New Zealand FOTLers/Sov Cits... An Occasional Series

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean, ArthurWankspittle

AnOwlCalledSage
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

New Zealand FOTLers/Sov Cits... An Occasional Series

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

'Sovereign citizen' who shuns NZ laws prosecuted for driving without a driver's licence
A "Sovereign citizen" who claims he's not subject to New Zealand laws has been prosecuted for driving without a licence.

Scott William Larsen prefers to go by the name "scott-william of the House of Larsen" and is a "governor" of self-proclaimed sovereign, Ariki Nui o Tuhoe Government.

His belief is that as a "living man", he, and his supporters, are not subject to the laws of New Zealand or Acts of the Crown.

Larsen came to the attention of police in Featherston last April, when an officer saw that his driver's licence had expired on January 22, 2018.
He was sentenced on the assault charge to come up for sentence if called upon within nine month
NZ law has a sentence where you have to behave yourself for a determinate period and if you are arrested again for any offence you can be given an actual sentence for the crime you were originally found guilty of.

Must be heart-breaking for Jacquie that he's chosen to be a Sov Cit rather than a Commonwealth PLD adherent.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
TBL

Re: New Zealand FOTLers/Sov Cits... An Occasional Series

Post by TBL »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as he's now subject to the sentencing for his assault charge because he was caught (again?) driving without a license.
AnOwlCalledSage

TBL wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:04 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read this as he's now subject to the sentencing for his assault charge because he was caught (again?) driving without a license.
This was an appeal. The assault was at the same time as the licence stop. He wound up his window trapping the arm of a police officer. If he commits another offence within 9 months of the verdict he will be sentenced for that assault.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
TBL

Post by TBL »

Got it. Who's running the over/under for when he violates?
CrankyBoomer
Pirate Captain
Pirate Captain

Post by CrankyBoomer »

It looks as though King Crusty is back - among other member of the 'Purple Thumb Community' reported on by a channel that exposes hoaxes.
Convair
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Convair »

Something from NORML. Does some of this seem a bit "sovcit-ish"?

https://norml.org.nz/rights/
Dr. Caligari
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Crickets

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I'm not a NZ lawyer, but most of that seems to be following mainstream law, not SovCit theories.
Dr. Caligari
(Du musst Caligari werden!)
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

I also am not a NZ lawyer, but agree with Doc C. I do take issue with whether "adversarial from the get-go" is necessarily the best approach to take with the police in every instance.

Some of that article is NZ-specific, such as the aptly-named Misuse of Drugs Act ("But Officer, I was using that stuff exactly as it was intended to be used"). I also like its acronym.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

wserra wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:40 am Some of that article is NZ-specific, such as the aptly-named Misuse of Drugs Act ("But Officer, I was using that stuff exactly as it was intended to be used"). I also like its acronym.
Wondering if they also have a Law named Legally Specified Drugs, to go with the MDA. Taken together this laws could be pretty wild.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Convair
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Convair »

Convair
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Convair »

AnOwlCalledSage

As it's a bit quiet this weekend...

‘Sovereign citizen’ argument
By Guy Williams
A Queenstown man refused to undergo a roadside breath test, then demanded police pay him $6000 in "gold bullion" for taking up his time.

Featuring the classic:

"I’m not a ship so I don’t belong in a dock".

The TL;DR

Henry was convicted and fined $1200, court costs $520 and disqualified from driving for six months.

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queenstow ... 9-argument
Convair
Stowaway
Stowaway

Post by Convair »

AnOwlCalledSage

Looks like an old fashioned drunk on a night out in New Zealand until the good old "I do not consent" provides some sort of clue.

Sovereign citizen Megan Gordon fined $1500 for offending linked to her driving through police checkpoint

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/513 ... checkpoint

So, that then begs why she was jailed for contempt earlier? :thinking: All becomes clear in the earlier report :snicker:
Gordon argued there was "no controversy" in her seeking to make a statement to clarify her situation, and that "Megan Dale Gordon was an artificial construct" against which the charges had been laid, and therefore should be dropped because she was a non-resident settler "speaking out".

"I'm standing here in good faith to settle this matter," she said.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/512 ... -construct
SteveD
Scalawag
Scalawag

Post by SteveD »

I wonder how many NZ sovcit cases are clogging up the courts there, here in Australia it is becoming a strain on the NSW court system, with a marked rise in their numbers... (enough that it has become noticeable to NSW magistrates)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-08/ ... /102285772