Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: The one and only Kent Hovind and related thread

Post by NYGman »

That is just depraved
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
TBL

Post by TBL »

The worst aspect of this is that the parents don't seem to be initiating the much-needed lawsuit in this case. While I'm a huge believer in personal responsibility, if you're allowing 7-year olds near water without supervision, you should get sued for negligence as the website states. But the parents would have to be the ones to sue.
So, my question is, could a criminal negligence case be initiated without the family's involvement?
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

TBL wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:29 pm The worst aspect of this is that the parents don't seem to be initiating the much-needed lawsuit in this case. While I'm a huge believer in personal responsibility, if you're allowing 7-year olds near water without supervision, you should get sued for negligence as the website states. But the parents would have to be the ones to sue.
So, my question is, could a criminal negligence case be initiated without the family's involvement?
If child services and the police got involved, yes. But here's the catch, the locals know it's a cult compound, and they don't want a Waco on their doorstep [a nearby county's local sausage festival each year is the communities biggest event drawing lots of out of state peeps]. Combined with the fact of a relatively low number of law enforcement [around 25 personnel total] looking at facing a couple dozen armed cultists.

Bonus feature is the fact that the parents don't want an investigation either, seeing as the mother was asleep in one of the "cabins" [a converted storage shed], the father was playing pool in a rec room about 40 feet from the pond shoreline, and the child drown while his other child was being rescued from drowning.
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

I hope this is the right place.
Leonard French covers Kent Hovind:
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

That's about the original case. Apparently there is an amended complaint somewhere.
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:31 pmApparently there is an amended complaint somewhere.
Actually, there are many. This is the most recent.

With apologies to the nice folks in the video, this piece of garbage is not worth 41 seconds of "analysis", let alone 41 minutes. The judge and the AUSA are immune, and the whole mess certainly appears to be time-barred. Moreover, who here thinks that Hovind bothered to serve an SF95 - basically a federal notice of claim - which is a condition precedent to suing the feds in tort? It must be filed within two years of the tortious acts - hence the time bar. And all this is even assuming he states a claim upon which relief can be granted [FRCP 12(b)(6)]. For example, it appears likely that his wife divorced him and his kids won't have anything to do with him because he's an idiot, not because of anything the feds did.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

I won't pretend to have delved very deeply in to this, since there is a very finite limit to the amount of anything Hovindish my stomach can tolerate. Near as I can parse, Kent is suing anybody and everybody who was even remotely involved in his original tax case and ultimate fall from grace. :sarcasmon: The chiefest problems I could see right off the bat, time barred, I think pretty much everyone he was suing would have immunity for doing their legal jobs in the matter, you know, the judges, court employees, IRS employees, etc, and suing the wrong people to begin with, no valid claim, no relief that can be granted, res judica, little things. Now as to why he is suing in FL I'm not sure, it seemed odd when I saw it. He is of course doing it pro se with the "help" of his bestest buddy, the one who helped him so much the last time around. I think he did sneak a pony in as one of his asks, but that is about the best he managed otherwise.

My personal opinion is that the whole wife and kids thing was the result of Kent's spectacularly warm, winning, and loving personality, not anything the feds did, and maybe letting his wife do some jail time didn't help. I can see where Jo just might have some grounds for complaint. Just sayin'.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Foggy
Gunners Mate
Gunners Mate

Post by Foggy »

I can't find it, but I know I saw a video once of one of his kids going up to the counter in a pizza restaurant and ordering a pizza under the name of "Jesus is Lord" or somesuch, and then he made the staff yell it out so he could force them to be all Christian and stuff. Very juvenile, very obnoxious, very stupid.

So for all I know, that kid is only estranged from his dad because he thinks he's smarter and more effective and so forth. :|
Never trust a llama with a knife and a sombrero.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:34 pm I can't find it, but I know I saw a video once of one of his kids going up to the counter in a pizza restaurant and ordering a pizza under the name of "Jesus is Lord" or somesuch, and then he made the staff yell it out so he could force them to be all Christian and stuff. Very juvenile, very obnoxious, very stupid.

So for all I know, that kid is only estranged from his dad because he thinks he's smarter and more effective and so forth. :|
That was Jr. Dolla', Eric, and it was at a Taco Bell :wink:
AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Now this is a surprise (said no-one).

Kent Hovind, controversial creationist preacher known as ‘Dr. Dino,’ arrested in domestic assault case

(RNS) — A controversial Alabama creationist preacher who recently sued the federal government for half a billion dollars was arrested in late July in a domestic assault case.

An arrest warrant dated July 19 alleges that the Rev. Kent Hovind, known as “Dr. Dino,” intentionally threw his estranged wife, Cindi Lincoln, to the ground, causing bodily harm.

The same day the arrest warrant was filed, Lincoln also filed a petition for a protective order against Hovind in Conecuh County, Alabama. The petition alleges one of Hovind’s associates threatened Lincoln with a gun in January 2021. The alleged domestic assault occurred in October 2020, according to the petition.

https://religionnews.com/2021/08/05/ken ... ault-case/
Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
Frater I*I
Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

He also conned her out of 120K as a "donation" that he would pay her back as a "spousal support" over the next 20 years.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

So it would seem that all is not sweetness and roses in the creationist love nest. Not really a surprise. I always thought his relationship with his original family was abusive on the emotional and verbal level. That and Kent doesn't seem to like it when someone disagrees or does not follow his revealed word.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Pirate Purveyor of the Last Word

Post by . »

Yeah, but I'm disappointed that there were no dinosaurs involved.
All the States incorporated daughter corporations for transaction of business in the 1960s or so. - Some voice in Van Pelt's head, circa 2006.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

Interesting documentary on Kent

Edited to add, he really is deranged. A true malignant narcissist.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
wserra

Post by wserra »

I see that I never followed up on the Hovind-Hansen "lawsuit" against the United States, a USDJ, a couple of AUSAs and others discussed above. I put the quotes around "lawsuit" because that is the most polite way to describe 18 pages of random words filed in a clerk's office, and the resulting case that has everything possible wrong with it.

The bottom line: dismissed back in June of 2021. Why? Well, according to the R&R and the USDJ adopting it, (1) lack of standing, (2) failure to state a claim, (3) judicial immunity, (4) prosecutorial immunity, (5) sovereign immunity, (6) testifying witness immunity, (7) running of the statute of limitations, (8) certain parties not acting under color of law (a necessity for a 1983 action) and (9) Heck v. Humphrey (which requires a favorable termination of an underlying case for a 1983 to be based on it). The District Judge added the observation that the complaint was "frivolous and delusional". Other than those quibbles, it was a model for future pro se litigants.

Appeal to Eleventh Circuit dismissed in September of 2021 for failure to prosecute.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume