Taxes are "against God's will"

Moderator: ArthurWankspittle

AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Taxes are "against God's will"

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

I guess this is the more appropriate section as they aren't really Sov Cits/FOTLers but they are protesting about paying tax.

Sadly they bet the farm on being right :snicker:
A Christian family who refused to pay income tax because it went "against God's will" have been ordered to pay more than A$2m (£1.1m $1.4m) to Australia's tax office.

Rembertus Cornelis Beerepoot and Fanny Alida Beerepoot, of Tasmania, had not paid income tax since 2011.

Their farm was seized and sold by their local council in 2017 after they failed to pay seven years-worth of rates.

Ms Beerepoot told the court: "We don't own anything because we are [God's]."
Nice of them to identify themselves with "poot" in their name!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-49017512
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Re: Taxes are "against God's will"

Post by notorial dissent »

A very small subset, and equally inept and ineffective, of the sovcit major set. They're sovcits, they focus totally on religion, still comes down to the good old tried and true "you're not the boss of me" in this case because the great sky father says so.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

"When you get to Heaven, we understand its largely tax free, but until then, Render unto Caesar etc...."
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
fortinbras
Princeps Wooloosia

Post by fortinbras »

The irony is that, by taking this position, your living accommodations for the next several years would be dependent on the generosity of the people that do pay taxes.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

Gregg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 pm "When you get to Heaven, we understand its largely tax free, but until then, Render unto Caesar etc...."
I am willing to start a rumour that it isn't though. "The only things that are certain in life are death and taxes." No exclusion given that taxes don't continue after death.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Always convenient that God’s will also happens to be the same thing the person wants.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Jeffrey wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:46 pm Always convenient that God’s will also happens to be the same thing the person wants.
Yeah, curious that.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
KickahaOta

Post by KickahaOta »

ArthurWankspittle wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:40 am
Gregg wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 pm "When you get to Heaven, we understand its largely tax free, but until then, Render unto Caesar etc...."
I am willing to start a rumour that it isn't though. "The only things that are certain in life are death and taxes." No exclusion given that taxes don't continue after death.
Ah, but taxes are only certain in life. That implies that they are at least uncertain in death. I recommend consulting a qualified tax practitioner as soon as you arrive in your designated afterlife.
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

KickahaOta wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 pm
ArthurWankspittle wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:40 am
Ah, but taxes are only certain in life. That implies that they are at least uncertain in death. I recommend consulting a qualified tax practitioner as soon as you arrive in your designated afterlife.
That assumes there will be qualified tax practitioners in the same part of the afterlife as me.
(punchline of old lawyer joke-
God: I'll sue you
Satan:And where do you think you'll find a lawyer?)
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

Old Engineer joke punchline, too.
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
Number Six
Hereditary Margrave of Mooloosia

Post by Number Six »

About 15 years ago I looked at various moral or religious arguments against tax and law compliance and came to the conclusion that many of them were possible if you weren't very far up the hierarchy of civilization. But once you start using regulated money and assets you have to do in Rome as the Romans do....i.e. obey the laws governing instruments of wealth and power. There are occasionally unjust laws that moral people should rebel against, but with all the religious provisions in the law, there are honest work arounds if you are against certain types of regulations but requirements to comply with taxes and fees when required. I'm not sure how those exceptions in the law vary in Australia but usually people get plenty of warnings before the boom is lowered.
'There are two kinds of injustice: the first is found in those who do an injury, the second in those who fail to protect another from injury when they can.' (Roman. Cicero, De Off. I. vii)

'Choose loss rather than shameful gains.' (Chilon Fr. 10. Diels)