Demo's book at last!

Moderators: Prof, Judge Roy Bean

Burnaby49
Quatloosian Ambassador to the CaliCanadians

Demo's book at last!

Post by Burnaby49 »

I've been off on a trip and just returned to find a page of unread discussions and also news (not from Quatloos) that Demo's book is out. I saw nothing in the ongoing discussion titles that noted this publishing landmark so here it is;

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Seditionists-E ... 113727977X

If this is posted elsewhere I'll delete the discussion.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeI-J2PhdGs
Pottapaug1938
Supreme Prophet (Junior Division)

Re: Demo's book at last!

Post by Pottapaug1938 »

We have to wait until November 17 to see it; but at least, at long last, see it we will!

I'll wait until she does her book tour....
"We've been attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture." -- Pastor Ray Mummert, Dover, PA, during an attempt to introduce creationism -- er, "intelligent design", into the Dover Public Schools
Judge Roy Bean
Judge for the District of Quatloosia

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

November? :?
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

Judge Roy Bean wrote:November? :?
Maybe Demo can step in and explain.
"Yes Burnaby49, I do in fact believe all process servers are peace officers. I've good reason to believe so." Robert Menard in his May 28, 2015 video "Process Servers".

notorial dissent
A Balthazar of Quatloosian Truth

Post by notorial dissent »

Here is the US listing for the book. I've never heard of Palgrave Macmillan, but publishers change names all the time. The Amazon listing indicates that Nov is the actual release date. The last we heard from Demo was that she was having problems with the publisher giving her a date, this may well be the result. If Amazon is running true to form, they will have the book in time to get it in the mail for receipt on the actual release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Seditionists-Expl ... ditionists
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
noblepa
Admiral of the Quatloosian Seas

Post by noblepa »

notorial dissent wrote:Here is the US listing for the book. I've never heard of Palgrave Macmillan, but publishers change names all the time. The Amazon listing indicates that Nov is the actual release date. The last we heard from Demo was that she was having problems with the publisher giving her a date, this may well be the result. If Amazon is running true to form, they will have the book in time to get it in the mail for receipt on the actual release date.

http://www.amazon.com/Seditionists-Expl ... ditionists

Here is the "About Us" page of Palgrave Macmillan's website. It is apparently an imprint or wholly owned subsidiary of MacMillan, a well known publisher.

http://www.palgrave.com/page/about-us/

It does not appear to be a vanity press, where anyone can publish anything they want, if they (the author) are willing to pay for it.
wserra
Quatloosian Federal Witness
Quatloosian Federal Witness

Post by wserra »

noblepa wrote:It does not appear to be a vanity press
Oh, it's definitely not a vanity press. They paid Demo an advance, several years ago.

That's probably why she's been making herself scarce lately.
"A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
- David Hume
LightinDarkness

Post by LightinDarkness »

In academia we are a bit obsessed with publisher rankings, and Palgrave Macmillian is considered to be very respectable among the social sciences. The perception of publishers goes something like:

Holy Grail/Makes Your Career - Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press

Best Presses for Mere Mortals - Routledge, major university press (Harvard/Columbia/Staford/Yale etc.)

Works for Tenure - Palgrave Macmillian, Elseiver, other university presses (Chicago/Kansas/Cornell etc.)

You Could Do Worse - ME Sharpe, John Wiley, Harper & Row, Random House, etc.

Run Away Quickly/Vanity Press - Ashgate, Edward Elgar

Not that it really matters to anyone outside of academia, but I am always fascinated by academia's rank obsessions.
Famspear
Knight Templar of the Sacred Tax

Post by Famspear »

This is great news!
"My greatest fear is that the audience will beat me to the punch line." -- David Mamet
Gregg
Conde de Quatloo

Post by Gregg »

Does this mean the Iraqi Dinar is gonna RV?
Supreme Commander of The Imperial Illuminati Air Force
Your concern is duly noted, filed, folded, stamped, sealed with wax and affixed with a thumbprint in red ink, forgotten, recalled, considered, reconsidered, appealed, denied and quietly ignored.
obadiah
Pirate
Pirate

Post by obadiah »

I'm freezing down here! Would one of the Illuminati please turn up the heat. Pretty please!
1. There is a kind of law that I like, which are my own rules, which I call common law. It applies to me.
2. There are many other kinds of law but they don’t apply to me, because I say so."
LLAP
grixit
Recycler of Paytriot Fantasies

Post by grixit »

LightinDarkness wrote:In academia we are a bit obsessed with publisher rankings, and Palgrave Macmillian is considered to be very respectable among the social sciences. The perception of publishers goes something like:

Holy Grail/Makes Your Career - Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press

Best Presses for Mere Mortals - Routledge, major university press (Harvard/Columbia/Staford/Yale etc.)

Works for Tenure - Palgrave Macmillian, Elseiver, other university presses (Chicago/Kansas/Cornell etc.)

You Could Do Worse - ME Sharpe, John Wiley, Harper & Row, Random House, etc.

Run Away Quickly/Vanity Press - Ashgate, Edward Elgar

Not that it really matters to anyone outside of academia, but I am always fascinated by academia's rank obsessions.
What about Holt, Reinhart, and Winston?
Three cheers for the Lesser Evil!

10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2
. . . . . . Dr Pepper
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . 4
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

LightinDarkness wrote:Not that it really matters to anyone outside of academia, but I am always fascinated by academia's rank obsessions.
It would be consistent with the snarky comment someone once made (can't remember who) that academic disputes are so vicious because the stakes are so low.
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean »

grixit wrote: ...

What about Holt, Reinhart, and Winston?
Textbooks. Under another name - Holt McDougal.
The Honorable Judge Roy Bean
The world is a car and you're a crash-test dummy.
The Devil Makes Three
LightinDarkness

Post by LightinDarkness »

LPC wrote:
LightinDarkness wrote:Not that it really matters to anyone outside of academia, but I am always fascinated by academia's rank obsessions.
It would be consistent with the snarky comment someone once made (can't remember who) that academic disputes are so vicious because the stakes are so low.
I love that quote! It is very true. Although the stakes are sky high for those of us in academia, because the ability to get tenure is based entirely on peoples rank obsessed perception of your publication record. In my field, one article at one of the two top journals is "worth" 3-4 articles at a low ranked journal. Works same way for books. You could get tenure with 2 Cambridge University Press books, maybe even 1 if the reviewer comments praise it. You'd need many more books the lower along the ranking list you get (and the bottom rank won't count for anything, in most cases).

And yeah, H, R, & W are textbooks, which won't count for anything in terms of tenure or promotion at most universities. Although they certainly count for your personal bank account - faculty with popular textbooks can make huge amounts of money from the textbook sales. I know people who get tenure and spend the rest of their time doing textbooks for this reason.

Writing a book at a respectable press as Demo has done though is a huge undertaking. I am targeting a book from my dissertation at Routledge and from proposal to publication will probably be 3-4 years...or longer...
Burnaby49

Post by Burnaby49 »

University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.

Henry A. Kissinger
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... 8rk2GCu.99

ArthurWankspittle
Slavering Minister of Auto-erotic Insinuation

Post by ArthurWankspittle »

I'm not buying a copy unless it plays "Demo's Imperial March" when you open it.
"There is something about true madness that goes beyond mere eccentricity." Will Self
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Most important question:

Do we have to track her down on the book tour to purchase autographed copies or is there some other way?
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders
LPC
Trusted Keeper of the All True FAQ

Post by LPC »

AndyK wrote:Most important question:

Do we have to track her down on the book tour to purchase autographed copies or is there some other way?
And can we pay in quatlooses? (Quatlees? Now that I think about it, what the hell is the plural? Or is quatloos already plural? Two quatloos, one quatloo?)
Dan Evans
Foreman of the Unified Citizens' Grand Jury for Pennsylvania
(And author of the Tax Protester FAQ: evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html)
"Nothing is more terrible than ignorance in action." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
AndyK
Illuminatian Revenue Supremo Emeritus

Post by AndyK »

Based on probably apocryphal information concerning the author, payment would be acceptable in the form of very old fermented grape juice or various forms of yeast-infected grains.
Taxes are the price we pay for a free society and to cover the responsibilities of the evaders