Justice Saunders Most Awfullest Day Ever

Moderator: Burnaby49

Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Northern Raider of Sovereign Commerce
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

Justice Saunders Most Awfullest Day Ever

Post by Hilfskreuzer Möwe »

I usually think being a judge would be pretty nifty. Get to deal with important subjects. Create solutions rather than cause problems. Hear intelligent persons debate issues both complex and subtle. Craft judgments both witty and wise.

Then there are those reality checks. Reading an 80 page judgment that is 90% damages analysis where the parties are arguing over items such as whether a re-enforced stair handrail should be valued at $100, vs $80. Family law disputes between certified psychos. Yet Another Aboriginal Claim Of Dubious Kind And Origin.

But really … I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything that quite matches up to what happened to Justice Jamie W. S. Saunders on May 2, 2013, in Chambers at the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal. He had what can only be described as a singularly crummy day.

It looks like there were six cases heard on that date. No idea the order, so I’ll report them in their citation order:

R. v. Furqan, 2013 NSCA 55: http://canlii.ca/t/fx9z6

I detected this decision a couple weeks ago and reproduced it en toto in the Amir Furqan - Subject only to the Lunar Calender thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=9278

In brief, dude fighting conviction of driving without a license arrives with a mass of materials, argues he is not a person, he adheres only to the lunar calendar, invokes the 1793 Canada Slavery Act, and “surrendered” his birth certificate, which he then abandoned in the court when he lost and left.

Not a particularly auspicious way to start the morning.

Hatfield v. Mader, 2013 NSCA 56 follows. Nobody showed up on either side. Appeal dismissed for being out of time.

Smith v. Stead, 2013 NSCA 57 is next. Same thing.

Gillis v. Roy Stutley Plumbing and Heating Ltd., 2013 NSCA 58: Hey, people show up on this one! The parties agree the appeal should continue once logistics issues are addressed.

Will Justice Saunder’s luck hold? No…...

Doncaster v. Chignecto-Central Regional School Board, 2013 NSCA 59: http://canlii.ca/t/fxbgk

It’s crazy time again! Ralph Ivan Doncaster takes center stage. He is a good old fashioned litigation terrorist, rather than a Sovereign Citizen/Freeman-on-the-Land. He demands Justice Saunders recuse himself. Why? Well, in addition to having made a formal complaint to the Canadian Judicial Counsel about Justice Saunders, the judge was also simply biased, and at para. 8 we see why:
Mr. Doncaster then described the incident, and only incident, which sparked his complaint to the Canadian Judicial Council. He said it was about my “conduct” during an earlier Chambers appearance this term when, in the process of writing down some dates he (Doncaster) had referred to his estranged wife’s lawyer by “she” or “her” to which I had intervened and said something to him along the lines of “Mr. Doncaster, counsel in this Chambers has a name and so you are to refer to Ms. Stevenson by her name.” Mr. Doncaster explained that my interjection came after he had already pointed out to me that he has ADHD and Asbergers. He said that it was apparent to him that I knew nothing about Asbergers and instead of understanding his “disability” and “accommodating” it, I had “chastised” him for “not following some silly, unwritten rules of Court decorum.” He then made reference to the Charter, certain United Nations Conventions on Persons with Disability, cases dealing with reasonable apprehension of bias, and a “welcome message” he had printed off the Internet of remarks made on some occasion by Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin. He said that in filing his complaint with the Canadian Judicial Council he had urged the Council to require me to take “sensitivity training” to “accommodate .... someone with a mental disability, like either of the two that I have, ADHD and Asbergers ...” and until such time as I had undertaken (and I assume presumably successfully completed) such training I should be prohibited from presiding over matters which involved him.
Mr. Doncaster also did not need to follow courtroom protocol, for example:
JUSTICE SAUNDERS: And I take it you don’t wish to stand today, Mr. Doncaster?

MR. DONCASTER: If you want to stand when you talk to me, I’ll stand when I talk to you.
Mr. Doncaster continues:
... may bring into question again your partiality where it is apparent, I think that you do expect people in the court with mental disability or not, you like them to follow the court decorum and I would say even archaic rituals of this Court and that my failure to show you the respect you think that may be acclaimed by judges where, in my personal opinion, a judge is no more – and I said this in another Provincial Court case before Judge Jamie Campbell to kind of explain Asbergers. To me, a judge is no more deserving of respect than a janitor. I judge people – I behave – I interact with people based on how they interact with me. Another way I put it before is respect is not acclaimed; it’s earned. And so given the fact that I don’t show you the respect that I think it seems you were use to getting from people in this court, I would say even having watched court processes a lot it seems like not just respect but deference in submission that it seems to be, I guess to go back to Medieval times, it seems like it’s still where you, people coming to the court are considered to be coming before the King’s representative and you know the King gets to sit upon his bench and people kind of see to him. So because of that lack of respect and deference I think again that brings in to question whether or not you will be deciding things on the basis of the actual evidence and facts before you rather than on the basis of your personal opinion and perhaps even emotional response to me not showing the respect and having the gall to go and complain to the Judicial Council, things like that. ...
So beyond that, it seems Mr. Doncaster has a hobby. He files lawsuits. A lot of them. 103 to be precise (2006-2013), and these are documented in Appendix A to the decision.

Justice Saunders stays an appeal of one of this multitude as being fatally flawed and goes into exposition that I think may be quoted elsewhere in Canadian jurisprudence, at some points in the future:
[44] In light of Justice Coady’s findings in the court below and from what I have seen on this and other matters on our Court’s docket, it seems to me that litigants such as Mr. Doncaster appear to fall into a camp of persons who claim an unconditional, and unassailable “right to appeal” every step, in every case. Persons who hold such a view are seriously misguided or ill-informed. No right is absolute. In our free and democratic society every right, privilege or interest is balanced and held in check by other rights, privileges and interests. The opportunity to appeal is regulated by long held practices and rules, by which deadlines, substance, style and content are strictly enforced. Those unwilling or unprepared to follow those strictures do so at their peril.

[45] Litigants, self-represented or not, with legitimate interests at stake will be treated with respect and will quickly come to realize that judges, lawyers and court staff are prepared to bend over backwards to accommodate their needs, to explain procedures that may seem foreign, and to ensure that the merits of their disputes will be heard. They and their cases will be seen as the raison d’être for access to justice.

[46] Litigants, self-represented or not, with a different agenda designed to wreak havoc on the system by a succession of endless, mindless or mind-numbing paper or electronic filings, or meant to drive a spouse or opposite party to distraction or despair or financial ruin will quickly come to realize that the Court’s patience, tolerance and largesse have worn thin. They and their cases will be seen as an affront to justice and summarily shown the door.

[47] More often than not, the individuals in this latter group whom I would dub “self-serving litigants” leave a trail of unpaid judgments and costs orders in their wake. Judges will not sit idly by as the finite resources of their courts are hijacked by people with computer skills or unlimited time on their hands; at the expense of worthy matters, waiting patiently in the queue for a hearing. Faux litigants will be exposed, soon earning the tag “vexatious litigant” or “paper terrorist” whose offerings deserve a sharp rebuff and rebuke.

[48] Over the past two months I have encountered several such cases. Their number is mounting. I find that troubling. The Bench, the practicing Bar and the public should be concerned. This trespass upon legitimate advocacy is not in the public interest. In the short term it frustrates the efficient passage and completion of litigation. In the long term it erodes and denigrates confidence in and respect for the administration of justice. It defeats a system of dispute resolution managed and overseen by people who are doing the best they can to serve the public in a way that respects and follows the law, and produces a result that satisfies the primary object of the Rules which is to provide “for the just, speedy and inexpensive determination of every proceeding”.
So, we now come to the close of Justice Saunders' Very Long Day. What could possibly round out this experience? Why, a Freeman-on-the-Land, of course!

Macdonald v. First National Financial GP Corporation, 2013 NSCA 60: http://canlii.ca/t/fxbq5

Mr. Macdonald appeals foreclosure, sale, and possession of a property in Antigonish, Nova Scotia. Oh. Did I say Mr. Macdonald? My mistake:
[3] … In his appearances before me he used a variety of sobriquets including “the natural human”, “the agent for the all capital letters”, “the beneficiary for the MICHAEL MACDONALD TRUST ACCOUNT”, “the agent of Michael W. Macdonald and Maritime Residential Housing Development Ltd.”, “the natural human” and “Michael William Sui-Juris, Human Flesh and Blood Man”.
So what’s it like to have this chap attend your court?
[1] I encountered Mr. Macdonald several times while presiding over cases heard in Chambers this term. Each was a bizarre experience. His ill-advised forays into the juridical world led to a series of unnecessary appearances which wasted my time as well as the time of counsel representing the respondent. Mr. Macdonald’s actions show a pattern of exploiting the Court’s limited resources which only served to delay and frustrate other parties and lawyers who were forced to wait patiently in a packed courtroom for their case to be heard.
It is obvious that Justice Saunders has had a long, long day. He decides to share it with you and I, so we too may understand, nod, and share, vicariously, in a little in his pain:
[4] But for exceptional circumstances or other statutory limitations, judges and lawyers proudly subscribe to the “open courts” principle. I welcome the attendance of citizens in what must be seen as their courts, so that they are free to sit at the back of the gallery, view the day’s proceedings and judge for themselves whether respect for the administration of justice is well-founded.

[5] With that in mind I will offer a few illustrations to allow the reader a glimpse of what happened in this case, both to provide context for the outcome, and to serve as a modest substitute for actually attending as an observer seated at the back.
For quick reference, here's what he means by that:

para. 29 – won’t cross the bar, insists he is not “contracting” with the court. He’s an agent! “Yet again I reminded Mr. Macdonald that he could not appear as an agent for himself.”

para. 30 – a transcript excerpt where Justice Saunders attempts to determine who he is talking to. “Michael William” explains, among other things, “The surname is owned by the Crown.”

para. 32 – “Michael William” alleges the court is trying to trick him into admitting his name is “Michael Macdonald”. To do so, is fraud!
If I were to admit to being the surname Macdonald, name of the trust, not only would I be in violation of 336 of the Criminal Code, a criminal breach of trust and 403, personalization of the Criminal Code but also it would be interviewed as being trustee of the trust account or a legal fiction over which you are public servant. This would make me liable for the debt against the trust account. Men, both women, male and female does not have access to the trust account because men do not operate in commerce. This is why the public must turn us into a legal fiction making us believe we are the surname in order to operate in this fictional world. We are not legal fictions, however, in order to function within commerce we must have a surname to use with the illusion. And this can be corrected. The Crown owns legal title to the surname. If we are asked to sign our last name we would ask them, are we to violate the Criminal Code which does not apply to us. The Criminal Code only applies to public servants. I believe what you are doing now, trying to trick me into becoming the trustee of the CQV [cestui que vie] trust, is fraud.

[…]

Since the Crown has legal title to the surname this means that not only is the Crown liable for the debt created but also evidence which public servants has committed fraud. I would like to have this case dismissed in its entirety or I will have no choice but to expose all this fraud.
para. 33 – an excerpt from “Michael William’s” “Commercial Affidavit of Truth”. Yeah, it’s more split person gibberish. Oh, incidentally, you don’t get a soul by being human. It’s conferred by baptism. I think that raises more questions than answers. Are souls 'free-floating' prior to being 'installed' by baptism? Is the newborn truly soulless? What about Soviet Russia?! Is the 'virtuous pagan' truly not merely damned, but a nullity itself!?

para. 34 – Justice Saunders gives up:
Sadly, none of this makes any sense to me. Nor apparently to counsel for the respondent. With respect, we ought not to be obliged to waste any more time trying to plumb or fathom the depths of Mr. Macdonald’s thinking.
para. 38 – a review of the grounds for appeal. Lots of stupid, but I particularly like this allegation:
5. The honourable court failed to consider the fact it is void of any authority to unilaterally change the definitions of words, such as: “insurance”, “fraud”, “unjust enrichment”, “bias” and other words. The honourable court appears to have taken the initiative of redefining such words.
and among the remedies sought:
7. In the alternative, a decree there is no law.
Huh. How does something get empowered to make a declaration that there is no law. Let’s see. 1 divided by zero = [whooshing sound].

para. 40 – see the Appendix for a scan of “Michael William’s” “Letter of Understanding. Turns out the Masons (I presume the “Free” ones) are involved.

para. 41 – more of the “Commercial Affidavit of Truth”. It’s stupid. Here’s some. There’s lots more, if you want the pain:
1. The NS Barristers Civil Procedures Rules do not apply to me. I am not a Corporation. If you cannot get a copy of statutory Law so you can understand it then it does not apply to you. It is only written in Legalese so lawyers can understand it so it only apply to lawyers.

3. I am using Scriptural Law (Queen Law) and I have said that no lawyers are invited to this case because it is private.

21. A promissory note or a mortgage document is a negotiable instrument. A copy of 100 dollar bill is not the same as the Legal Tender 100 dollar bill therefore a copy of the promissory note or a copy of the original mortgage document is not a negotiable instrument. If you do not have the original wet ink signature, you do not have the title.

28. This all was deliberate deception by the Crown and the Vatican.

34. In any court room my name is Michael and I do not wish to contract with any court. The MAC DONALD MICHAEL WILLIAM name is a CQV Trust Acc and I am the director. I will not be tricked in any court room to be the ALL CAPS TRUST ACC.
Oh yeah, and you have 30 days to argue about it.
This document is Commercial Affidavit of Truth. Failure to rebut this in 30 days will be presumed as acceptance of the Truth. And this will be followed by a Commercial Lien recorded in the Public.
Thankfully, Justice Saunders managed to get this decision out in six days so he met the rebuttability criteria. Whew!

In conclusion, “Michael Williams” deserves the exact same treatment as Mr. Doncaster:
Earlier this week I had occasion to put a stop to equally egregious conduct which I saw as a deliberate exploitation of the Court’s time and resources in Doncaster v. Chignecto-Central Regional School Board, 2013 NSCA 59. Some of those same concerns apply with equal force to this case. I will merely substitute the surname “Macdonald” for “Doncaster” and repeat my conclusions starting at ¶44
Appeal dismissed.

And the end of a very, very long day.

I’m tempted to take up a collection to make an appropriate purchase and delivery of booze to Justice Saunders. He’s earned it.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Chados
Pirates Mate
Pirates Mate

Re: Justice Saunders Most Awfullest Day Ever

Post by Chados »

Lord God. All that in one day? My judges would all either commit ritual seppuku or chuck the whole lot in the holding cells on a 6 month bid for contempt!
LightinDarkness
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by LightinDarkness »

You know what I find most ironic about freeman/soverign citizen antics is that no matter what flavor you are dealing with, they all are based on this idea that the court system and judges are out to get you and that they devote their job/lives to trying to trick you into giving them jurisdiction. Judges are described in particular as having 100% malicious intent against everyone except the state.

Yet we see in cases like this the reality that, even when dealing with total fruitcakes, judges go through the painstakingly annoying process of considering every point they make. Even the totally insane points (which is most of them). We even see many times that, buried beneath a mountain of non-sense legal gibberish, some of these freemen have a legitimate claim and in the few times they "win" its because the judge dug through the mountains of BS to find actual injustice. Judges should be applauded for putting up with this kind of lunacy and still finding a way to uphold the principles of justice.

As someone who is an arbitrator, so not a judge but in a position to make decisions in a quasi-judicial fashion, I think I have a lot of patience. But if someone in one of my cases tried 10% of the lunacy I read in some of these opinions, I think I would crack.

By the way OP, thanks for your detailed posts like this. I know it probably takes a lot of time to put these together and I don't always reply to them, but I really enjoy reading them and I am sure others do too!
Hilfskreuzer Möwe
Location: R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 26W 22 R R R SS Voltaire 47N 31 2 [signal lost]

LightinDarkness wrote:By the way OP, thanks for your detailed posts like this. I know it probably takes a lot of time to put these together and I don't always reply to them, but I really enjoy reading them and I am sure others do too!
The pleasure is all mine, LightinDarkness! Thank you for mentioning that. I view this as an opportunity to give back a little to a community which has been a huge assistance to me.

A few years ago, when I fell down the rabbit hole, there were just a few key resources that I could find and which helped me understand this bizarre slice of irreality. For example, one of my first discoveries was Daniel Evan's "Tax Protestor's FAQ" [thank you LPC!] and it was these items that not only set me on a useful track, but have also, in hindsight, proven dead on the mark. The experience in Canada is different from than south of the 49th, but the alignments are close.

If it were not for people such as Mr. Evans, the persons at the SPLC and ADL, and forums such as Quatloos, there would have been practically nothing available for me to get a handle on the emerging Canadian Freeman-on-the-Land movement and to help me communicate the nature of this general phenomenon within my professional duties.

I am now positioned to contribute, have some confidence on my own expertise, and I am delighted to do so.

With luck, perhaps some of what I document will act as a seed for another to understand this set of toxic memes, and help guide a useful response.

Plus, it's fun sharing the stupid! And unlike my other role(s), here I can be occasionally snarky, even catty. Which minimizes my frustrated displacement behaviours.

SMS Möwe
That’s you and your crew, Mr. Hilfskreuzer. You’re just like a vampire, you must feel quite good about while the blood is dripping down from your lips onto the page or the typing, uhm keyboard there... [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMoUnUiDqg at 11:25]
Hilfskreuzer Möwe

I have an update in relation to Macdonald v. First National Financial GP Corporation, 2013 NSCA 60. It appears the Michael MacDonald, the OPCA litigant who is the subject of Justice Saunders' detailed analysis, is an energetic lad. He is also the subject of two other reported decisions:

MacDonald v. Smith, 2013 NSSC 143: http://canlii.ca/t/fxb0m

MacDonald and his corporation sue personally the members of the board of directors for the bank that issued him a mortgage and the president of the Canada Home Mortgage Corporation ["CHMC"] for $16 million and the balance of his outstanding mortgage. CHMC is an organization that provides insurance for lenders who issue mortgages that conform to certain criteria (ie. not wildly risky) (at least in theory).

MacDonald applied for summary judgment and an order that the RCMP investigate the defendants for mortgage fraud. It took six months for him to file an appropriate supporting affidavit as he challenged that requirement, given he says he is only subject to “laws attached Elizabeth Windsor and noted in the Penteteuch” (paras. 6, 10). Naturally enough, the affidavit is a little more than slightly irrelevant (para. 16):
December 17th Mr. MacDonald filed his 23 page brief, much of which declares himself subject to some special and different law as bizarrely defined by him. He does not attorn to the laws of Canada. ...
MacDonald's arguments are identified as vexatious, without merit, and an abuse of process. The action is struck out, and the defendants get costs: paras. 13-17.

Last month we have a further decision which again involves Mr. MacDonald:

First National Financial GP Corporation v. Maritime Residential Housing Development Ltd., 2013 NSSC 219: http://canlii.ca/t/fzkvt

I believe this is the same proceeding as reported in Macdonald v. First National Financial GP Corporation, 2013 NSCA 60. First National foreclosed on three commercial properties held by MacDonald and his company. MacDonald sought summary judgment at the Queen's Bench level, had that denied, and then the Nova Scotia Court of Appeal decision is the refusal of that court to grant leave on that issue.

The matter then is concluded in 2013 NSSC 219. Justice Pickup provides some more details on Mr. MacDonald's argument and law:
  • the CHMC is a "secret society": para. 5.

the relevant legislation is “the Pentateuch from Elizabeth Windsor’s King James scripture": para. 5

Mr. MacDonald endorsed his documents with his signature and a green ink thumbprint: para. 8

since Mr. MacDonald did not receive his original promissary note he gets lots of damages, calculated in this manner (para. 7):
    In the absence of the return of My original wet ink signature Promissory Note I claim remedy of the value of My Promissory Note at Ten Times the face value or; $765,695.00 X 10 ($7,656,950.00 X 2 = $15,313,900.00 Exodus 21:24).
I was curious about this, so I looked up Exodus 21:24, which I believe reads "eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot", and it looks to me that we're getting 20 eyes for an eye here ... but then again I'm no biblical scholar. Merely an observation.

Mr. MacDonald's more interesting argument was that since his mortgage was insured by CHMC, he never had to pay it back simply because the mortgage insurer would cover the shortfall: para. 9. Justice Pickup observes that Mr. MacDonald is not only arguing his mortgage is insured, but also that it simply does not exist. So no dice: para. 20. That claim is also fatally flawed via the principle that a third party (ie. MacDonald) cannot enforce a contract between the bank and CHMC: para. 29.

Last, Justice Pickup concludes that Mr. MacDonald's defence is an abuse of process, an application of invalid concepts as described in Meads v. Meads, 2012 ABQB 571, and involves only arguments addressed in other parallel proceedings:
[33] First National submits that the defendants clearly plan to frame the entire action as an “Organized Pseudo Commercial Argument” and are, therefore, “OPCA” litigants. In a recent decision from the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench in Meads v. Meads, supra, Rooke ACJ, described OPCA litigants. In Meads, supra, the court defined and identified characteristic features of OPCA materials, court conduct and litigation strategies, many of which are evident in this proceeding, including Mr. MacDonald used his fingerprints as part of his signature; referred to unknown legal documents such as the “Pentateuch from Elizabeth Windsor’s King James Scripture”; alleged that CMHC operates as a “secret society”; and made various reference to CMHC’s connection (or lack thereof) to Elizabeth Windsor” or the “Queen of England”, or was the so-called enactment made on her behalf and the like.

[34] In oral argument Mr. MacDonald talked about the concept of an individual having two aspects, one being a person and one being a corporate entity. He talked about “agent to the real person”. He made demands of First National to produce certain documents. He made references to Admiralty Law versus Contract Law and talked about Cannon Law and refers to Canada as a corporation.

[35] I agree with the plaintiff that the defence and counterclaim amount to an attempt to frustrate the plaintiff’s attempts at foreclosure. It is interesting to note that there was a parallel proceeding on or about April 30, 2012, when Maritime Residential and MacDonald commenced an action in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, against a number of named individuals allegedly connected to First National GP Corporation, including Karen Kinsley, President of CMHC and CMHC itself. A review of the pleadings attached to the affidavit of Rebecca L. Hiltz LeBlanc, reveals that the two proceedings are substantially identical.

[36] The Honourable Justice N. Scaravelli found that the plaintiff were litigants as described in the case of Meads v. Meads, supra. I am also satisfied in this proceeding, that the defendant is a litigant as described in the case of Meads v. Meads, supra.

[37] Based on the similarities of the proceeding in the Halifax and Antigonish matters, this action constitutes an abuse of process insofar as the decision has already been made. As well, I am satisfied that the manner in which the defendants have proceeded is no more than an attempt to defeat or delay the foreclosure. Accordingly, the defence and counterclaim are dismissed.
During my research on Mr. MacDonald I believe I have also identified a line of Tax Court of Canada cases that relate to him as well. In the Nova Scotia cases he is always identified as "Michael MacDonald", but asked in the NSCA case to be called "Michael William" and signed documents as "Michael William MacDonald". Sure enough, there are three reported Tax Court cases where the taxpayer is a "Michael William MacDonald" from Nova Scotia:
In the 2009 decision Mr. MacDonald demanded a certified copy of the Income Tax Act and raised some OPCA arguments, which were dismissed out of hand (para. 5):
I now turn to the motion made by the Appellant. In his motion, the Appellant raises a number of arguments that are entirely without merit. For example, he claims to be a “natural free will man” who has not chosen to contract with Canada and is not subject to the Income Tax Act (the “ITA”). Some of the Appellant’s arguments overlap with an earlier motion dated April 27, 2009 which he made and which was dealt with in Webb J.’s order of May 28, 2009. Webb J. also indicated in response to that earlier motion by the Appellant that the grounds and issues raised by the Appellant were without merit. In this case, it is not entirely clear what the Appellant seeks but he does seek to have a document signed by Webb J. and counsel for the Respondent stating the date the ITA was passed and the certified number of the ITA. He also appears to be demanding that this case be thrown out of court and does not appear to understand that the consequence of that will be to make him liable for the amount of tax which he contests.
Justice Jorre urges him to argue actual issues (some appear to exist) and to get a lawyer: para. 8. Mr. MacDonald is charged $1000 in costs for his troubles.

The 2010 decision is in response to a letter sent by Mr. MacDonald to the CRA and the Tax Court Judges, which states in part (para. 5):
Further to the Honourable Justice Jorre’s Order, dated Sept 14, 2009 and the award of costs payable to the Respondent in the amount of $1,000.00. Please let the Honourable Justice Jorre know that I DO NOT WISH TO CONTRACT. My identity is in small letters not large Caps. I am a free will man, and I have the right to contract or the right not to contract.
Justice Woods concludes at para. 7 that enough is enough:
I conclude that it would be appropriate to dismiss the appeal because it is clear that the appellant has no intention of preparing for the conduct of a reasonable hearing. In all the circumstances of this appeal, it would be an abuse of the process of this Court to let this litigation continue.
The 2011 decision is by the Tax Court of Canada Taxing Officer who evaluated the court costs against Mr. MacDonald for his appeal. Mr. MacDonald did not bother to join in the telephone conference call hearing. A total of $3,664.48 was awarded in favour of the CRA.

I have tried to learn more about Mr. MacDonald, but have not met with success. His materials have some odd motifs. For example, I have never before encountered the "Pentateuch from Elizabeth Windsor’s King James scripture" language. The green ink fingerprint is also unique. Much of the rest of his OPCA arguments are simply routine Sovereign Citizen concepts, but it would be interesting to know whether he is receiving advice from a hitherto unidentified source, or is simply getting creative.

I've a suspicion we may have further litigation in the years ahead to help evaluate that question.

SMS Möwe
Kestrel
Endangerer of Stupid Species

Post by Kestrel »

As to the green ink thumbprint, I can shed some light on that.

A while back I had to get a Medallion Signature Guarantee on forms required to make transactions on a stock account. If you've never needed one, a Medallion is a special kind of notary endorsement for such accounts, wherein the notary is bonded and is endorsing that the person signing the form is authorized to transact business in that stock account. It's a lot more than just checking an ID.

The medallion stamp uses green ink. Fluorescent green. The reason is that the fluorescent ink can't be photocopied.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." - Robert Heinlein
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

If a judge had a real sense of humor, he'd accept the argument that the Pentatuch was a legitimate basis of law BUT require that all arguments and citations be based on the original document -- the Dead Sea Scrolls -- and that all hearings be conducted in Aramaic.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders