The one and only Kent Hovind and related thread

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Re: The one and only Kent Hovind and related thread

Post by AndyK »

is John J Schlabach still an EA?

If so, perhaps he shouldn't be. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by NYGman »

No longer an EA, thankfully. Although based on some research, he seems to have left a trail of destruction in his wake...
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Samphire
Cannoneer
Cannoneer

Post by Samphire »

The irony is that the tax letters do not deal with the matters concerning which Kent was indicted and convicted. He wasted $150 of God's money in getting the wrong answers to the wrong questions.
NYGman

Post by NYGman »

I don't believe he actually read these letters, or even understood them if he did read them. I think he was instructed by his then Guru to pay these people their fee to get a letter to cover himself. The fact that the letters were not on point, matters little to Kent. These letters contained the right magic words that he could show in court to prove he was no liable...

I am guessing it was all part of a de-tax-yourself package popular in the late 80's and into the 90's. For a small fee, you could buy the documents you needed, the proper instructions to file returns, a lawyer and accountant recommendation, plus names of Lawyers that would write comfort letters for a fee.

I remember during that time, my father, a Dentist also in Florida as is Kent, was approached by several of these outfits, marketing their de-tax yourself plan, geared specifically to Dentists (At least for that week). He even went to a free seminar, but said it sounded a bit to hokey, and just didn't seem legitimate. I am sure they did this for Doctors, Clergy, architects, chiropractors, etc. I am sure Kent went to one of these seminars, and bought it hook line and sinker.
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

My guess, and that is all it is, is that this was a result and part and parcel from Hovind's flirtation with the sovcit/affinity guru(Glen Stoll) that helped set up the legal mess that was his so called religious enterprise and pastoral undertaking. All the trusts and mumbo jumbo that he used to justify not paying taxes, or keeping records, came from this bright light, and he was trustee for a bunch of the Hovind properties until they either had a falling out or parted ways, I don't know which. It appears Hansen may have replaced him for a time unless that too was assumed. Said guru was selling, and still is as far as I know a tax avoidance/reliance package targeted towards sovcits, and particular those of the religious bent. You can see how good it is by the very unholy mess Hovind has gotten himself in to.

Anyway, NYMan, I agree, I seriously doubt that Hovind ever read, or would have understood what the letters actually said. He was buying magic beans against de ebil gubbmint.

Last edited by notorial dissent on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to add guru's name
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

This morning (Tuesday, March 10, 2015), the government filed this document with the Court in Hovind's trial:
GOVERNMENT’S TRIAL BRIEF ON DELIBERATE IGNORANCE

COMES NOW the United States of America and files this trial brief in support of the requested instruction concerning “Deliberate Ignorance as Proof of Knowledge.”

1. On February 24, 2015, the government filed its proposed jury instructions. (Doc. 102). Included in the government’s requested instructions was an instruction concerning deliberate ignorance as proof of knowledge. (Doc. 102).

2. The government submits that said instruction is appropriate in this case based upon the charges contained in the Superseding Indictment and the evidence presented at trial. (Doc. 28). In summary, the government submits that the following evidence supports the requested instruction:

A. Hansen – (1) Defendant Hansen claims he did not know about the source of the information (figures) contained in his liens filed in June, August, and September 2011 (Ex. 15 Series, Ex. 16 Series, and Ex. 17 Series). That is, Hansen claims that Dale LNU [sic] gave him the information and he included it in the liens. (2) Defendant Hansen claims that he did not know that Stoll was “recording” the “claim of lien” (Ex. 27 Series) with the Clerk of Court. (3) Defendant Hansen claims he did not know “he” was willfully violating the Court’s June 2012 Injunction (Ex. 20F).

B. Hovind – (1) Defendant Hovind claims he did not know what Stoll was doing. (2) Defendant Hovind claims he did not know what defendant Hansen was doing. (3) Defendant Hovind claims that he did not know about the Court’s June 2012 Injunction (Ex. 20F) and/or that he was subject to it.

3. The government submits that the following authority in support of its request for the deliberate ignorance instruction: United States v. Arias, 68 F.3d 1327, 1334-35 (11th Cir. 2005) – deliberately insulating oneself from positive knowledge that one is breaking the law is a basis to give the instruction; United States v. Stone, 9 F.3d 934, 937 (11th Cir. 1993) – deliberate ignorance instruction is appropriate when it is shown that defendant “purposely contrived to avoid learning the truth.” (quoting United States v. Barbee, 968 F.2d 1026, 1033 (10th Cir. 1992). United States v. Dean, 487 F.3d 840, 851 (11th Cir. 2007) – deliberate ignorance instruction was entirely appropriate where the evidence supports a finding of both willful blindness and direct knowledge, that is, the District Court did not err by giving the instruction. United States v. Kennard, 472 F.3d 851, 858 (11th Cir. 2006) – upholding the deliberate ignorance instruction, based upon harmless error finding, when the evidence supported actual knowledge or deliberate ignorance. (citing United States v. Stone, 9 F.3d 934 (11th Cir .1993) See also, United States v. Steed, 548 F.3d 961, 977-78 (11th Cir. 2008); United States v. Rivera, 944 F.2d 1563, 1570-71 (11th Cir. 1991).

4. Based upon the evidence presented in this trial, the government submits that a willful blindness instruction is appropriate as to both defendants Hovind and Hansen.

WHEREFORE, the undersigned Assistant United States Attorney files this Trial Brief with the Court.

Respectfully submitted,
PAMELA C. MARSH
United States Attorney
(italic fonts not reproduced).

So Hovind -- and Hansen -- and Stoll -- were each totally clueless as to what Hovind and Hansen and Stoll knew about what dey wuz doin'.

"Yer Honor, I just had no idea that those other guys might be doin' sumptin' illegal. Doin' anything illegal was the furtherest, fartherst thing from my mind!....."

Yeah.

Right.

:roll:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

That's what deliberate ignorance (or willful blindness, or conscious avoidance, thay all mean the same thing) is all about.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
notorial dissent

The question is, and the hope in the minds of Hovind et al, will the jury believe it. I suspect that right about this time the jury is heartily sick of Hovind et al, at least if any of the transcripts I have read are any indication, and any sympathy they might have had a chance at is long gone.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:So Hovind -- and Hansen -- and Stoll -- were each totally clueless as to what Hovind and Hansen and Stoll knew about what dey wuz doin'.
Hovind's best defense is to try to convince the jury that Hovind didn't know what Hovind was doing and, if he did know, he thought it was legal because he told himself so.

It's the old "right hand not knowing what the right hand is doing" defense.

For Hovind, it's either that or the Chewbacca defense.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

LPC wrote:......the Chewbacca defense.
The what?

:thinking:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
wserra

Post by wserra »

Say it ain't so, Famspear! It's a classic.
- David Hume
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

wserra wrote:Say it ain't so, Famspear! It's a classic.
My education obviously is incomplete.

:)
wserra

Post by wserra »

wserra wrote:My comment on that site:
wserra says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
March 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Imperial, Nebraska? Kailua-Kona, Hawaii? Spokane, Washington? Certainly seems as though a guy from Pensacola had to search far and wide to find and buy the opinions he wanted.
I'll bet it's "awaiting moderation".
And, of course, my comment never saw the light of day.

It's hardly the first time we've remarked on it, but it's still ironic after several times. According to these guys, we're oppressors, govt shills, whatever. But they can come here and make their case, such as it is, without censorship. They, on the other hand, tolerate no opposing viewpoints; there is no attempt to refute them, just to suppress them. On the same page that they wouldn't print my comment, they even quote John 8:32: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Of course, "the truth" is what they say it is, and one only knows "the truth" by accepting what they say uncritically. That's their idea of freedom.
- David Hume
LPC

Post by LPC »

Famspear wrote:
LPC wrote:......the Chewbacca defense.
The what?

:thinking:
Wow.

I thought of dropping a hint for newbies. It never occurred to me that I'd troll up a regular.
Dan Evans
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
LPC

Post by LPC »

wserra wrote:On the same page that they wouldn't print my comment, they even quote John 8:32: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
A better quote is from Matt 7:20, "Thus you will know them by their fruits." (A reference to false prophets.)
Dan Evans
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

wserra wrote:
wserra wrote:My comment on that site:
wserra says:
Your comment is awaiting moderation.
March 4, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Imperial, Nebraska? Kailua-Kona, Hawaii? Spokane, Washington? Certainly seems as though a guy from Pensacola had to search far and wide to find and buy the opinions he wanted.
I'll bet it's "awaiting moderation".
And, of course, my comment never saw the light of day.

It's hardly the first time we've remarked on it, but it's still ironic after several times. According to these guys, we're oppressors, govt shills, whatever. But they can come here and make their case, such as it is, without censorship. They, on the other hand, tolerate no opposing viewpoints; there is no attempt to refute them, just to suppress them. On the same page that they wouldn't print my comment, they even quote John 8:32: "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." Of course, "the truth" is what they say it is, and one only knows "the truth" by accepting what they say uncritically. That's their idea of freedom.

I am an educated man, but I still can't figure out why they call me sheep.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
notorial dissent

Gregg wrote:I am an educated man....
There's your problem, you've been blinded by all that high falutin' fancy edjumikation, at least according to them. Why I'll bet you can even count to 20 without taking your shoes off. They're the only ones who've seen the light so to speak.
darling
First Mate
First Mate

Post by darling »

In case anyone didn't migrate to the other sites discussing this more... fervently?

The Jury convicted Hovind on one of four counts he was facing, and his co-defendant Paul John Hansen on two of five.

Hovind was found guilty of contempt for filing paperwork disputing the government's right to sell his property. The jury was unable to agree on the three other charges Hovind was facing.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2015/03/1 ... /70205932/
Hyrion

Post by Hyrion »

Makes one wonder....

The Gurus make plenty of suspect claims, but one in particular is along the lines:
  • The people aren't gonna take it anymore, we have a million people backing us
I wonder how many trials it'll take with how many Juries ruling against them to help them realize they may not be such a large portion of society after all.
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

Hyrion wrote:Makes one wonder....

The Gurus make plenty of suspect claims, but one in particular is along the lines:
  • The people aren't gonna take it anymore, we have a million people backing us
I wonder how many trials it'll take with how many Juries ruling against them to help them realize they may not be such a large portion of society after all.
Given the fact that you can probably find a million people who believe that the Earth is hollow, that isn't saying much.
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools