hi guys! im commonly known as bmxninja357....

Moderator: Burnaby49

pigpot
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Re: hi guys! im commonly known as bmxninja357....

Post by pigpot »

LordEd wrote:Back to universal declaration. Why is that document special? I don't remember agreeing to it. Who made it 'binding'? Who agreed to it?
Exactly... No more special than anything else such as "The Constitution" etc.
Boaz. It's a little like Shazam. It certainly meant a lot to Billy Batson.
Nothing in this post is legal or lawful advice, it is only used for the sake of entertainment.
All "rights" are reserved by this poster.
LordEd
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LordEd »

Constitution was created and maintained by representatives I can vote for.
JamesVincent
A Councilor of the Kabosh

Post by JamesVincent »

Wish these guys would make up their mind. First, they're dead set against the UN, saying the UN is trying to steal their sovereignty. Then they want something the UN does as the absolute law of the land, even though the UN cannot supersede a nations laws. I mean, which is it? I don't know how it is in Canada but here Congress has to vote on allowing UN laws to be used. So even if the UN says something, unless we agree to it and it passes Congress, it means nothing.
Disciple of the cross and champion in suffering
Immerse yourself into the kingdom of redemption
Pardon your mind through the chains of the divine
Make way, the shepherd of fire

Avenged Sevenfold "Shepherd of Fire"
Arthur Rubin
Tupa-O-Quatloosia

Post by Arthur Rubin »

How are treaties agreed to in Canada? In the US, a treaty has to be presented to the Senate by the President and "ratified" by a 2/3 vote. [Political statement removed by poster]
Arthur Rubin, unemployed tax preparer and aerospace engineer
ImageJoin the Blue Ribbon Online Free Speech Campaign!

Butterflies are free. T-shirts are $19.95 $24.95 $29.95
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Arthur Rubin wrote:How are treaties agreed to in Canada? In the US, a treaty has to be presented to the Senate by the President and "ratified" by a 2/3 vote. [Political statement removed by poster]
Remember this statement I made?
The natural person is "Her Majesty the Queen of Canada" who has delegated certain (basicly all) of the powers and privileges of the state, the corporate Majesty in right of Canada, to various legal entities and persons.
Interestingly enough, the making and signing of treaties was one power that was never delegated. (oops)
In theory this means that once the Queen's Representative in Canada, the Governor General in council, on the advice of the government, has authorized the government to sign the treaty, it has the force of law. In other words, no formal ratification by parliament required.
Since 2009 however, because of the potential for possible Supreme Court of Canada challenges, the policy has been (note it's simply policy) to present the treaty in parliament for a period of 21 days after signing to allow the House of Commons to make comment upon it. It's still law however, and I'm not sure of the constitutional implications should the treaty be rejected by the House (it hasn't happened yet, but would be a fine mess of worms).
pigpot
Banned (Permanently)
Banned (Permanently)

Post by pigpot »

I asked "this" over on "pigpot's Pot".

Cheers. :wink:
Boaz. It's a little like Shazam. It certainly meant a lot to Billy Batson.
Nothing in this post is legal or lawful advice, it is only used for the sake of entertainment.
All "rights" are reserved by this poster.
eric
Trivial Observer of Great War

Post by eric »

Arthur Rubin wrote:How are treaties agreed to in Canada? In the US, a treaty has to be presented to the Senate by the President and "ratified" by a 2/3 vote. [Political statement removed by poster]
Although I replied to the exact question above, as to the international treaty ratification process in Canada by stating there really isn't a formal process, I perhaps purposely "forgot" to mention that some of these treaties would require the government of Canada to actually do something afterward to implement the treaty either by presenting a bill in the House or through orders-in-council. My apologies if I'm straying into pure politics, but sometimes the government of the day simply signs the treaty and never does anything of real import afterwards so they become essentially meaningless in Canada. I suspect that some of them really wouldn't have the force of law without a Supreme Court decision.