From the San Antonio Express News

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

NYGman
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Re: From the San Antonio Express News

Post by NYGman »

NY Times Article on this group of LARP devotees...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/10/us ... ed-us.html
The Hardest Thing in the World to Understand is Income Taxes -Albert Einstein

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose - As sung by Janis Joplin (and others) Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

The linked New York Times article mentions that the "vice president" of this group of wackadoosters:
......a retired telephone company worker, sent a letter in 2011 to the governor of Oklahoma, informing her that she faced indictment because her state’s counties and territories were “trespassing inside the geographical boundaries” of the nation.....
I'm not sure which could turn out worse for these crackpots: messing with real Texas officials, as they have been doing, or messing with the real governor of Oklahoma.

:thinking:

All I can say is: "Don't mess with Texas."

More from the article:
The Republic’s president, Mr. [John] Jarnecke, who runs a construction business in Fredericksburg, said it was inaccurate to call the members secessionists. “We in the Republic do not need to secede, because we never ceded it to them to start with.’’
This must have been very confusing for the government of Texas which (rumor has it) claimed to have "seceded" from the United States of America back in 1861.

:brickwall:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

More from the article:
...After the raid, the V.F.W. hall prohibited the group from meeting there again, so the Republic’s next congressional session will be held at Ace Buffet and Grill in Waco.....
What? Wasn't there a Denny's available nearby?

:lol:
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

More gems from the article:
....“They’re a harmless, clueless and interesting group of generally nice older guys with too much time on their hands,” said Jerry Patterson, a former Texas land commissioner, who recalled receiving Republic letters demanding he vacate the office. “Certainly law enforcement has something else to do. They have never tried to enforce their demands beyond writing amusing letters.”
"Generally nice older guys with too much time on their hands"?

:roll:

Maybe it's time that the kids and grandkids consider doing what is sometimes euphemistically called an "intervention" with grandpa, for his own good.
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Famspear wrote:More from the article:
...After the raid, the V.F.W. hall prohibited the group from meeting there again, so the Republic’s next congressional session will be held at Ace Buffet and Grill in Waco.....
What? Wasn't there a Denny's available nearby?

They got a tie in deal on "Republic Pancakes" if they could arrange Congress meet on Tuesdays before noon.
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Famspear wrote:Maybe it's time that the kids and grandkids consider doing what is sometimes euphemistically called an "intervention" with grandpa, for his own good.
It's called "Bingo." Nothing works quite as well at keeping grandparents off the streets and away from secession meetings.
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Observer wrote:
Famspear wrote:Maybe it's time that the kids and grandkids consider doing what is sometimes euphemistically called an "intervention" with grandpa, for his own good.
It's called "Bingo." Nothing works quite as well at keeping grandparents off the streets and away from secession meetings.
Gregg wrote:....They got a tie in deal on "Republic Pancakes" if they could arrange Congress meet on Tuesdays before noon.

What I find amusing is that although someone in this group of 'Doosters thought that the group could intimidate the governor of Oklahoma, they apparently consider themselves subordinate to the operators of the V.F.W. hall in Bryan, Texas. They got booted from the V.F.W. hall, and they're slinking away -- with plans to have the next meeting at a restaurant up the road, in Waco.

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Post by Burnaby49 »

The Observer wrote:
Could be an expensive intervention. I'm just reading some divorce cases for a publication I'm working on and one of the issues was that the unemployed husband was spending $500 a week on bingo.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
The Observer
Further Moderator

Post by The Observer »

Burnaby49 wrote:Could be an expensive intervention. I'm just reading some divorce cases for a publication I'm working on and one of the issues was that the unemployed husband was spending $500 a week on bingo.
Probably because he was absolutely sure that the "system" that someone sold him for winning bingo games was a winner.

But you know, a $500-a-week bingo habit may be no worse than a sovrun-koolade habit, and even then, the bingo addict can say, "Well, at least I didn't think the laws didn't apply to me."
"I could be dead wrong on this" - Irwin Schiff

"Do you realize I may even be delusional with respect to my income tax beliefs? " - Irwin Schiff
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

This is old news now, but for purposes of updating this thread, here it is:
Two charged in ‘Republic of Texas’ attempt to mess with judge
By Zeke MacCormack
[San Antonio Express-News]

Thursday, June 4, 2015

KERRVILLE — Four months after authorities here organized a raid on a Republic of Texas meeting in Bryan over phony court documents sent to a local judge and lawyer, the first arrest has been made in the case.

Kerr County Sheriff Rusty Hierholzer said deputies on Thursday arrested Susan Cammack of Hunt [Hunt, Texas] on three charges of simulating legal process. Still being sought is a second member of the group who faces they [sic] same three Class A misdemeanor charges.

The complaints filed Tuesday accuse both defendants of sending to 198th District Judge Rex Emerson a set of faux legal documents directing him to appear Feb. 21 at a VFW Hall in Bryan, where the secessionist group meets.

[ . . . ]

Bond was set at $2,500 on Cammack. She had reportedly turned to fellow Republic of Texas members for help when Judge Emerson ruled against her in a lawsuit she filed here against a bank and title company in a foreclosure dispute.

Besides Emerson, authorities say the fraud also targeted Bill Arnold, a lawyer who defended the title company that Cammack sued [ . . . ]

The phony documents issued in January appeared to bear the signature of David J. Kroupa, a chiropractor from Katy, in his claimed capacity as chief justice of the international Common Law Court for the Republic of Texas.

[ . . . .]
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

The Houston Chronicle for Monday, September 14, 2015 has a long article on this group. The article begins on page one and continues on page A6. Long article; I've saved it but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. The article does mention Susan Cammack and David Kroupa.
Famspear

Post by Famspear »

I did a little checking. It looks like David John Kroupa, the chiropractor, was arrested a while back, and was charged in the Kerr County, Texas County Court at Law with three misdemeanor counts of simulating legal process under Texas Penal Code section 32.48(e). It is not entirely clear, but it appears he pleaded guilty to one count, and got community service and some fines, with a payment plan. The State of Texas v. David Kroupa, case no. CR150463, County Court at Law, Kerr County, Texas; filed June 2, 2015.

Susan Rebecca Cammack was charged (also in Kerr County, Texas) with three misdemeanor counts under the same statute. Looks like a bunch of subpoenas were issued on September 9. No trial date set yet, as far as I see. The State of Texas v. Susan Rebecca Cammack, case no. CR150462, County Court at Law, Kerr County, Texas; filed June 2, 2015.