that belief in fake news has similar cognitive properties to other forms of bullshit receptivity

Or. in simple terms, once you start believing bullshit you're on the slippery slope to believing all bullshit!

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3023545
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Bullshit Receptivity - An Academic Paper

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

If you can't make up your own, here's a tool which will do it for you. A choice example:

You and I are beings of the stratosphere.

Transformation is the healing of wonder, and of us. Consciousness consists of electromagnetic forces of quantum energy.

“Quantum” means an unfolding of the heroic.

Bondage is the antithesis of transformation.

Our conversations with other seekers have led to an unveiling of pseudo-interstellar consciousness. Reality has always been radiating warriors whose hearts are opened by self-actualization. We are at a crossroads of curiosity and pain.

Throughout history, humans have been interacting with the galaxy via electromagnetic resonance. Humankind has nothing to lose. We are in the midst of a cosmic summoning of karma that will give us access to the world itself.

Who are we? Where on the great circuit will we be guided? The stratosphere is calling to you via psionic wave oscillations.

Can you hear it? How should you navigate this consciousness-expanding quantum soup?

Where there is yearning, love cannot thrive.

Prophet, look within and unify yourself. Although you may not realize it, you are sacred. If you have never experienced this oasis on a cosmic scale, it can be difficult to live.

The solar system is overflowing with sub-atomic particles. We grow, we dream, we are reborn. This life is nothing short of an ennobling reimagining of astral choice.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

There's also this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ps ... b2818e4020

It gives a link to the same paper mentioned above.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

Pottapaug1938 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:57 pm http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

Our conversations with other seekers have led to an unveiling of pseudo-interstellar consciousness. Reality has always been radiating warriors whose hearts are opened by self-actualization. We are at a crossroads of curiosity and pain.
Seems better written than some of the Sovereign Citizen court filings. About as much real content, also.
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Oh no, a semi-automatic Anna von RitzCracker. Just add constitutional quotes.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Tevildo
Pirate
Pirate

Post by Tevildo »

There's one semi-serious question I'd like to ask based on the paper (pp 6-7):
Pennycook & Rand wrote:CRT [Cognitive Reflection Test] performance predicts a wide range of psychological factors (for various theoretical reasons) – including, for example, religious and paranormal disbelief, moral judgments and values, attitudes toward science, altruism, and smartphone use.
Are high scores on the test correlated negatively with smartphone use? I would guess that's the case, but I'd be very interested if that's what the evidence actually supports.
Manny
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Manny »

Interesting paper and well put. One anomaly I detected is that you quote your previous works as references. I thought only the bible did that...
Cpt Banjo
Fretful leader of the Quat Quartet

Post by Cpt Banjo »

For longer bullshit papers, try The Postmodernism Generator. http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/

This explains its background. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism_Generator
"Run get the pitcher, get the baby some beer." Rev. Gary Davis
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

Hmmm ... I'm impressed thus far, but:
Given that the creators of fake news are not beholden to editorial norms ...
This ignores the reality that today's "editorial norms" do not necessarily include strict adherence to "the truth."

Our news media culture has mutated well beyond simple advocacy journalism.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three